No announcement yet.

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down in cork we have a system that may be alien to you. It's called an election. People vote for who they consider to be the best person for the Job. Simon is. His Father also was an honourable man who would still be a fine public representative, was it not for his tragic death.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Down in cork we have a system that may be alien to you. It's called an election. People vote for who they consider to be the best person for the Job. Simon is. His Father also was an honourable man who would still be a fine public representative, was it not for his tragic death.

I think that the blue shirt version of an election and the rest of Chrisendoms version are

poles apart

when Daddy Coveney died- there were 2 main candidates to replace him

1 was a girl who looked after his constituency and knew the constiuency inside out, had worked there loyally for years and was extremely popular with the constituents.

the second watuencys a young lad whose only experience was handing out leaflets for
      the sitting TD- he wasnt even in the country he was away sailing the world (charitable gig)
      but he had an ace in the hole

The dead TD was his daddy- the blue shirts chose neoptism and imposed young simon on the constitituency-

and just in case you think this no longer happens

there is a lass taking a case against the blue shirts in the High Court tommorow

in that in violation of its own party Constitution, the blue shirts refused to allow

the party faithful choose who contests the forth coming local election in

Dunlaighoire

and you have the cheek to tell me about elections
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Hmm

Brain Cowen
        Brain lenihan
        Conor Lenihan
        Sean Haughey

should I go on?

Comment

• Christ yes

Its wrong no matter who does it

by jaysus you were quick though in your reply

Comment

• 80. Deputy Richard Bruton asked the Minister for Defence if at any stage he was advised that Asgard II could be raised; the length of time involved in preparing surveys assessing the condition of the Asgard II underwater; if those surveys recorded a decline in the condition of Asgard II due to the length of time underwater; if provided with private finance, he would support a raising of Asgard II; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9866/09]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): Insofar as I am concerned, the question as to whether or not Asgard 11 could be raised is not an issue. The main factors that have to be considered are the likely cost of a salvage operation, the condition of the vessel after salvage and, if the vessel is capable of being restored, the cost of restoration. As the Deputy is aware, the board of An Coiste unanimously recommended to me that a salvage operation should not be undertaken, and I accepted that recommendation.

During the period from the sinking of the vessel on 11 September 2008 up to the end of November, the initial underwater survey was carried out and a preferred salvage contractor was identified as a result of a tender process conducted by the insurer of the vessel, Allianz Plc. That initial survey revealed that the vessel was lying upright in some 80m of water and appeared to be largely intact other than some visible damage to one of the hull planks. Apart from that, the survey did not reveal anything about the extent of damage to the vessel.

Following consideration of the outcome of the tender process, the board of An Coiste decided in early December that a further underwater survey should be carried out as soon as possible. However, it did not prove possible to arrange that survey until 28 January 2009. In the event, it was not possible to complete the survey due to adverse weather conditions. However, a sonar image of the vessel was obtained which appeared to show it to be still in an upright position.

As I have already indicated, I am open to considering any realistic and funded proposals from private individuals or groups as to the future of the vessel.

Coiste an Asgard.

60. Deputy James Bannon asked the Minister for Defence the names of the members of Coiste an Asgard; the qualification or experience each board member has in sail training; if he is satisfied that each of them have the necessary qualifications to make a judgement on whether the Asgard II should be salvaged; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9859/09]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): The Minister for Defence is ex-officio a director of Coiste an Asgard. At present the other members of the board are:

Ms Joannes Berkery

Mr Brian Byrne

Mr James Gleeson

Mr Pat Hogan

Mr Gerard Kiely

Commodore Frank Lynch

Mr Paddy Madden

Mr Gerry McMahon

Mr Seamus McLoughlin

Ms Kalanne O’Leary

Mr Eoin O’Mahony

Mr Joe McPeake

Mr Noel Ryan

I am satisfied that all of the directors have relevant qualifications and experience to be effective members of the board. I should mention that no fees are paid to any of the directors, who give freely of their time and expertise to the sail training scheme.

Asgard II Replacement Vessel.

61. Deputy Brian O’Shea asked the Minister for Defence the reason for his decision not to proceed with plans to salvage the Asgard II; if his attention has been drawn to the disappointment his decision has caused, particularly to persons who have received training on the vessel and others who hoped to do so in the future; if he will reconsider the decision; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9758/09]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): As the Deputy will be aware, I have accepted the unanimous recommendation of the board of Coiste an Asgard not to proceed with the salvage of Asgard II. The main reason for that decision was that I considered that the risks were too great to commit to spending a sum in the region of €2 million at this time on a salvage effort where the outcome is uncertain. I also had to consider the cost of restoration, which cannot be accurately assessed until after the vessel is raised. Obviously, the greater the damage caused to the vessel, the higher the cost of restoration. The decision not to proceed with a salvage operation was taken after very thorough consideration of all relevant factors and I regret that I am not in a position to reconsider that decision.

However, as I have already stated, while I cannot commit public monies to a salvage operation, I will consider any realistic and funded proposals from private individuals or groups with regard to the future of Asgard II.

Comment

• why not broaden the scope of the body to have a vessel which would allow seatraining rather than just sailtraining , this would allow any apprentice involved in, electrics , mechanics, instrumentation,plumers and engineers of many different trades to used the vessel .
              The vessel could also by other state bodies as required .

All with the assitance of fas to supply the required trainees who would have the time counted towards completion of their course and direct application to an coiste for a place for normal people .

The use of a motor vessel would be less romantic I admit but the fundamental aim would be achived.
              They would also be maintaing a shipping skill base , Which is slowly being lost in europe.

The basic ethos of the organisation to allow people to grow through training would still be intact.

Has anybody got any ithoughts on this .good idea /bad idea

Comment

• The use of a motor vessel would be less romantic
                NMCI has simultaors why bother witha real ship.

All with the assitance of fas to supply the required trainees who would have the time counted towards completion of their course and direct application to an coiste for a place for normal people
                DF already recoup the costs of Apprenticeships from FAS..nothing to be gained from the stae employing more apprentices to do less work.

The vessel could also by other state bodies as required
                Celtic Explorer and Granuaile already cover this option, why replicate it even further?
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• There was a letter in the Irish Times

to the effect that the Jeannie Johnson is sitting in Dublin docks

doing nothing

could that not be used as a sail training vessel

I did 5 days in the Tailte - by the way

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    There was a letter in the Irish Times

to the effect that the Jeannie Johnson is sitting in Dublin docks

doing nothing

could that not be used as a sail training vessel

I did 5 days in the Tailte - by the way
                    Because she is a piece of shit. To put it simply. She was not built nor designed by shipbuilders, but by historians, with a romantic eye. She is ideal for remaking the Onedin Line, but useless for anything else. She's a tub, with most of her deck equipment installed as an afterthought.

She just looks wrong. And at sea if something looks wrong, it acts the same way. She has no "lines".

Comment

• She has no "lines".

Landlubber no understand

Comment

• She has the hydronamic qualities(water version of aerodynamic) of a rounded brick.

Comment

• I did 5 days in the Tailte - by the way
                          Did you claim for PDA?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• NO-

I nearly lost the dinghy though until the skipper - got into a wet suit and swam after it

I do remember swimming of Fast Net

and drinking bottles of dry martini cna Cinanzo Boanco ( dont even ask)

good times

Comment

• Did you have Duran Duran singing "Rio" in the background?

Comment

• nah- Bangles and Tanita Tikaram and

the bird who sings talking bout a revoloution

her album was just out and I had loads of mingy tapes from the leb

Comment

Working...
                                X