X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scud missile View Post
    New shirt is sorter with straight pockets
    That could be interesting
    I' ve seen personnel who, because of the size shirt they were fitted for, would have
    shirt hems which would just about cover the belt buckle of the trousers
    A shorter shirt could make this different

New Trousers have Zipped side pockets and elasticated draw cords
    Wouldn't be sure about zips on trousers pockets, also I would guess that personnel will
    still get the trouser legs tailored and eleasticated to suit their leg length as before, so
    I would say the elasticated draw cords are a waste

I would also say that while they were redesigning the DPM kit items, the Procurement
    folks could have sourced decent web belts to wear with the DPM kit, the old green
    cloth belts are not suitable for this purpose, IMO

Overseas flash on everything from new DPM t shirt up.(which will have velcro on the chest for rank marking)
    Could have thought seriously about a subdued flash, I reckon, full size Tricolours on
    all the kit is a waste, I think

Same for the Norwegian
    As Apod said, it's an undergarment, so again, a waste

I am actually wondering if those in the loop actually solicited feedback
    from the "boots on the ground", as they did when they selected the
    Steyr AUG in the 80s as the Defence Forces new rifle - something that
    pretty much everyone agrees was done well
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• That could be interesting
      I' ve seen personnel who, because of the size shirt they were fitted for, would have
      shirt hems which would just about cover the belt buckle of the trousers
      A shorter shirt could make this different
      Probably designed to tuck inside the trousers easier as we seem to be edging slowly back to that.So long as they get the sleeve lenghts right on this batch i'll be happy.Last ones were a Clusterfcuk!

Wouldn't be sure about zips on trousers pockets, also I would guess that personnel will
      still get the trouser legs tailored and eleasticated to suit their leg length as before, so
      I would say the elasticated draw cords are a waste
      Me neither.I believe they are supposed to be underneath the pocket flap.Thus retaining a button closure which is handy.If a zip goes on the ground you cant replace it.Buttons can.

I would also say that while they were redesigning the DPM kit items, the Procurement
      folks could have sourced decent web belts to wear with the DPM kit, the old green
      cloth belts are not suitable for this purpose, IMO
      When did you last get issued a stable belt?Agreed,the older cloth type model is shite.It "ropes" over time and was two wide for the loops on the pants.Newer model is narrower and made of a stronger webbing strap sort of material but in the same design..Have one over a year now and its way better.

Could have thought seriously about a subdued flash, I reckon, full size Tricolours on
      all the kit is a waste, I think
      You only need three tri-colours.Smock,shirt and waterproof jacket.The rest is overkill.
      A subdued tri-col;ur is a waste of time 'cos when it is subdued you cant differentiate between the colours(dark,light, dark).Subdued Union jacks and Stars and stripes work because no matter what colour the flags are you still know the design.No the smaller tri-colour should have been kept for home use for exercises or better again just have the large ones on velcro.Going on parade or overseas leave it on.Going on exercise or putting item in laundry whip it off.

I am actually wondering if those in the loop actually solicited feedback
      from the "boots on the ground", as they did when they selected the
      Steyr AUG in the 80s as the Defence Forces new rifle - something that
      pretty much everyone agrees was done well
      Well i can tell you.No one is my unit has been asked anytime recently about our clothing or any issues with it.We trialled the OG version of the smock circa 97 and the trial version of the waterproof suit circa 2002.That been it.I think some unit got to trial the fleece alright.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Smock has hidden zips in top belows pockets with redesigned hood and elasticated draw cords
        I wonder is this the new hood design?Pictures are courtesy of the Cooneen watts and stone website.They are the suppliers of the updated field dress uniform to us and also to the BA.
        If that the new hood design,i hope they included the tie down as pictured!It wasnt on the tender though.
        Attached Files
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I see that there are Under Armor Shirts on test also (even though they've been in use since 07)??

Comment

• Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
            I see that there are Under Armor Shirts on test also (even though they've been in use since 07)??
            Are they made by Lowe alpine or another Company?

Comment

• Under Armor are a seperate company
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                Under Armor are a seperate company
                as in worn under armor, not made by the company.

Have no idea who makes them craghopper.

Comment

• The hood looks like a DPM monk!

Also quick q, Ive asked my cadre nco about getting an issue of kit. He said there is no more re-issues due to the PDF recruit platoons getting stuff first. Can anybody verify this as others and I have been waiting 6 months now for a re issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
                    He said there is no more re-issues due to the PDF recruit platoons getting stuff first. Can anybody verify this as others and I have been waiting 6 months now for a re issue?
                    Yes the recruits are getting priority with kit.
                    Theres even a shortage for them with certain items.
                    Im waiting over a year for new kit and im PDF so I think you will be waiting a lot longer.

Comment

Roger that, Thanks.

Comment

• Depends where you are. Some of my lads got new gear last week. We were told no issue to RDF until end of April

Comment

I see that there are Under Armor Shirts on test also (even though they've been in use since 07)??
                          I heard something about that the other day.Would be a good addition to the issue scale.Better than a DPM driflo with driflo material sleeves anyway.More durable.

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                          Are they made by Lowe alpine or another Company?
                          Probably Cooneen Watts and stone as they make the UBACS for the BA and they are our new kit suppliers.Lowe alpine dont supply our driflos anymore.

On the difficulties getting kit.UNIFIL,new PDF recruits and the delivery of the new style kit has led to some delays in kit issues.Should be sorted soon.

Comment

Yeah, according to the clothing stores up my way they're the new DPM driflo's people were talking about us getting.

Bout time they came on issue, rather than lads having to make their own ones.

Comment

• This is gonna be a good one to see play out as the tender was for a DPM version of the long sleeve driflo already in service.I haven't come across an updated tender for a UBACS style top anywhere.Perhaps the new supplier went back to the Clothing procurement lads and offered something better instead.Maybe.
                              Guess we will have to wait and see.
                              Heres a recent pic of the new minister visiting the DFTC and meeting one of the nations finest.The Lowe alpine UBACS issued to those lads for Chad is clearly visible.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                                Heres a recent pic of the new minister visiting the DFTC and meeting one of the nations finest.The Lowe alpine UBACS issued to those lads for Chad is clearly visible.
                                He seems to have spilt some Tippex on his rifle there, but yep, the Lowe Alpine logo
                                is visible alright

Are the sleeves of that top conventional cloth, or is it some kind of wicking material
                                for hot climates ?
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X