Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

The sail training vessel Asgard II has sunk 20 miles off the coast of France in the Bay of Biscay.

Everyone is safe, pitty to see it sink.

Threads merged
    Last edited by johnny no stars; 11 September 2008, 11:54.

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Irish yacht sinking near France

An Irish government-owned training yacht is sinking in the Bay of Biscay, off the coast of France.

All 25 crew and trainees on the Asgard II were rescued by the French coastguard after managing to get onto life rafts.

They were taken to the nearby island of Belle Isle where they are recovering from their ordeal.

A distress signal was sent at about 0500 BST, but it is not yet known why the vessel got into difficulties.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Very sad news. She has given countless people who otherwise wouldn't get the chance, the experience of Tall Ship sailing, and more importantly, what teamwork really means. Hopefully she can(and will) be salvaged.

I Got my wish of sailing on her in 1989, and experienced an Irish Sea crossing in a force 8, and enjoyed every minute of it. Later on, I became a member of the Asgard Support group, and was happy, like many others to give up my winter weekends sanding and varnishing, and polishing brass.
    Sadly all my photos of her were taken on 35mm and have not been scanned. Indeed I have so many prints of her, I haven't taken photos of her in years, she is such a common sight in Cork. I really hope to get another opportunity to take a photo of her, however by the sound of things, I fear the worst.

Thank God all the crew and trainees got off safely.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

never had the pleasure of sailing on her but my father did around 1990. a beautiful vessel will be a big loss

Comment

Niamh should be transiting this area soon on her way to France.

Comment

Horrible news. So sad. Here's hoping she was on the shallow side of the shelf in the Bay as salvaging her would be so much easier. I've just been told she was 20 miles off the coast which should put her in shallower water

Must have been devestating for the captain watching it sink. Every plank was hand chosen for it. 5 hours after the distress call was made she was only up to her deck in water. The sound must have been awful

The ironic thing is she had just been laid up for maintenance a month ago. Some arsehole was on RTE asking if it could be due to the fact that maintenance budgets are being cut in the DoD. I know for a fact that no expense was spared in her maintenance as I passed her every day the last time she was in port and she spent about twice as long in for maintenance as was scheduled. And of all the times she was in her home port, I must have passed her about 90% of those times. So many times I stood right beside her, yet never set foot on her. Regrets.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
          Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
          Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
          Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Gutted to hear of her loss:( A great ship that was probably the most efficient use of tax euros ever devised.If they don't refloat her, I hope they find a replacement vessel soon.I'm delighted that all aboard got off safely.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Tall ships aren't exactly being banged out at a rate of knots, no pun intended.

If we (read, Irish Gov.) don't refloat her I'm sure someone else will and she'll be taken from us. Here's hoping she's refloated soon.

Comment

Asgard II sinks off French coast
                Thursday, 11 September 2008 12:41

The sail training vessel Asgard II has sunk 20 miles off the coast of France in the Bay of Biscay.

The ship was lost at 8.25am local time (7.25am Irish time) 20 nautical miles from the French coast, southwest of Belle-ÃŽle-en-Mer.

Asgard II had earlier been abandoned after taking water overnight.
                Advertisement

The alarm was raised shortly before 2.30am this morning.

The Government-owned Asgard II was heading from Falmouth in Cornwall to La Rochelle in France for minor maintenance.

On board were five crew and 20 trainees, most of them Irish. All are civilians and not members of the Defence Forces.

At 2.20am, UK marine coastguard in Kinloss picked up a distress signal from the vessel.

It is understood the Master of the Asgard reported the ship was taking in water. It is not yet known what caused the vessel to be damaged.

All crew and trainees took to life-rafts, and were rescued safely by a French coastguard vessel.

They were taken to a hotel on the nearby island of Belle-ÃŽle-en-Mer.

The Irish Ambassador to France, Anne Anderson, is travelling from Paris to Belle-ÃŽle to meet the crew and trainees.

The LE Niamh was on its way to offer assistance.

Commandant Fergal Purcell of the Defence Forces said earlier it was too early to know whether the Asgard could be recovered.

The operation of the Asgard II, which is a civilian-run traditionally rigged sailing ship, is run by a voluntary committee chaired by the Minister for Defence.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Terrible news...

Comment

Gutted. I had saved up half of what I'd needed to go on a voyage next summer.

Now I won't get the chance :(
                  If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

She was quite unique in every way. Very easy to spot her n an overhead shot of the Tall Ships race, with her distinctive three square brigantine rig. Even more impressive when she flew the "battle ensign".

If she is not refloated she MUST be replaced. Not by a Museum ship like Jeanie Johnson, but by a functional, sleek lined traditionally built, Made in Ireland Tall ship.

Got my first helm hour on her. Sadly I had no logbook to record it at the time, nor had I a discharge book to record my membership of the crew in.

Comment

RTE news are saying she's in deep water. They did question a former first mate on the feasibility of a salvage. Even if she was refloated one would have to assume major repair work being required that would keep her laid up for quite some time. A replacement would be need to be sourced either way. Building from scratch would take quite a while. Is there any possibility of sourcing anything in the short term?

Comment

We might get a loan off one of the UK Sail Training agencies.

Her Predecessor, Creidne, is currently out of the Water in Haulbowline undergoing an extensive, and lengthy refit.

Comment

Very sad news indeed but it is indeed heartwarming to hear that no hands were lost.

I hope that she can be re-floated some day soon.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

she's not in THAT deep water. Perfectly feasable to refloat her. It's the naysayers that don't want it to exist to begin with that are now jumping with joy and putting their spoke in to decing what will happen to what they see as a waste of money.

Comment

I was on her in 2003, really hope they refloat her.

Comment

Working...
                              X