No announcement yet.

New DPM Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is kinda right actually.Portwest made the initial DPM's in 1999 followed by Seyntex in 2000.The Seyntex ones were almost like the french CE pattern as they were very "pale" in their colouring as opposed to the Portwest ones which were much brighter.Seyntex now make all our DPM uniforms and have darkened their colours to what we have now.
    Here endeth the lesson.:wink:
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      It's the other way around - portwest were the old manufacturers, seyntex are the current lads.
      Originally posted by apod View Post
      He is kinda right actually.Portwest made the initial DPM's in 1999 followed by Seyntex in 2000.The Seyntex ones were almost like the french CE pattern as they were very "pale" in their colouring as opposed to the Portwest ones which were much brighter.Seyntex now make all our DPM uniforms and have darkened their colours to what we have now.
      Here endeth the lesson.:wink:
      Cheers lads. Seyntex made the original horror originally known as the
      "fat bastard" shirt...

Originally posted by Irish Army_01
      That might be one of the Issue ones as I know a CQ
      who has one with the Rank sliders on the shoulders and He informs me that
      the the Rank will be on the Chest.

He let me borrow it for Duty and Its a good jacket. very similar to a North Face Shell.
      but the shoulder mounted rank epaulette were to small for the sliders.
      The Chest ones make better sense IMO.
      Yep, the one I saw yesterday seems to be a darker base colour than the trial ones
      I've previously seen. More in line with the DPM scheme on the remainder of the
      DPM items, whereas the trial ones seem to be more like the old Seyntex DPM pattern
      I mentioned previously
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Quick question ; Is it a fleece with a windpoof dpm outer shell(like the lining in the smock)? Or is it a dpm fleece?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

heard last week the order has been cancled.

Comment

Heard the armys been cancelled, budget cuts.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Next christmas has also been cancelled..

Seriously, when you see the 4x4 Tender being awarded, it inspires confidence that at least the equipment deals will go ahead. There was another PIN on etenders today about cloth badges for the defence forces, amongst other items.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

heard last week the order has been cancled
                not due to budget cuts rumour has it for something more suitable, whatever more suitable implies i do not know. provision has been made for a replacement ither way,

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                  There is no need to have a norgie and a fleece.
                  People in the Arctic with NBG or Kosovo in winter may have other ideas

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                  Actually the shirt is part of your tactical uniform.

According to A9 the smock was only to be worn in inclement weather.
                  Shirt was/is worn in Chad, East Timor & Liberia.

Knew I'd find it eventually (http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Basics) not sure how up to date it is but British issue layering system is/was:

T-shirt, Norge, Shirt, Fleece, Smock, Wetsuit

Comment

Speaking of Irish DPM

Does anyone remember this trialled on from 1996 as featured in Barsseys book of Camouflage
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Yes. They trialled it on the old slash pocket combats.. early 90s.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• interesting never knew about it ,, looks like some type of ww2 pattern
                        "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• Its as Goldie says the old type Jacket in a trial DPM...1988 would be the year.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• i remember we had the smock design jacket and trousers on trail a little before that, looked like current smock ( or arktis one ARW wore at the time ) but was made in the old slash pocket combat jacket material. Even had the inner liner and the bum pad. but weighed a ton in the old material!!!!
                            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• i remember we had the smock design jacket and trousers on trail a little before that, looked like current smock ( or arktis one ARW wore at the time ) but was made in the old slash pocket combat jacket material. Even had the inner liner and the bum pad. but weighed a ton in the old material!!!!
                              an that was when it was dry. While the old style combats were warm, when they got wet they were very heavy.

the style of the jacket would lend its elf better to AFV and APC crews it that its more compact and there should have been a version for these roles as the current smock is not vehicle crew user friendly and I would alos have issue about how fire retardant it is.

Old style jacket with modern features in Nomex for AFV and APC crews..any one got a few quid to develop one.

We have been developing kit for infantry and dismountable elements , detachments .webbing, assualt vest but very little though has been given to the guys who dliver these better equipped troops to the drop off point..
                              worthy of note in my opinion.

Comment

• why not a simple tanker suit like aircrew flight suits...obviously adapted as required for mounted ops and in dpm?

plenty of off the shelf stuff out there i'm sure.
                                Last edited by X-RayOne; 18 February 2009, 16:51.
                                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                                X