Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranger wing pay SNAFU

scanned from today's Indo letters page.
    thought we had one of these thread before but I couldn't find it
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy the shit is gonna hit the fan over that.What he is saying is true but he should have not gone to the press with it.As serving soldiers we all know the score about non authorised communication with the press.You just dont do it!.The former chief got a slap on the wrist for doing so only recently.Also i dont think that revealing the strenghts and weaknesses with regard to experience levels of such a vital state asset should be made public.
    I just hope his buddies cover him and he avoids the ensuing witchhunt.The result if he doesnt could be a rtu
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

Post Thanks / Like
    'Half of the assault team', thats fairly significant, i wonder are hte DOD addressing this in anyway, prior to 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Headzilla View Post
    'Half of the assault team', thats fairly significant, i wonder are hte DOD addressing this in anyway, prior to 2010
    Somehow, I DON'T think you'll see THAT in the papers
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Army Ranger pay needs big review
    Wednesday May 21 2008

Given the recent positive media coverage of the advance deployment of the Army Ranger Wing to Chad, I feel it is an opportune time to highlight some issues which need to be aired if this highly skilled and respected group is to continue to provide such a valuable role for our Defence Forces.

In the past eight years, the Army Ranger Wing has lost almost half of its Assault Team Members -- these are the men in potentially hostile, foreign, inhospitable areas preparing the ground for regular Defence Force members of different nationalities.
    There are two main reasons for this decline in numbers -- firstly, little difference in pay between unit members and comparative ranks in the conventional army and secondly, a lack of promotional prospects within the Army Ranger Wing.

The Army is currently under review and the Government expects to publish a White Paper by 2010 which will include proposals for how the force should be structured into the next decade and beyond.

Now is the time to debate and influence how best to secure the future of the Army Ranger Wing by addressing the issues concerning the men on the ground.
    New members need to be encouraged and enticed to join the unit by offering appropriate remuneration and opportunities for career growth while carrying out a difficult and increasingly essential role.

A member of the Irish Army
    Ranger Wing
    Chad

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/le...w-1381671.html

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently ex-Irish Rangers have been much in demand by 'contractors' in Iraq the last few years - could this have anything to do with the problem?

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
    Apparently ex-Irish Rangers have been much in demand by 'contractors' in Iraq the last few years - could this have anything to do with the problem?

possibly.....

"Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
    well the guy say's 8 year's so thats 3 years before Iraq, you look at most other countries they have special pay for guy's in units like that plus nowadays bonus/incentives....look at what the US pay's therir guy's, I'd be pissed off too.
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mutter nutter View Post
    well the guy say's 8 year's so thats 3 years before Iraq, you look at most other countries they have special pay for guy's in units like that plus nowadays bonus/incentives....look at what the US pay's therir guy's, I'd be pissed off too.
    There is a weekly Ranger Wing allowance for members of the ARW in addition to their normal pay.

Problem is, it's a pittance for what they provide
    Last edited by FMolloy; 22nd May 2008 at 14:08.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    as much as the RDF allowance for a PDF man?
    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    There is a weekly Ranger Wing allowance for members of the ARW in addition to their normal
    pay.

Problem is, it's a pittance for what they provide

In comparison to other SF Units, yes its pittance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Army01 View Post
    secondly, a lack of promotional prospects within the Army Ranger Wing.
    Within the Wing maybe, but correct me if I'm wrong but privates get promoted to corporal on becoming members (I presume they have to pass basic skills course). Also the career prospects (within the DF in general) greatly improve, there are a lot of senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Within the Wing maybe, but correct me if I'm wrong but privates get promoted to corporal on becoming members (I presume they have to pass basic skills course).
    OK, you're correct, I understand that part.

Also the career prospects (within the DF in general) greatly improve, there are a lot of senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders!
    I don't understand what you mean here. What does "senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders" mean?
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's referring to the Fianóglach patch.

see
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Within the Wing maybe, but correct me if I'm wrong but privates get promoted to corporal on becoming members (I presume they have to pass basic skills course). Also the career prospects (within the DF in general) greatly improve, there are a lot of senior ranks with tabs on their shoulders!

They get Acting Cpl Paid during the Skills. Off course if they don't pass Skills they revert.

Tabs as in Yes Ex Rangers who have served in the Unit for a period of time. I know very few guys who bother putting up the Tab who have just passed Selection and not the Skills.

I also know a fair few Cpls who haven't progressed, and have done over 10 years in the Unit.
    Last edited by Craghopper; 22nd May 2008 at 14:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    He's referring to the Fianóglach patch.

see
    Oh yeah, gotcha. :wink:
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    what incident/meeting did the arw have in chad with rebels. only heard a small bit of it on the news
    Last edited by golden rivet; 22nd May 2008 at 23:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's on the ireland.com site but you need a subscription.
    Here's a copy on boards.ie
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055298695
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just read the post in boards.ie, They came out of nowhere ,, does not say a lot for ARW capacity, and then the arrogance of the spokesman to say that the rebels would not have the capacity that we have..Luckily for the Irish the rebels did not decide to attack Not much good having firepower if u are wiped out in an ambush .. These rebels are on their home turf , know the terrian, have battle experience , have a different attitude to casualties and dying than the western mentality ( Inshallah and all that) and do not need anything like the logistics lines that the EU force require, they can probably survive on a lt of water a day, sleep wrapped up in a blanket on the ground , wipe their ass with grass or sand have well proven weapons , Yes its of the thread but I fear another Niemba,black hawk down scenario , underestimate the enemy oh sorry there is no enemy we are here to keep the peace.

Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flash bang View Post
    as much as the RDF allowance for a PDF man?
    ARW Allowance is €154.01 weekly.

But a whack of it goes back to the tax man of course.
    Last edited by Groundhog; 23rd May 2008 at 11:24.

Say NO to violence against Women

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Post Thanks / Like
    The SAS had the same problem with money before the Iranian embassy thing in 81. After that Maggie introduced Special Forces allowances and other perks.

Maybe they need a good siege to higher their profile!!!!!
    Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Post Thanks / Like
    In that article it says that a Ranger source said 'The rebels came out of nowhere', seems a bit mad that, im sure they would have done a full recce on the village, 200-300 rebels dont just materialise out of thin air, especially considering it was the Ranger wing, sounds like crap to me.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not, head? Better units than the Rangers have been caught shitty before, you know.Bandit's point is very pertinent.A touch of white man's arrogance is the worst kind of mindset, especially when few in the DF have long-term experience of Africa.
    regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    good point Gttc, but 200-300 seems a bit much for the expression 'they came out of nowhere'

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way I read the Article they were doing a quick Recce before the rest of the Rangers came in. They say that some stayed back while a few went in...

Thread Information