X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger wing pay SNAFU

scanned from today's Indo letters page.
    thought we had one of these thread before but I couldn't find it
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Oh boy the shit is gonna hit the fan over that.What he is saying is true but he should have not gone to the press with it.As serving soldiers we all know the score about non authorised communication with the press.You just dont do it!.The former chief got a slap on the wrist for doing so only recently.Also i dont think that revealing the strenghts and weaknesses with regard to experience levels of such a vital state asset should be made public.
    I just hope his buddies cover him and he avoids the ensuing witchhunt.The result if he doesnt could be a rtu
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

'Half of the assault team', thats fairly significant, i wonder are hte DOD addressing this in anyway, prior to 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Headzilla View Post
        'Half of the assault team', thats fairly significant, i wonder are hte DOD addressing this in anyway, prior to 2010
        Somehow, I DON'T think you'll see THAT in the papers
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Army Ranger pay needs big review
          Wednesday May 21 2008

Given the recent positive media coverage of the advance deployment of the Army Ranger Wing to Chad, I feel it is an opportune time to highlight some issues which need to be aired if this highly skilled and respected group is to continue to provide such a valuable role for our Defence Forces.

In the past eight years, the Army Ranger Wing has lost almost half of its Assault Team Members -- these are the men in potentially hostile, foreign, inhospitable areas preparing the ground for regular Defence Force members of different nationalities.
          There are two main reasons for this decline in numbers -- firstly, little difference in pay between unit members and comparative ranks in the conventional army and secondly, a lack of promotional prospects within the Army Ranger Wing.

The Army is currently under review and the Government expects to publish a White Paper by 2010 which will include proposals for how the force should be structured into the next decade and beyond.

Now is the time to debate and influence how best to secure the future of the Army Ranger Wing by addressing the issues concerning the men on the ground.
          New members need to be encouraged and enticed to join the unit by offering appropriate remuneration and opportunities for career growth while carrying out a difficult and increasingly essential role.

A member of the Irish Army
          Ranger Wing
          Chad

Comment

Apparently ex-Irish Rangers have been much in demand by 'contractors' in Iraq the last few years - could this have anything to do with the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
              Apparently ex-Irish Rangers have been much in demand by 'contractors' in Iraq the last few years - could this have anything to do with the problem?

possibly.....

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                well the guy say's 8 year's so thats 3 years before Iraq, you look at most other countries they have special pay for guy's in units like that plus nowadays bonus/incentives....look at what the US pay's therir guy's, I'd be pissed off too.
                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
                  well the guy say's 8 year's so thats 3 years before Iraq, you look at most other countries they have special pay for guy's in units like that plus nowadays bonus/incentives....look at what the US pay's therir guy's, I'd be pissed off too.
                  There is a weekly Ranger Wing allowance for members of the ARW in addition to their normal pay.

Problem is, it's a pittance for what they provide
                  Last edited by FMolloy; 22 May 2008, 15:08.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

as much as the RDF allowance for a PDF man?
                    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      There is a weekly Ranger Wing allowance for members of the ARW in addition to their normal
                      pay.

Problem is, it's a pittance for what they provide

In comparison to other SF Units, yes its pittance.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_Army01 View Post
                        secondly, a lack of promotional prospects within the Army Ranger Wing.
                        Within the Wing maybe, but correct me if I'm wrong but privates get promoted to corporal on becoming members (I presume they have to pass basic skills course). Also the career prospects (within the DF in general) greatly improve, there are a lot of senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Within the Wing maybe, but correct me if I'm wrong but privates get promoted to corporal on becoming members (I presume they have to pass basic skills course).
                          OK, you're correct, I understand that part.

Also the career prospects (within the DF in general) greatly improve, there are a lot of senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders!
                          I don't understand what you mean here. What does "senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders" mean?
                          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

He's referring to the Fianóglach patch.

see
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Within the Wing maybe, but correct me if I'm wrong but privates get promoted to corporal on becoming members (I presume they have to pass basic skills course). Also the career prospects (within the DF in general) greatly improve, there are a lot of senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders!

They get Acting Cpl Paid during the Skills. Off course if they don't pass Skills they revert.

Tabs as in Yes Ex Rangers who have served in the Unit for a period of time. I know very few guys who bother putting up the Tab who have just passed Selection and not the Skills.

I also know a fair few Cpls who haven't progressed, and have done over 10 years in the Unit.
                              Last edited by Craghopper; 22 May 2008, 15:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X