No announcement yet.

Naval air ops no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vice Admiral would need to get on the phone to the EU AND quick!!!!!

Helicopters no use for Fishery protection?

Thats strange because the EU has just funded 65% of 35 million Euros to Portugal for 2 EH-IOI helicopters!!!!

The new Spanish, Italian and Canadian OPVs will all be equipped for helicopter ops. :tri:
    Sarsfield

Comment

Does portugal have a fully staffed FMC monitoring VMS plots and correlating them with data from Casa patrols?
      I can only speak to the experience of the NS as related to me, Helo's were not considered useful for Fisheries and also, since when was EU money spent wisely?
      No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
      No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

because the EU has just funded 65% of 35 million Euros to Portugal for 2 EH-IOI helicopters!!!!
        Sorry Sarsfield, but do you have a reference for this?

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
          I think past experience would rule out the LUH being made available to the NS. I don't see the point in a return to flight ops from Eithne, the usefulness of having one heli on one vessel has to be questioned.

Perhaps it would be better if future vessels had a flight deck & the ability to refuel other helis.
          I was under the impression that the two new babies to the NS were capaple of doing a refueling based along the same lines that the DAUPHIN II used to (up ontill jan 2000 at least) hover above the deck and hoist up the fueling rig. Also just to throw the cat into the middle of this. any truth that a RN sea king (I know greater than 5 tonnes) flew UP from sea level and landed on board during a joint exercise..

we need a ASR, Twin jolly green giants Able to refuel each other. or some naval version of the black hawk..

Regards.

Comment

I've not seen information to say that the P50 class are hifr cpmpatible....Dosen't make any sense anyway given as OPVs the would rarely come into contact with helos. Also given the problems historically of carrying JET A1 at sea on small vessels.

Yes Eithne did one or two hifrs with both royal air force and Royal navy seakings as training missions in the event of a real requiremnat ever occurring . No a seaking never landed on the Eithne ...its too bloody big and dosen't have compatible lock down gear.. Next time your on the eithne just look how small the flight deck actually is...and now look at an S61... the only way to get a seaking onto a nvavl vessel is to crash in to it!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The solution lies in the new vessel postulated for the NS, a multi-purpose RO-RO/patrol ship with helicopter facilities such as the Danish ABSALON class recently examined by a NS team. And like the Danes, who will operate their new multi-purpose Merlins from the ABSALONs, helo's for the new NS ship should be multi-purpose maritime patrol/SAR/utility/assault. These could be two additional marinised AB-139's, but more appropriately, the IAC should follow-up the 139 purchase with at least four NH-90's for international deployments and in keeping with the multi-purpose vein, up to two of these could operate from the new NS multi-purpose ship, though only one would be required for the maritime patrol role. They would require an EO/FLIR system - which they would anyway to adequately support international deployments - and optionally a radar with a maritime mode. You may think this is all bit far-fetched, but do not be shocked if this is how modernization flows over the next five years. The new ship will be the next big ticket item, followed by an airlifter = C-130J-30??

Cheers

Comment

Just wondering,where did you hear that an Irish NS team examined the absalon class? Its quite important that you tell me this...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I read it a couple months ago, but honestly can't remember where. I read a lot of sources every day for my work. I also saw the visit referenced at least once by someone on the NS site here on IMO. Pretty useless I know, but you can always try the Danish MOD press office and the Danish Navy, they were quite helpful when I was researching for an article on the Danish military. Just scroll through their website.

Comment

Ahem....oookay.

try here

Comment

• I wonder are you a mate of sarsfields........
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I would love to see the section on the Danish MoD site where it says "Irish Naval Officers recently arrived,chequebook in hand,eager to take one of our massive assault ships for a test drive".

Comment

• Irish naval helicopters

Will Ireland replace their naval helicopters in the near future? New Zealand has introduced the kayman seasprite helicopter (5 in service) in the last few years. Is Ireland planning to do similar?

Comment

• Naval air ops Have not been carried out from the only Helideck equipped vessel,Eithne,since about 2001. Both aircraft capable of deck landings are grounded,awaiting disposal.
                            The Main difficulty (apart from unsuitable aircraft) was the fact that the Aircraft were operated by the Irish Air Corps. Before any plans are made to replace the grounded Dauphins, it must be clarified who will fly them,and how often. The Naval service seem pretty intent that if they are to continue operating Helis from their ships,then it will be done on their terms,with their pilots.

Comment

• naval air ops

Gidday from nz,read aout yournaval air ops the nz navy is pretty happy with its new helos.Have just heard they ordered new mu90 torpedoes for them as well as frigates.

Comment

• Was watching on Tv earlier,in an interview with President Musharraf of Pakistan,It showed the Pakistani Navy on Patrol,they seem to be quite happy to use Allouette 3 types from the Helidecks of their Type 21s. Was it ever considered,or tried here?
                                If nothing else it would keep the skills associated with Naval air ops alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X