Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0911/asgard.html

Everyone is safe, pitty to see it sink.

Threads merged
    Last edited by johnny no stars; 11th September 2008 at 10:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Irish yacht sinking near France

An Irish government-owned training yacht is sinking in the Bay of Biscay, off the coast of France.

All 25 crew and trainees on the Asgard II were rescued by the French coastguard after managing to get onto life rafts.

They were taken to the nearby island of Belle Isle where they are recovering from their ordeal.

A distress signal was sent at about 0500 BST, but it is not yet known why the vessel got into difficulties.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/7609740.stm

Very sad news. She has given countless people who otherwise wouldn't get the chance, the experience of Tall Ship sailing, and more importantly, what teamwork really means. Hopefully she can(and will) be salvaged.

I Got my wish of sailing on her in 1989, and experienced an Irish Sea crossing in a force 8, and enjoyed every minute of it. Later on, I became a member of the Asgard Support group, and was happy, like many others to give up my winter weekends sanding and varnishing, and polishing brass.
    Sadly all my photos of her were taken on 35mm and have not been scanned. Indeed I have so many prints of her, I haven't taken photos of her in years, she is such a common sight in Cork. I really hope to get another opportunity to take a photo of her, however by the sound of things, I fear the worst.

Thank God all the crew and trainees got off safely.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    never had the pleasure of sailing on her but my father did around 1990. a beautiful vessel will be a big loss

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Niamh should be transiting this area soon on her way to France.

53.4°N 6.1°W (Dublin, Ireland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horrible news. So sad. Here's hoping she was on the shallow side of the shelf in the Bay as salvaging her would be so much easier. I've just been told she was 20 miles off the coast which should put her in shallower water

Must have been devestating for the captain watching it sink. Every plank was hand chosen for it. 5 hours after the distress call was made she was only up to her deck in water. The sound must have been awful

The ironic thing is she had just been laid up for maintenance a month ago. Some arsehole was on RTE asking if it could be due to the fact that maintenance budgets are being cut in the DoD. I know for a fact that no expense was spared in her maintenance as I passed her every day the last time she was in port and she spent about twice as long in for maintenance as was scheduled. And of all the times she was in her home port, I must have passed her about 90% of those times. So many times I stood right beside her, yet never set foot on her. Regrets.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gutted to hear of her loss:( A great ship that was probably the most efficient use of tax euros ever devised.If they don't refloat her, I hope they find a replacement vessel soon.I'm delighted that all aboard got off safely.
    regards
    GttC

53.4°N 6.1°W (Dublin, Ireland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tall ships aren't exactly being banged out at a rate of knots, no pun intended.

If we (read, Irish Gov.) don't refloat her I'm sure someone else will and she'll be taken from us. Here's hoping she's refloated soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Asgard II sinks off French coast
    Thursday, 11 September 2008 12:41

The sail training vessel Asgard II has sunk 20 miles off the coast of France in the Bay of Biscay.

The ship was lost at 8.25am local time (7.25am Irish time) 20 nautical miles from the French coast, southwest of Belle-Île-en-Mer.

Asgard II had earlier been abandoned after taking water overnight.
    Advertisement

The alarm was raised shortly before 2.30am this morning.

The Government-owned Asgard II was heading from Falmouth in Cornwall to La Rochelle in France for minor maintenance.

On board were five crew and 20 trainees, most of them Irish. All are civilians and not members of the Defence Forces.

At 2.20am, UK marine coastguard in Kinloss picked up a distress signal from the vessel.

It is understood the Master of the Asgard reported the ship was taking in water. It is not yet known what caused the vessel to be damaged.

All crew and trainees took to life-rafts, and were rescued safely by a French coastguard vessel.

They were taken to a hotel on the nearby island of Belle-Île-en-Mer.

The Irish Ambassador to France, Anne Anderson, is travelling from Paris to Belle-Île to meet the crew and trainees.

The LE Niamh was on its way to offer assistance.

Commandant Fergal Purcell of the Defence Forces said earlier it was too early to know whether the Asgard could be recovered.

The operation of the Asgard II, which is a civilian-run traditionally rigged sailing ship, is run by a voluntary committee chaired by the Minister for Defence.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Terrible news...

Post Thanks / Like
    Gutted. I had saved up half of what I'd needed to go on a voyage next summer.

Now I won't get the chance :(
    I appreciate that you're my employer, and an old man besides....

But if you don't take your goddamn hands off me, I will cut you in half.

Post Thanks / Like
    She was quite unique in every way. Very easy to spot her n an overhead shot of the Tall Ships race, with her distinctive three square brigantine rig. Even more impressive when she flew the "battle ensign".

If she is not refloated she MUST be replaced. Not by a Museum ship like Jeanie Johnson, but by a functional, sleek lined traditionally built, Made in Ireland Tall ship.

Got my first helm hour on her. Sadly I had no logbook to record it at the time, nor had I a discharge book to record my membership of the crew in.

Post Thanks / Like
    RTE news are saying she's in deep water. They did question a former first mate on the feasibility of a salvage. Even if she was refloated one would have to assume major repair work being required that would keep her laid up for quite some time. A replacement would be need to be sourced either way. Building from scratch would take quite a while. Is there any possibility of sourcing anything in the short term?

Post Thanks / Like
    We might get a loan off one of the UK Sail Training agencies.

Her Predecessor, Creidne, is currently out of the Water in Haulbowline undergoing an extensive, and lengthy refit.

Aha: Death=Preconception Lordinajamjar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news indeed but it is indeed heartwarming to hear that no hands were lost.

I hope that she can be re-floated some day soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    she's not in THAT deep water. Perfectly feasable to refloat her. It's the naysayers that don't want it to exist to begin with that are now jumping with joy and putting their spoke in to decing what will happen to what they see as a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on her in 2003, really hope they refloat her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny no stars View Post
    she's not in THAT deep water. Perfectly feasable to refloat her. It's the naysayers that don't want it to exist to begin with that are now jumping with joy and putting their spoke in to decing what will happen to what they see as a waste of money.
    I didn't realise She had any detractors or critics. She has flown the flag for our small isle all over the world. We should have nothing but pride for what she, and her crew of mostly newcomers to sailing, have achieved since 1981.

In her the spirit of Jack Tyrrell, Eric Healy, and even Charlie Haughey, at his champagne not breaking best, lived on.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0911/asgard_av.html
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 11th September 2008 at 22:33.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I was on her in 2003, really hope they refloat her.
    if you sailed on her was much attention given to drills ie what to do in different situations and especially taking on water

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coiste an Asgard is managed by a handful of people and depends on a serious amount of goodwill, yet it generates more positive comment than probably any other Government-owned device or agency and always recieves a warm welcome wherever it goes.If it is to be salvaged and refitted, then the money spent will probably end up being raised by public subscription, but it would be worth every penny.My heart goes out to all crew members, past and present, who must be really gutted that the great ship has sunk.
    regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    if you sailed on her was much attention given to drills ie what to do in different situations and especially taking on water
    When I sailed on her in 1989 our first day aboard was spent going through all the safety drills, for both fire and flooding. What happened in the engineering(small) space what not the concern of the trainees though, as their responsibilities did not include the engine. One of its full time crew was always on watch. I think the fact that all got off safely and promptly yesterday shows the effectiveness of their training methods.

Keep in mind though that because of the type of craft she is, there is no subdivision as on normal naval or merchant vessels. I remember there being one watertight door below forward, and another to the engine room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Per todays Irish Times the minister has said that if it was not possible to salvage the vessal they would examine the possibility of recreating it. It is expected that insurance would cover the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother was on board at the time, he's on his way home at the moment. They seem to think that it may have hit a container or something that was washed off another ship. It would only have had to be floating just under the surface of the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad he got off safely.

Interesting discussion HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Translation of a French news report:

Breast, 11th September

This morning at about 0310, the 32 meter schooner Asgard 2 flying the Irish flag and belonging to the Irish Defence Ministry signaled to the regional surveillance and rescue centre at Etel (CROSSA) that she had a serious leak. The boat was then 22 km west of Belle Ile with 25 people aboard. It was sailing from Falmouth (Great Britain) to La Rochelle.

Crossa then immediately launched a rescue operation by rerouting a commercial vessel, Arklow Venus, and the schooner Beautiful Chicken of the French Navy which were in proximity, calling life boats from Belle Ile and Groix, and requesting the use of two choppers of the French Navy, a Dauphin (not a Renault Dauphin, presumably, ed) from the rescue service based at Lanveoc and a Lynx from the frigate Trouville (so that's where he's been, ed) which was 135 km from the vessel in difficulties.

At around 0400 the crew of Asgard 2 signaled that the boat was sinking, which necessitated an evacuation into liferafts. Around 0430 the elements of the rescue were on scene, The crew were rescued from the liferafts by the lifeboats which are currently on their way to The Palais (Hammersmith? ed) to be landed. The airborne assets were able to confirm that the wreck was afloat and waterlogged. Therefore she presents a danger to navigation.

All the rescue assets have returned to their normal activity. The maritime administration of the Atlantic has sent an urgent warning to navigators, drawing attention to the existence of this danger to navigation. The areas remains under surveillance by the Talut signal station and the French Navy based at Belle Ile.
    How ironic that a ship bearing the name Arklow Venus was one of two to respond to a stricken boat built in Arklow.

Im a ranger!....No really Turncoat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjock View Post
    schooner Beautiful Chicken
    That would be "La belle poule" rather than the beautiful chicken, shes usually referred to by her french name!

http://richardgre.blog.lemonde.fr/fi...1173956379.jpg

THere is a whole fleet of those arklow boats, owned by arklow shipping.
    Faugh A Ballagh

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turncoat View Post
    That would be "La belle poule" rather than the beautiful chicken, shes usually referred to by her french name!
    Beautiful Chicken...Lovely Chicken...whatever floats their boat!

Translation was copied and pasted from the link posted above..

Je suis desole!!

Thread Information