Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: New DPM Jacket

Post Thanks / Like
    In the time it would take to do all that it would probably be faster just to take it off the normal way.

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Have you done it yourself? Most likely not, True that it will take longer to get through, but when your adrenaline is pumping and rounds are flying over your head, noting is going to stop you getting through what is essential just fabric, very tightly woven fabric nonetheless.
    I've never cut throught anything thicker than jeans but that dosen't make a difference, its just another example of no joined up thinking in the DF.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    We don't have the best but what we have is still very good, Just be glad we don't have the disaster of cba the french have.....
    But they've [probably] had there's in service for a good while and their bods in ISAF dont use them.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceghetti View Post
    Is this the same type of helmet you're talking about?
    http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4971/ino03.jpg

They look like a different type to me.

Because they have a lip. The one with the minister doesn't.

He could have just put one of those helmet covers on one of the newer issue helmets?

The helmet cover from your pic of the easter parade fits perfectly because there is a lip. The cover on the one with the minister doesn't fit because there is no lip.

The one in the easter parade looks more like the PASGT style helmet like the guy above him is wearing and the guy in the pic i posted (are they the RBH303 Classic?), while the one in the pic with the minister looks more like the RBH303IE style one.

[I found that picture HERE on some polish forum where some lads were talking about it.]
    You know i didnt spot that lip.(not often i am wrong about issue kit!)The "mowag" helmets were made made by a different company to the rabintex ones on issue now.I have a brochure somewhere and i will get you the exact name.
    Indeed it looks like the ranger in the pic just took his old helmet cover and put it on one of the new RBH303IE's.It hard to tell because you cant make out the chin strap in ther pic with the Minister.But its highly likely it is one of those as the lads tend to wear them more now than the mowag helmets(better fitting covers,lighter,no lip,same type liner).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Cutting through multiple layers of kevlar in one go with a scissors? No chance. You'd be better off finding the point where the kevlar sheets overlap and cutting through there, avoiding the kevlar parts and just cutting the cover (though I'm not sure this would work with some types of body armour)
    I dont know if that would work with our current CBA as the soft armour overlaps at the shoulders,but if a trained Paramedic tells me it can be done who am i to argue?

In the time it would take to do all that it would probably be faster just to take it off the normal way.
    A trained medic will rarely do that.They love cutting things

I agree with S&S.We dont get issued proper IFAKs.We make our own.If you were to ask an ordinary soldier here what goes into an individual trauma kit or what a nine liner is they wouldnt have a clue.And dont even get me started on our total lack of training on using Morphine!They made a big deal of including CAT's and Israeli FFD's in the soldiers kit on the Late Late show a few years back.THEY ARENT ISSUED OUT! Medics have them.
    Last edited by apod; 3rd May 2011 at 10:02.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post

I agree with S&S.We dont get issued proper IFAKs.We make our own.If you were to ask an ordinary soldier here what goes into an individual trauma kit or what a nine liner is they wouldnt have a clue.And dont even get me started on our total lack of training on using Morphine!They made a big deal of including CAT's and Israeli FFD's in the soldiers kit on the Late Late show a few years back.THEY ARENT ISSUED OUT! Medics have them.
    I love the magical backpacks the medics carry that seem to fit everything for everyone...the Morphine thing I believe is outside the hands of the DF due to law. Tbh if i was going overseas I'd buy my own CAT and israeli FFD to wear on me. Its so retarded I am amazed....yet again. But its just a case that PDFORRA need to get their head out of their ass..all it takes is a few press leaks by a retired bod.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    I love the magical backpacks the medics carry that seem to fit everything for everyone...the Morphine thing I believe is outside the hands of the DF due to law. Tbh if i was going overseas I'd buy my own CAT and israeli FFD to wear on me. Its so retarded I am amazed....yet again. But its just a case that PDFORRA need to get their head out of their ass..all it takes is a few press leaks by a retired bod.
    Having a CAT and a proper trauma kit only works if everybody has the same kit and carries it in the same place.I have both of those items to use on myself as self aid if the situation warranted it.But if i am unresponsive i wouldnt be able to tell a buddy where they are and they wouldnt look.My normal FFD is the only thing they would see in my smock pocket.

The legal aspect of "breaking the skin" should be changed or allowance be made for when on active service.The ability to give morphine is a no brainer IMHO once you are properly trained.I teach lads how to use atropine autoinjectors on the CBRN course.Modern Morpine syrettes work the same i believe(Can you cofirm RGJ?).At end of the day its soldiers lives we are talking about.You may not always have a medic with you.And if you do,what happens if HE/SHE is the casualty???Food for thought.

Anyway we are going WAAAAAAAy off topic.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I teach lads how to use atropine autoinjectors on the CBRN course.Modern Morpine syrettes work the same i believe(Can you cofirm RGJ?).
    correct APOD - the Morphine syrettes work in the exact same manner as the CBRN type auto-injectors. we carried 2 each when we were in Iraq, i would imagine its the same in Afghan - Knocker or Keef will know, but yes they are the same type apod.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Mate.I thought they were,but i didn't want to say for sure without confirmation.

Post Thanks / Like
    no probs apod.

just a quick question on the DPM jacket - i think it was posted above that the current jacket does not have a hood retainer (button and string) - if this is the case how do you tame your hood and what is planned for the new jacket?

i think we have opted for a larger strip - much like an epaulette on velcro as a retainer on our new jackets.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if that would work with our current CBA as the soft armour overlaps at the shoulders,but if a trained Paramedic tells me it can be done who am i to argue?
    Personally, I would've been asking them if they've ever actually done it and if they did, how long did it take? Cause knowing the DF, I can't imagine many medics got to cut up the CBA with a Tuffcut so it's most likely just theory.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    just a quick question on the DPM jacket - i think it was posted above that the current jacket does not have a hood retainer (button and string) - if this is the case how do you tame your hood and what is planned for the new jacket?
    What I do and most lads I know do, is roll the hood in on itself which usually solves the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point H.A. But i wasn't about to embarrass an instructor in front of their class.

RGJ-Most of the DF just wear the hood down.Personally i dont like that but in Bks i play the game.IMHO when worn down it gets caught under your CEFO,fills up with half the pine needles in the forest when moving through foliage and catches the wind in bad weather.Thats why i have fitted a button off an old shirt and a strip of cord of the kind used to pull in the storm baffle on the PLCE backpack to my field smock so i can roll the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for clarifying that apod i was just wondering.

the majority of our lads, me included, wear it rolled tightly into itself (and secured with the fitted retainer) however some lads like to go al fresco and end up looking like Gandalf on parade.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for clarifying that apod i was just wondering.

the majority of our lads, me included, wear it rolled tightly into itself (and secured with the fitted retainer) however some lads like to go al fresco and end up looking like Gandalf on parade.
    A lot of our lads wear it the same way as yourself and your lads, minus having an actual retainer obviously.

Except for in the barracks where the BSM would tear us a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new ba dpm jackets are good. A lot lighter than our smocks but just as warm with the tie down on the hood a good way of making a nice snug collar. Like the added outside chest zip pockets
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZULU View Post
    The new ba dpm jackets are good. A lot lighter than our smocks but just as warm with the tie down on the hood a good way of making a nice snug collar. Like the added outside chest zip pockets
    Are they like alpine pockets? Those look handy if you're wearing a plate carrier.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I was commenting on the Brit dpm jacket. But now that you brought the picture up, imagine that jacket in Irish dpm and you get a very close approximation of the new jacket going around
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    imagine that jacket in Irish dpm and you get a very close approximation of the new jacket going around
    very nice indeed.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't there a video on youtube of an interview with the former PR Officer (I think it was Pat O'Conner?) where he was wearing that jacket?

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't there a video on youtube of an interview with the former PR Officer (I think it was Pat O'Conner?) where he was wearing that jacket?
    He was wearing a trial version.

The new DPM jacket is pretty much exactly like the photo above, without the zips on the left and right of the main zip.

I tried one on last week, really snug fit. A good bit of kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    still a nice bit of kit, but wouldn't a softee be better than a fleece, or is this in addition to a softee?
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    still a nice bit of kit, but wouldn't a softee be better than a fleece, or is this in addition to a softee?
    Only Mowag crews on winter trips in cold locations overseas(KFOR) and the ARW get issued softees here.At the moment we get issued an OG fleece liner much the same as your own but with a full length collar and no pockets.Half the DF have purchased their own softees or buffalos though.

Post Thanks / Like
    fair one.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    'Twas his predecessor (also a Cav officer)
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was commenting on the Brit dpm jacket. But now that you brought the picture up, imagine that jacket in Irish dpm and you get a very close approximation of the new jacket going around
    Nice, does it have a hood as well? Something like this....

Post Thanks / Like
    No.Its a soft shell fleece.The issue smock has a hood.The specs for the new fleece are here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, sorry, I thought Zulu was referring to the new smocks.

Thread Information