No announcement yet.

Naval Reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often wondered why the RN offloaded the River Class Mine Warefare vessels as fast as they did given most were relatively new.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

They were very specific in role. Fine ships as a replacement for the ton class though. They will carry on for many years to come though, like the Peacocks have as patrol vessels in their new homes of Bangladesh, Brazil and Guyana.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Just bringing things back to NSR training topic. I've received dates for my NSR recruit training but I'm a bit confused about the weekend dates.

The dates are three days from Friday to Sunday. I'm assuming most here are Army Reserve but I'm sure training timing is done on a similar format.

What time would the Friday training usually start? Is it Friday evening on until Sunday evening or is the Friday a full day?

Already taking two weeks leave for the FTT so hoping six more Fridays aren't also required!

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          Just bringing things back to NSR training topic. I've received dates for my NSR recruit training but I'm a bit confused about the weekend dates.

The dates are three days from Friday to Sunday. I'm assuming most here are Army Reserve but I'm sure training timing is done on a similar format.

What time would the Friday training usually start? Is it Friday evening on until Sunday evening or is the Friday a full day?

Already taking two weeks leave for the FTT so hoping six more Fridays aren't also required!
          My advice is following the directions as laid down in your Joining Instructions and then follow the procedures as required in Barracks. For new people it will be Admin , Uniform , wearing same, medical, and eventually drills and All arms. Don't get ahead of where you are and don't worry.

Comment

You will have to reach out to your point of contact to clarify the start time on Friday. In the past where I have seen Friday starts it is for an evening report time BUT I am a long time out of recruit training so you really need to CONFIRM with someone involved in the current process.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
              You will have to reach out to your point of contact to clarify the start time on Friday. In the past where I have seen Friday starts it is for an evening report time BUT I am a long time out of recruit training so you really need to CONFIRM with someone involved in the current process.
              I would have expected it be the evening. I'm certainly hoping it is as I work 8-4.30 and six extra days for Friday evenings would mean the annual leave requirements for recruit training would be 16 days (10 days for FTT also) in less than three months!

It seems most of the other recruits are students or have more flexible employment so don't have the same issues with regards getting time off. I've also got the impression that some (or all) of the recruit training is done by the PDF so a day's training on a Friday wouldn't be an issue for them. It would just be a shame to not be able to complete the training due to not having the annual leave to do it.

I've received joining instructions but there is no start time, location, transport details, etc (not sure if all training takes place in Haulbowline and some in the NSR home location). I just have the dates and kit list really.

I only have email for my PDF contact and have followed up on that but thought I'd ask here to get ahead of myself with planning leave in work. Booking numerous days off isn't that easy where you're given only short notice and other people have holidays booked! :-)

Comment

I feel your pain Auldsod. It is pretty poor communication on behalf of the NSR not to include information on reporting times. It is also very short sighted of them (if this is the case) to require 6 extra days by training on Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                  I feel your pain Auldsod. It is pretty poor communication on behalf of the NSR not to include information on reporting times. It is also very short sighted of them (if this is the case) to require 6 extra days by training on Fridays.
                  It seems to be a bit rushed due to usual medical delays etc. A lot of it's outside of the NSR's control really. I'd imagine they are trying their best to get the training going and get new recruits in so there is probably a lag with the finer details.

Whether or not the six extra days are full days or not isn't confirmed yet but yup, it would be extremely short sighted if that's the case. Six Fridays off and another two full weeks on top of that out of fourteen weeks would be pretty exceptional. That's 8/14 Friday's out of work - I'm more than willing to give up my time but my employer might not!

Here is hoping for a Friday evening start for all those!!
                  Last edited by Auldsod; 4 September 2018, 12:45.

Comment

With regard to Friday start, it is highly likely to be Friday evening/night (but only unit can confirm)

There is a focus in at least 2 NSR locations to getting people in, through the process and thought recruit training in an efficient and timely manner.

Remember your training has to also fit around Accomodiation, instructor and training resources availability.

It is definitely a positive move

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      With regard to Friday start, it is highly likely to be Friday evening/night (but only unit can confirm)

There is a focus in at least 2 NSR locations to getting people in, through the process and thought recruit training in an efficient and timely manner.

Remember your training has to also fit around Accomodiation, instructor and training resources availability.

It is definitely a positive move
                      I'm assuming the weekends are at NSR home location as transporting four locations worth of recruits up and down to Haulbowline over numerous weekends would be a logistical headache. If that's the case, I suspect an evening start.

I must say that I'm impressed with my own locations push and drive to get things done. It has me very positive about the impending experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                        I'm assuming the weekends are at NSR home location as transporting four locations worth of recruits up and down to Haulbowline over numerous weekends would be a logistical headache. If that's the case, I suspect an evening start.

I must say that I'm impressed with my own locations push and drive to get things done. It has me very positive about the impending experience.
                        Not 100% sure on that, could be Haulbowline

I know there is definitely co-ordination in the recruit training between all the NSR units

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Not 100% sure on that, could be Haulbowline

I know there is definitely co-ordination in the recruit training between all the NSR units
                          I'll be getting well acquainted with the roads of Munster so.

Comment

NSR Recruit training is all carried out in the Naval Base under the Naval College, the instructors are NSR NCOs who are all SIC 2 qualified. Weekend trains begins on Friday evening when you are expected to report at 22.00 hrs, the 2 weeks full time training is long and hard, early starts and late nights, no shore leave and no drinking. It is hard for a reason , you are joining the Defence Forces. Enjoy it ,it only happens once.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                              NSR Recruit training is all carried out in the Naval Base under the Naval College, the instructors are NSR NCOs who are all SIC 2 qualified. Weekend trains begins on Friday evening when you are expected to report at 22.00 hrs, the 2 weeks full time training is long and hard, early starts and late nights, no shore leave and no drinking. It is hard for a reason , you are joining the Defence Forces. Enjoy it ,it only happens once.
                              Hi Popeye, you seem to have some up to date info (I've not heard back from the NSR both PDF or RDF yet). I may hit the phones tomorrow!

Reporting at 22.00 to Haulbowline - can you drive yourself or do you have to take the transport put on (which I'm sure it will be)?

No shore leave or drinking sounds good to me. Better to put the head down and get through to it. Looking forward to the two weeks now. I'm sure it'll be tough but it's still only two weeks which is nothing on what the PDF recruits have to do!
                              Last edited by Auldsod; 4 September 2018, 19:56.

Comment

If your offered transport and it suits you, my advise is take advantage of it - there are enough costs associated with service in the RDF.... you won’t get mileage

2 weeks.... treated the same, doing much (not all) of the same training, held to the same standards, same culture shock etc

Comment

Working...
                                X