• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgt View Post
    ........if you manage ot score some photos PM me, dude
    No bother :wink:

Comment

We were told no cameras or we'd be RTU'd and they meant it. Know one lad was caught with one on the set and he was RTU's straight away . Therefore, I've no photos

Comment

RTu'd

pity that rule was not enforced in 1944

click, click, flash flash

who was that talking pictures

it was me

I am out of here. see you around
        merry england here I come
        hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
          We were told no cameras or we'd be RTU'd and they meant it. Know one lad was caught with one on the set and he was RTU's straight away . Therefore, I've no photos
          I have a few, But none on the beach Couple of them were published in the local paper at the time, There are always ways around rules. As stated, Breavheart was a different matter.
          it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
          Winston churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            Har Har. Just like CRDT then..........
            No, The CRDT just pick suspicious looking guys like you
            it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
            Winston churchill

Comment

Originally posted by beenthere View Post
              No, The CRDT just pick suspicious looking guys like you
              Pot, Kettle.....
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I was in G Platoon, I remember the way the used to get us to die was to call out the month of your birthday, so all January's would die, then all march, then maybe December.

I do remember the guy breaking his leg when he was asleep on the beach as a truck reversed over his legs because they tought he was one of the life like dummies.

Oh and remember the scene going up the beach when someone in the background shouted out "Run Forest Run!!", and Tom Hanks just fell over laughing.

That was a good summer!!!
                Last edited by Cosantor; 18 August 2008, 13:42.
                "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosantor View Post
                  I was in G Platoon, I remember the way the used to get us to die was to call out the month of your birthday, so all January's would die, then all march, then maybe December.

I do remember the guy breaking his leg when he was asleep on the beach as a truck reversed over his legs because they tought he was one of the life like dummies.

Oh and remember the scene going up the beach when someone in the background shouted out "Run Forest Run!!", and Tom Hanks just fell over laughing.

That was a good summer!!!
                  Ya, good crack, nice stories lad

Comment

Oh and remember the scene going up the beach when someone in the background shouted out "Run Forest Run!!", and Tom Hanks just fell over laughing

Thats an absolute classic...wonder will Hanks remember it in his memoites..I would have loved to have seen that!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

'You & whose Army Private Ryan?' Behind the Scenes Part 1

Published on 6 Jun 2015
                      A behind the scenes look at the making of Saving Private Ryan involving members of the Permanent Defence Forces, An Forsa Cosanta Áitúil (F.C.A now Army Reserve) and An Slúa Múirí (now Naval Service Reserve) featuring interviews with some of the military training and logistical advisors.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

"Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

'You & whose Army Private Ryan?' Behind the Scenes Part 2

Published on 6 Jun 2015
                        A behind the scenes look at the making of Saving Private Ryan involving members of the Permanent Defence Forces, An Forsa Cosanta Áitúil (F.C.A now Army Reserve) and An Slúa Múirí (now Naval Service Reserve) featuring interviews with some of the military training and logistical advisors.

Last edited by Vickers; 8 June 2015, 13:39.
                        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

No, but there was a similar story of a member of 506th PIR, 101st Airborne in Normandy, Fritz Niland who was shipped home after his brothers had been killed, or were missing, in other theaters of the war. In the end one of the missing brothers was found, and they went on to live long happy lives.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The concept is said to be based on the Suliivan brothers who perished on a US Navy ship. A film 'The Sullivan Brothers' was produced and a destroyer was named after them.
                            The policy of relatives serving together was changed following the death of the Sulivan brothers. Incidentally the father of the Sullivans came from Adrigole on the Beara Peninsula.

Comment

If you read a book called 'Three Cheers for the Derrys' (about the 10th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in WW1) it tells the story of five brothers called Sinclair.

Four of them were killed in the war.

I believe theres a fair few incidences like that.
                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

That is the first time I ever saw anyone wearing ribbons with the working dress shirt

Comment

Working...
                                X