Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    .303 MMG Vickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    'You & whose Army Private Ryan?' Behind the Scenes Part 2



    Published on 6 Jun 2015
    A behind the scenes look at the making of Saving Private Ryan involving members of the Permanent Defence Forces, An Forsa Cosanta Áitúil (F.C.A now Army Reserve) and An Slúa Múirí (now Naval Service Reserve) featuring interviews with some of the military training and logistical advisors.

    https://youtu.be/d-TsJ5iJyCw

    http://www.thejournal.ie/saving-priv...45132-Jun2015/
    Last edited by Vickers; 8th June 2015 at 12:39.
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

  2. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
  3. #27
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, but there was a similar story of a member of 506th PIR, 101st Airborne in Normandy, Fritz Niland who was shipped home after his brothers had been killed, or were missing, in other theaters of the war. In the end one of the missing brothers was found, and they went on to live long happy lives.

  4. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  5. #28
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mayo
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    The concept is said to be based on the Suliivan brothers who perished on a US Navy ship. A film 'The Sullivan Brothers' was produced and a destroyer was named after them.
    The policy of relatives serving together was changed following the death of the Sulivan brothers. Incidentally the father of the Sullivans came from Adrigole on the Beara Peninsula.

  6. Likes Truck Driver, DeV liked this post
  7. #29
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read a book called 'Three Cheers for the Derrys' (about the 10th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in WW1) it tells the story of five brothers called Sinclair.

    Four of them were killed in the war.

    I believe theres a fair few incidences like that.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

  8. Thanks Orion thanked for this post
  9. #30
    Commander in Chief Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is the first time I ever saw anyone wearing ribbons with the working dress shirt

  10. #31
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    No, but there was a similar story of a member of 506th PIR, 101st Airborne in Normandy, Fritz Niland who was shipped home after his brothers had been killed, or were missing, in other theaters of the war. In the end one of the missing brothers was found, and they went on to live long happy lives.
    I've just been re-reading Band of Brothers (it seemed appropriate, given the date) and it mentioned this. One was killed after jumping with the 82nd Airborne in Normandy, one was killed on Utah Beach, and one was killed flying a plane in China. Their mother got all three telegrams on the same day. Poor Fritz found out when he went to visit each brother in turn a few days after D Day, and was on his way back to Easy Co when the chaplain met him to tell him about the other brother (and get him to pack up and get out of the combat zone ASAP).

    I didn't realise one was still alive after all.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  11. #32
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    That is the first time I ever saw anyone wearing ribbons with the working dress shirt
    Certainly have seen them worn with the old green overseas shirts
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  12. #33
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    974
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I've just been re-reading Band of Brothers (it seemed appropriate, given the date) and it mentioned this. One was killed after jumping with the 82nd Airborne in Normandy, one was killed on Utah Beach, and one was killed flying a plane in China. Their mother got all three telegrams on the same day. Poor Fritz found out when he went to visit each brother in turn a few days after D Day, and was on his way back to Easy Co when the chaplain met him to tell him about the other brother (and get him to pack up and get out of the combat zone ASAP).

    I didn't realise one was still alive after all.
    It remember seeing this on Discovery last year. The Fourth Brother was shotdown in the far east and was persumed dead, It was only after the war that they found out he was taken as a POW and was still alive.


    http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/the-t...-private-ryan/
    Last edited by CTU; 8th June 2015 at 23:39.
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  13. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •