New DPM Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    By the end of my time I had six shirts plus trousers,jumpers still in the bag,Fleece never worn, and socks that couldn't be worn. Khaki shirts falling out of the wardrobe....two issue green tee shirts and about 10 I bought...just in case....not even going down the boots list....and guess what even though I exited in 2009..I still have it all......Why?????

I hear ya HPT, I hear ya...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 8 February 2012, 17:33.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Yep Apod , still didnt answer how many wardrobes do u need for all the Kit..HPt just mentioned he was overloaded with kit... special jacket for the barracks, special jacket for the field, Big tricolours just in case u wont be seen in your special blue helmet and flak ja, sorry body armour thingy, Name tags in case u forget your name? How many types of boots and how many pairs of footwear is an Infantryman suppose to have these days. and dont forget the knee pads, goggles , tactical gloves, armoured jock strap etc and whatever the Manikinis thing is ,,,,,Now they have so much kit the qm is getting rid of green Tshirts or Dri Flos whatever they are, Its gone overboard ,, from a day when u had to almost fight for kit and gear.. but somehow managed to acquire sufficient , two ( three) pairs of combats, 2 + 1 pair of boots, shity sweaters , used to use my own round neck when on duty under jacket , green t shirts we bought in Dunnes, acquired a new flak jacket from the depot in the brugha and switched it with my own issue one that was old and had a shitty looking cover, track suit as long johns and 1958 webbing what more do u need, best rifle ever issued, and dont forget the Poncho a great pice of kit and not bad looking either if worn properly ... what more do u need but then again as a border bunny we did a lot of duties in those days so need for barrack jackets as we were seldom in barracks and still managed to win all army shooting competitions, an cosanteoir runs etc ..

Comment

• yeah... on the exercise and assessments with RDF last year I noticed a lot of gucci soldiers buckling under the pressure of carrying bergans a couple of miles... i had a laugh at that one they finally made us hump our gear to the patrol harbor areas, boy was i a happy bunny as in my unit at least we've been doing PT once a week and most of us have invested money and or personal time and joined gyms or have weights at home and go running in the hills etc and have been training so that when (on the few occassions that we get to) carrying bergans and weapons you arent just thinking "F**K me this is heavy, I cant wait to drop it" but are instead concentrating on the drills etc. Give us decent kit that we need to carry out the job of a soldier instead of the kit that makes us just look like soldiers.
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          Just out of curiosity,a s you are in the PDF, do you have more than one smock ?
          Just by way of illustration of the above points - I can already guess the likely answer
          I have 2, will become 3 when I'm eventually told I have to start wearing the new issue smock.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          Give us decent kit that we need to carry out the job of a soldier instead of the kit that makes us just look like soldiers.
          Troops carrying too much kit has nothing to do with the scale of issue available to them and everything to do with their own personal choices when it comes to packing kit.

All this "Well back in my day, we did it all in a pair of ball strangers, armed with an FN and one magazine" is a load of cock.

Times change, technologies and battlefields evolve. Go to a Recce det. and have a look in their packs. OP Kit, Sophie, Lucie, Mono, Kite, Midi Kite, frontline ammo, 2 radio's plus batteries, PRR's, Toughbook, camera, CBA etc. it's all kit that's needed for the detachment to function properly and do their job. All that is before anyone tries packing their personal kit.

All the above is kit that is needed to carry out the job and issued by the DF. Even with the above, there's more kit we're missing out on.
          Last edited by Hello Alaska; 9 February 2012, 15:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
            Yep Apod , still didnt answer how many wardrobes do u need for all the Kit..HPt just mentioned he was overloaded with kit... special jacket for the barracks, special jacket for the field, Big tricolours just in case u wont be seen in your special blue helmet and flak ja, sorry body armour thingy, Name tags in case u forget your name? How many types of boots and how many pairs of footwear is an Infantryman suppose to have these days. and dont forget the knee pads, goggles , tactical gloves, armoured jock strap etc and whatever the Manikinis thing is ,,,,,Now they have so much kit the qm is getting rid of green Tshirts or Dri Flos whatever they are, Its gone overboard ,, from a day when u had to almost fight for kit and gear.. but somehow managed to acquire sufficient , two ( three) pairs of combats, 2 + 1 pair of boots, shity sweaters , used to use my own round neck when on duty under jacket , green t shirts we bought in Dunnes, acquired a new flak jacket from the depot in the brugha and switched it with my own issue one that was old and had a shitty looking cover, track suit as long johns and 1958 webbing what more do u need, best rifle ever issued, and dont forget the Poncho a great pice of kit and not bad looking either if worn properly ... what more do u need but then again as a border bunny we did a lot of duties in those days so need for barrack jackets as we were seldom in barracks and still managed to win all army shooting competitions, an cosanteoir runs etc ..
            Not going to respond to this crap Bandit.You are just blatantly trolling.Trying to get a bite.Not giving you one.Had to laugh at the Mankinis thing though. Showing your age when you don't know when someone is pulling the piss out of you.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Yep Apod , still didnt answer how many wardrobes do u need for all the Kit..HPt just mentioned he was overloaded with kit... special jacket for the barracks, special jacket for the field, Big tricolours just in case u wont be seen in your special blue helmet and flak ja, sorry body armour thingy, Name tags in case u forget your name? How many types of boots and how many pairs of footwear is an Infantryman suppose to have these days. and dont forget the knee pads, goggles , tactical gloves, armoured jock strap etc and whatever the Manikinis thing is ,,,,,Now they have so much kit the qm is getting rid of green Tshirts or Dri Flos whatever they are, Its gone overboard ,, from a day when u had to almost fight for kit and gear.. but somehow managed to acquire sufficient , two ( three) pairs of combats, 2 + 1 pair of boots, shity sweaters , used to use my own round neck when on duty under jacket , green t shirts we bought in Dunnes, acquired a new flak jacket from the depot in the brugha and switched it with my own issue one that was old and had a shitty looking cover, track suit as long johns and 1958 webbing what more do u need, best rifle ever issued, and dont forget the Poncho a great pice of kit and not bad looking either if worn properly ... what more do u need but then again as a border bunny we did a lot of duties in those days so need for barrack jackets as we were seldom in barracks and still managed to win all army shooting competitions, an cosanteoir runs etc ..
              Originally posted by apod View Post
              Not going to respond to this crap Bandit.You are just blatantly trolling.Trying to get a bite.Not giving you one.Had to laugh at the Mankinis thing though. Showing your age when you don't know when someone is pulling the piss out of you.
              Especiallly for you, Bandit.... >>THIS << is a mankini.....
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• hey apod thansk for the ingo on Manikini, if that was the only tghing showing my age I would be happy..
                Now back to subject
                No the scale of equipment is what an army has to lug around, just look at the implications of this in Afghanistan and the fact that 25% of the us logs budget is going to pay protection for the transport of all the bits and bobs across Pakistan and fuel Taliban coffers,. No its not about in my day etc etc an fn and a mag,
                My career after the DF took many forms some of which involved soldiering in another uniform and in various security and paramilitary roles over 20 yrs. My Philospohy was always to minimize kit, take what was necessary and travel as light as possible. I was fortunate /Unfortunate who knows ? to be part of what was recognised as one of the best coin forces in the world. Kit was an FN and as many mags , a few grenades , med kit water and very simple webbing, rations and a tiny gaz stove ....no goggles, no gloves, or f--- knee pads etc, In another job (paramilitary) I would lead a team of 4 to 10 black guys on anti poachng patrols , 3 to 14 days , all kit contained in a 20 dollar back pack , (mine was bought in Feredays Harare,) I also had a type of fishing jacket // that I had bought in Alpha bargains , I used to carry ammo , small med kit and 2 water bottle in that , Patrols often covered over 200km and on average at least one conatct each patrol, o and a floppie on your head, ( a boonie hat) and before Horgan says anything not that type of floppie.. we has joy we had fun.etc.. but today it seems like the nanny state has taken over, assault courses designed to be romper rooom safe, u u cannot polok out a recruit , PD Health and safety ,, war is not a very safe endevour.. ......

Comment

• But, with respect bandit, your combat environment was always the same. The Irish DF can be in desert one year, monsoon another, and continental winter the next. It needs to have the correct equipment for each. So the option is, like the US, have a different uniform for each zone you operate, or have a kit that can be adapted for each.

Incidently, the Elmer Fudds get a great look in at photos of the recent 120 Mortar shoot in the glen.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Been trying to pick an elmer fudd but it seems they cant be got for love nor money!
                    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
                      Been trying to pick an elmer fudd but it seems they cant be got for love nor money!
                      Scarce as Hens teeth!!
                      CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Tell me about it, Thought they were supposed to go on general issue but it never happened! Handy bits of kit!
                        Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

• The new ones look gank.The velcro adjuster on the back is gone and the fastener on the front peak has been replaced by the DF badge Printed on.In gold print.Yuck.
                          Original Lowe Alpine ones are the shizzle.One of the best bits of kit EVER issued.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Velcro adjuster? sound like Louis Copeland or Elton John I rest my case , How the F... can u be a soldier without yor VAa

Comment

war is not a very safe endevour...
                              I thought this was about some jacket...

You're right Bandit, war is not safe; but times have changed, and while there is some questionable kit being used by modern Armies, protective eqpt has become a necessity.

I explained to our Afghan Brothers, while mentoring them, that we have responsibilities as warriors. We have a responsibility to ourselves to stay healthy, and to our families to stay alive. We also have a responsibility to our Brothers in Arms, alongside whom we fight, to stay in the fight. We do this in part by wearing eqpt that will protect us from the enemy's attempts to harm us.

One of our interpreters (an Afghan) thought it was uncool to wear the kit; while patrolling in Nakhonay village one day, he took the brunt of the blast of an IED that was aimed at the (Cdn) Coy Cmder. He nearly lost a leg, and came within a few inches of being killed. When he came back months later, he never questioned the importance of protective eqpt and wore it.

I always insisted that the ANA Soldiers we operated with wear their kit; one day, a Ford Ranger was hit by a DFC IED. One of the Soldiers had a piece of shrapnel lodged in his helmet, that was sticking out inside the helmet. This bit of shrapnel would have killed him instantly had he been wearing a boonie.

"On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Agree regarding protective kit when the risk assessment indicates that it should be used . And in Afghanistan I would wear such kit where necessary . In recent years I have worn body armour, helmet in the ,africa , middle east, pakistan, etc so I am not against wearing it when it calls for it..
                                Except when I am home for the “summer” in Ireland I almost always wear sunglasses so I use a pair of Wileys ballistic sun glasses , (I have a thing about eyes,) Its just that the risk criteria seems to have been lowered too much ,, and there still is just too much unnecessary kit around, in a situation like Afghanistan it creates a huge logistic tail and ties up huge no.s of troop supporting a very thin line.
                                so thats why I rant about Barrack jackets and Velcro adjusters , etc , I am the type of guy who shortens the tooth brush handle or uses a stick to clean my teeth so as to reduce the load . I used to use a Remington 1100 shotgun in one job , cut the butt off and fiited a" folding sidewinder type "butt, Same with my current civvy shotgun ,
                                Now I understand armies cannot do this but tghey should be as lean as possible and concentrtae on essentials, good basic weapons, fit nad hard troops and I dont mean normal civvy fit, I say this as a very fit 50+ yr old fart.
                                Rant over

Comment

Working...
                                X