No announcement yet.

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She was not under the command of a commissioned officer of the state - therefore does not fulfill the tests of UNCLOS

Comment

• Thats why I was asking if she was or not. Didn't know if she was. Thanks for the informed answers.

I'll just go get my dive gear.........
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• To be honest about it, being a military vessel would mean feck all if she carried something anyone was interested in, several ''classified'' wrecks have bee explored/salvaged in the past , and no doubt , will be in the future...
        Willie is to be congratulated on the extent of his dithering, to make sure the ship was beyond economic repair, so they could collect the insurance for the state coffers instead of removing another huge peice of litter off the seabed.
        One wonderd what the motivation for this was.

Perhaps [sir] Tony or some other rich Irish person will step in and rescue the AsgardII from the seabed, but I doubt it, as there is no profit in it and this country is only run on greed...
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Perhaps the 4,500 people who signed the petition at the recent boat show

would put there own hands in there own pockets and pay for there own kids sail training.

Of my circle of freinds and acquinatances and even in my barracks (CBB) I could not find one person who

knows anyone who got to go on the Asgard
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by david View Post
            The following is from Coiste an Asgard:

While "Asgard II" is owned by the State and the Minister for Defence is its registered owner, it is not a Naval Service vessel. It is managed by Coiste an Asgard, the committee first formed in 1968 which is now a company limited by guarantee. The Chairman of the company is the Minister for Defence and most of the other directors are experienced yachts people with a keen interest in sail training. Coiste an Asgard is also a founding member of Sail Training International, the body which regulates sail training throughout the world.

She's NOT a military vessel.
            :confused: I wonder what these so called experienced people insure their own yachts for as they had not a clue what asgard was insured for when she sank ,, time to look at the account books minister

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Of my circle of freinds and acquinatances and even in my barracks (CBB) I could not find one person who

knows anyone who got to go on the Asgard
              Perhaps a more appropriate question to ask them would be if any of them know anyone who actually APPLIED to sail on her.

If you didn't apply, Coiste an Asgard weren't going to come looking for you...

I know lots of people who didn't sail on her, as none of them applied to sail on her.

I have yet to meet anybody who sought to sail on her but was turned down. Everyone that I know who applied went on and sailed on her.
              Last edited by david; 25 February 2009, 14:56.

Comment

• Perhaps the 4,500 people who signed the petition at the recent boat show

would put there own hands in there own pockets and pay for there own kids sail training.
                I agree with this. I signed the petition and will gladly fork out a donation should a fund be started to raise her.

Comment

• hedgie,
                  I promise you, if they build an Asgard III or get a replacement, we'll do our level best, here in IMO-land, to get an application(chip-free) under your nose and the noses of your acquaintances and likely family members, get them to fill it in and send em on and see what happens. They might actually like it, which may come as a complete shock to your system.
                  regards
                  GttC(de-chipped by Asgard)

Comment

• I know at least 1 person who was on Asgard II and seafaring is now their career.

Comment

• That's a serious chip you have on you're shoulder there hedgehog. You might wan't to talk to somebody about it. Seriously, you couldn't be further from the mark on this one. While it was very hard to get on the Asgard for the Tall Ships race, one should have had no problem getting a berth on her at other time. The two times I sailed on the Asgard were some of the happiest times of my life and I am now considering a nautical career as a result. And I don't come from the "posh yachtie" background you keep alluding to.

Comment

• Originally posted by david View Post
                        I agree with this. I signed the petition and will gladly fork out a donation should a fund be started to raise her.
                        Thats not what hedgehog said.
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• Deputy Simon Coveney: This matter has been handled appallingly. This vessel, which is owned by the Irish State, sank almost six months ago. Thank God no one lost their life because the crew managed to get off the vessel before it sank. The vessel has a significant history. It is not a yachting issue for people who like to go sailing or send their children sailing. The Asgard’s role is far more fundamental. Some 10,000 people from all sorts of backgrounds have been on the vessel during sail training programmes of various types that were highly valuable. I have personal experience of the positive effects that sail training can have on people who need direction and guidance. The Asgard fulfilled that role, but it is now at the bottom of the sea. I spoke to the Minister last week and gave him a proposal that was put together by a series of people who wanted to compile an accurate costing for the vessel’s refurbishment if it was refloated. Some €3.8 million is available to the Minister in insurance attached to the Asgard II. It will cost approximately €1.5 million to €2 million to raise the vessel, which leaves in or around €2 million to refurbish it.

Deputy Deenihan and I told the Minister that if he is going to leave the ship at the bottom of the sea, he should at least give us a written consideration as to why he is doing so, backed up with evidence and costings. We do not want the opinions of the board of Coiste an Asgard which made a recommendation to the Minister, having discussed the issue at length. I want to see hard evidence before I will support any proposal to leave this vessel at the bottom of the sea.

Neither will I accept that the vessel cannot be raised and refurbished at a cost that is potentially much less than the Minister’s proposal to build a new vessel, a steel replica of Asgard II. Such a proposal will cost between €5 million and €7 million which is not an option in the current economic environment. The Government knows that. This is a spin job to get people to accept that the boat will remain at the bottom of the sea. The Government does not want to raise the vessel and does not want the risks associated with that. It promises to build a replica at some stage in the future but I do not believe it will.

The least the Opposition can expect is that the Minister will provide a written report outlining the basis of the recommendation to leave this vessel, which has already been valued at €4 million, unsalvaged. There is also an investigative responsibility on the Minister to discover why the ship sank which will not be established unless it is raised.
                          I wouldn's send that jackeen with the chip on the new Asgard, if its ever built. A chip that size would only cause the new ship to capsize.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• UK Tall Ships trust Brig for sale

Comment

• Originally posted by Gekko View Post
                              What sort of value would there be on this ship?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                I wouldn's send that jackeen with the chip on the new Asgard, if its ever built. A chip that size would only cause the new ship to capsize.
                                If SImon my dad was the TD therefore I have the right to the seat Coveney

is so interested in sailing for the masses

why does he allow his family boat ( the HM Trust fund)

to be used to take the thousands of ordinary people interested in sailing

out on the high seas
                                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                                X