• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    He's referring to the Fianóglach patch.

see
    Oh yeah, gotcha. :wink:
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

what incident/meeting did the arw have in chad with rebels. only heard a small bit of it on the news
      Last edited by golden rivet; 23 May 2008, 00:48.

Comment

It's on the ireland.com site but you need a subscription.
        Here's a copy on boards.ie
        http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055298695
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Just read the post in boards.ie, They came out of nowhere ,, does not say a lot for ARW capacity, and then the arrogance of the spokesman to say that the rebels would not have the capacity that we have..Luckily for the Irish the rebels did not decide to attack Not much good having firepower if u are wiped out in an ambush .. These rebels are on their home turf , know the terrian, have battle experience , have a different attitude to casualties and dying than the western mentality ( Inshallah and all that) and do not need anything like the logistics lines that the EU force require, they can probably survive on a lt of water a day, sleep wrapped up in a blanket on the ground , wipe their ass with grass or sand have well proven weapons , Yes its of the thread but I fear another Niemba,black hawk down scenario , underestimate the enemy oh sorry there is no enemy we are here to keep the peace.

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
            as much as the RDF allowance for a PDF man?
            ARW Allowance is €154.01 weekly.

But a whack of it goes back to the tax man of course.
            Last edited by Groundhog; 23 May 2008, 12:24.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
            My favourite moment was when the
            Originally posted by hedgehog
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The SAS had the same problem with money before the Iranian embassy thing in 81. After that Maggie introduced Special Forces allowances and other perks.

Maybe they need a good siege to higher their profile!!!!!
              Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

In that article it says that a Ranger source said 'The rebels came out of nowhere', seems a bit mad that, im sure they would have done a full recce on the village, 200-300 rebels dont just materialise out of thin air, especially considering it was the Ranger wing, sounds like crap to me.

Comment

Why not, head? Better units than the Rangers have been caught shitty before, you know.Bandit's point is very pertinent.A touch of white man's arrogance is the worst kind of mindset, especially when few in the DF have long-term experience of Africa.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

good point Gttc, but 200-300 seems a bit much for the expression 'they came out of nowhere'

Comment

The way I read the Article they were doing a quick Recce before the rest of the Rangers came in. They say that some stayed back while a few went in...
                      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Battle in Chad

Does the wing have eyes in the sky from other EUFOR contributors? Do our boys even have top cover????Where were the french recce air craft!!!!!! I dunno if any of you read Combat and Survival but this month has an article on the mission in Chad and to be honest ladies it ****in war out there!!! Great pictures of a UFDD technical destroyed plus a body or two after battle,, the rebels made shit of Chadian Army unit armed with Isreali mad RAM APCs,, These Chadian Forces are kitted out with Isreali weapons,, digital combat uniforms even, yet the rebels walked over them,, 1 enemy convoy was 240 4x4 vehicles crossed the Sudanese border,,, not far from Abeche!!! Dont like the thoughts of any of ours put in that situ,, granted id say the rangers didnt faulter but 300!!! come on like!!!
                        The chadian president Idriss Deby took command of a battle in his APC Command veh. and guess what he fell into a trap and was surrounded!!! but he got out due to a Hind Attack heli hovered on the spot and gave everything it had to the rebels,, wasnt shot down either but badly damaged and the belorussian crewman got a bit of a pasting!! Far play the saved the President!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                          Just read the post in boards.ie, They came out of nowhere ,, does not say a lot for ARW capacity, and then the arrogance of the spokesman to say that the rebels would not have the capacity that we have..Luckily for the Irish the rebels did not decide to attack Not much good having firepower if u are wiped out in an ambush .. These rebels are on their home turf , know the terrian, have battle experience , have a different attitude to casualties and dying than the western mentality ( Inshallah and all that) and do not need anything like the logistics lines that the EU force require, they can probably survive on a lt of water a day, sleep wrapped up in a blanket on the ground , wipe their ass with grass or sand have well proven weapons , Yes its of the thread but I fear another Niemba,black hawk down scenario , underestimate the enemy oh sorry there is no enemy we are here to keep the peace.
                          I served with the "spokesman" at home and abroad. He is not arrogant and never has been, he is in fact a fine Officer. I'm sure his assessment of the capabilities of the rebels has been formed from sound intelligence and research, unlike the crock of shit you posted.

Comment

I am sure there many fine officers who have gotten in wrong, Like the fine russian or british, officers who got in wrong re Afghanistan or the US officers in Vietnam, or the brits in Ireland many years ago, do I need to go on.
                            The facts are that a significant proportion of the most highly trained unit of the DF was surronded by a numerically superior rebel force ,,, and as there own member is quoted as saying they came out of nowhere.. in other words not detected until they were surronded.. Now does this reflect on the lack of capacity of the arw or the capacity of the rebels? If it is not a reflection on the ARW capacity then how did they allow themselves to get into this position .. Questions questions,,
                            As regards arrogance whether the individual is arrogant or not is neither here nor there .. the statement he made smacks of arrogance etc. As regards it being based on sound intelligence etc it does not really fly in the face of what had already transpired ,
                            How do I base my crock of shit , , over 20 years in Africa, and some time also in Asia some in military/paramilitary / civilian role and experience of operations conflict and post in many of the continents trouble spots with several different rebel groups that have included Sudan, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Somalia, DRC, Uganda , Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Palestine .. Yes it does not include Chad.
                            So If u dont like what u hear dont try and throw shit at the messenger instead look at what is being said and the real concerns that are being raised.

Comment

Bandit form your c.v you are painting yourself as a merc.Am i correct ?(of course you will say i am not)May i ask what ,if any ,is your connection to the irish defence forces?And your first hand experience of it?:confused:Also what "concerns " do you have to raise.It seems to me that most of your posts imply that you have more knowledge/skills than the professionals.Could you qualify this?
                              Regards,Apod.
                              Last edited by apod; 24 May 2008, 14:00.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                                I am sure there many fine officers who have gotten in wrong, Like the fine russian or british, officers who got in wrong re Afghanistan or the US officers in Vietnam, or the brits in Ireland many years ago, do I need to go on.
                                The facts are that a significant proportion of the most highly trained unit of the DF was surronded by a numerically superior rebel force ,,, and as there own member is quoted as saying they came out of nowhere.. in other words not detected until they were surronded.. Now does this reflect on the lack of capacity of the arw or the capacity of the rebels? If it is not a reflection on the ARW capacity then how did they allow themselves to get into this position .. Questions questions,,
                                As regards arrogance whether the individual is arrogant or not is neither here nor there .. the statement he made smacks of arrogance etc. As regards it being based on sound intelligence etc it does not really fly in the face of what had already transpired ,
                                How do I base my crock of shit , , over 20 years in Africa, and some time also in Asia some in military/paramilitary / civilian role and experience of operations conflict and post in many of the continents trouble spots with several different rebel groups that have included Sudan, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Somalia, DRC, Uganda , Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Palestine .. Yes it does not include Chad.
                                So If u dont like what u hear dont try and throw shit at the messenger instead look at what is being said and the real concerns that are being raised.
                                You're a walt and a bullshit merchant. PM me your CV and I'll have it verified. Otherwise Foxtrot Oscar and stop commenting on situations you obviously know fcuk all about. Africa 20 years blah blah blah.... wanker

Comment

Working...
                                X