Naval air ops no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uav

One way of providing ship-borne helicopters, without involving the Air Corps....?

Comment

• Navy Alouette III...

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Was watching on Tv earlier,in an interview with President Musharraf of Pakistan,It showed the Pakistani Navy on Patrol,they seem to be quite happy to use Allouette 3 types from the Helidecks of their Type 21s. Was it ever considered,or tried here?
      If nothing else it would keep the skills associated with Naval air ops alive.
      I know it's too late now, but for historical interest....

Last edited by thebig C; 21 March 2007, 21:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by carrington View Post
        One way of providing ship-borne helicopters, without involving the Air Corps....?
        Yes indeed, and especially useful for the blue/green ship I think.
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• naval helicopters

If the Naval Service were ever to get its own helicopters, what type should be acquired? There's an interesting survey of naval helicopters in this article:

The realistic options for the NS seem to be the Eurocopter Fennec or Panther, or the Agusta Westland Lynx. The Fennec is by far the smaller, lighter, cheaper option, probably best suited to Irish OPVs, assuming of course that the new vessels have heli-decks.

The Naval Service seems to have burnt its fingers with the Eithne/Dauphin experience, and isn't that interested in ship-borne helicopters. (?) If the NS were to look for heli-decks and/or helicopters, would it set off a turf war with the Air Corps? But since the new vessels will be in operation for 30 years, it might not be wise to close off that option by omitting helidecks, especially with the development of shipborne UAVs.

Comment

• But since the new vessels will be in operation for 30 years, it might not be wise to close off that option by omitting helidecks, especially with the development of shipborne UAVs
            The new ships will have to be capable of UAV ops and probably underwater vehicle ops as well
            Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• Compare the waters the Pakistanis operate in with the North Atlantic..no contest...Panther is a no go as it is limited to the same sea states as the dauphin was....

Pitch and roll of ships being the contributory factor..and will the state really pay for helos to carry out FP duties that a computer system can now do.Even the SAR role has moved on.

I think the concept of being able to operate a helo is worthy of consideration but basing a dedicated helo abord ship especially under the control of an indepent body to the NS is a non runner.

Back to the three to one scenario..to have one operational helo you need to have three one in maintaince and one in reserve..plus the reserve aspects...the budgetary constraints would be far better spent on other naval items rather than a miniture gucci air wing...for the cost of three helos.spares, crews etc ..you could have an extra ship.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Would it not be wise to think about having a small (gucci) naval air wing with a MRV coming online (hopefully). The RNZN are going to operating the NH90 (2 or 3 i think) from their MRV and its difficult to find a MRV type vessel operating without helo support. Its my opinion that an MRV without a helo would have reduced capability. eg: MRV will have a hospital, sick bay whatever you what to call it so a helo for medivac would come in handy! Also in transporting equipment to shore. So to have a completely capable MRV a helo would be a must as i see it.

Comment

• I agree with the idea that the Irish Navy should follow the RNZN example. In that way they can maintain operational command of the aircraft without the cost of maintaining a whole maintaince facility. Ireland obviously does not have the funding to maintain a fully seperate fleet air arm, and its navy will only suffer with the lack of aircraft. It is hard to imagine a modern European navy without some form of air asset.

The Aer Corps can also benifit by offering career diversity for there staff. I have spoken to RNZAF maintence staff and they have all enjoyed there time at sea.

Comment

• Well ours didn't during the limited time spent at sea..and that is first hand information.I remeber the looks on the AC guys faces when they came aboard..something akin to being told you had two mothers in law....
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Is there any chance that the powers to be might try and retain some of older helicopters till this problem is addressed, or is there any talk of trying to get the new helicopters to carry out some landings on ships. Also have the Allouette ever been used on Irish ships

Comment

• Hi there
                        The Alouettes were never deck-landed by the Air Corps.Other countries have used them as shipboard equipment, including the Argentine navy, on the illfated Belgrano.I dont know why they didn't think to use them to complement the Dauphins.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          Hi there
                          The Alouettes were never deck-landed by the Air Corps.Other countries have used them as shipboard equipment, including the Argentine navy, on the illfated Belgrano.I dont know why they didn't think to use them to complement the Dauphins.
                          regards
                          GttC
                          I was going to suggest that it was because the Dauphin's were meant to replace the Allouettes. But was this really ever on the cards in the 80's/90's?

Comment

• hi

could the AB139/EC135's land on eithne? or be modified to do so? likelyhood of this happening?

Comment

• The AB139 is heavier than the 5 tonnes Eithnes deck is designed to take. The EC135 could land, theoretically on a stationary vessel..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• How heavy is the AB139 and is it likely we will see it operating from the MRV?

Comment

Working...
                                X