X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Victor
    Decision to leave 'Asgard' on seabed 'disappointing'
    LORNA SIGGINS, Marine Correspondent

“While I cannot commit public monies to a salvage operation, I am open, over the coming months, to considering any realistic and funded proposals from private individuals or groups as to the future of the Asgard II vessel,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...241711659.html
    Someone obviously didn't tell him about "finders keepers"
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• A ship is a ship. Yes she is of historical significance but so was the the thousands
      It is of no signifiance as its merely a replica of the original Asgard-

the only historical or nostaligcal significance is that some posh kids had there first sexual encounter

on it- whilst on posh kids holidays
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Plank (er)
        Air Corps Veteran

Comment

• see my previous posting on the word plank

Comment

• Listen, you chippy hedgedweller,
            It would have been little short of a miracle for anyone to get their end away on a cramped 50-foot ship with 23 other souls on board.Only the crew had "private" sleeping quarters.Apart from that, it was open to anyone, regardless of postcode or Daddy's job or accent, to get a berth onboard. Asgard II's replacement will be the same, whereas "Creidne" will be less accessible and will be mobbed by NS/NSR types
            regards
            GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
              Someone obviously didn't tell him about "finders keepers"
              Not quite. Am I right in saying the Asgard II fell under the dept of Defence? If that is the case then she is a military training vessel and as such is protected against salvage by unauthorised persons indefinatley

Just look at the gold find off that spanish galleon a couple of years back. The salvage crew were detained by Spanish authorities because any property on a military ship remains the property of the State its from. Well thats my understanding of it.

The marine salvage laws are about as deep as the Mariana Trench!
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Asgard

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

the only historical or nostaligcal significance is that some posh kids had there first sexual encounter

Are you sure it is a replica? Asgard is in Collins Bks and doesn't look a bit like Asgard II.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoker View Post
                  Are you sure it is a replica? Asgard is in Collins Bks and doesn't look a bit like Asgard II.
                  Here she is so! Does the replica look like this?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• For just over 3.6million euro you could have this

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                      Buy it Zulu, quick! Just a lick of paint at your place and it will be fine!

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

It isn't a replica of the original asgard. Childers Yacht was a Gaff Rigged Ketch. Asgard II is a Brigantine.(it has square sails).
                        And as for your comment about posh kids. Withdraw it, or i will reveal your secret.

The clock is ticking.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• ahhh that comment

PM me details of the secret

just in case its my really juicy one

Comment

• The one you told me just recently. You lost your PM privelages....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                              Not quite. Am I right in saying the Asgard II fell under the dept of Defence? If that is the case then she is a military training vessel and as such is protected against salvage by unauthorised persons indefinatley

Just look at the gold find off that spanish galleon a couple of years back. The salvage crew were detained by Spanish authorities because any property on a military ship remains the property of the State its from. Well thats my understanding of it.

The marine salvage laws are about as deep as the Mariana Trench!
                              bollox...

and I was all set to raid daddy's savings and have me a nice new boat (just for you hedgie)
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Not quite. Am I right in saying the Asgard II fell under the dept of Defence? If that is the case then she is a military training vessel and as such is protected against salvage by unauthorised persons indefinatley

The following is from Coiste an Asgard:

While "Asgard II" is owned by the State and the Minister for Defence is its registered owner, it is not a Naval Service vessel. It is managed by Coiste an Asgard, the committee first formed in 1968 which is now a company limited by guarantee. The Chairman of the company is the Minister for Defence and most of the other directors are experienced yachts people with a keen interest in sail training. Coiste an Asgard is also a founding member of Sail Training International, the body which regulates sail training throughout the world.

She's NOT a military vessel.

Comment

Working...
                                X