Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Update the armour?

Wouldn't some more modern light tanks be useful to the Army? Something along the lines of a light tank like this one from Sweden, the Ikv-91 or otherwise known as Infanterikanonvagn 91 ......see link:

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/ikv_91.htm

Some of those could replace the aging Scorpions and AML-90's, no?
    A dozen or two would be great. They're light, fast, pack a fair punch for the tag. They look like they would be a bit more lethal. Less of a silhouette for someone to fire at too, eh? 2.36m tall! The lack of gyrostabilization is a letdown though...
    Solution for an idiot: frontline infantry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update the armour with a tank that ceased production in 1978. Interesting concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps its time too look for the return of the .303 as well, the model with the 18" bayonets,
    sure to scare the opposition the sight of all that naked aggressive steel!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it on good authority that the DF is currently considering replacing the Scorpion with this example from the French. It has already proved its value for them in combat...

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.c...serialNumber=1

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thompson's of Carlow will start churning them out! There won't be a manhole cover or steam boiler left safe(to supply the appropriate steel)......still, the French habit of using the commander as the gunner lives on in the AML, so maybe using a Renault FT isn't that bad an idea.They probably still make bits for it....
    The Scorpions will be replaced by something cheap, obsolete, cheap, lethal to scarcely-armed native wallahs, cheap,made out of existing car parts, cheap,equipped with an obsolete calibre gun, cheap, not a threat to any known tank, cheap.....so, could Thompson's put the Landsverk back into production, d'ye think?
    regards(in jest)
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The Scorpions will be replaced by something cheap, obsolete, cheap, lethal to scarcely-armed native wallahs, cheap,made out of existing car parts, cheap,equipped with an obsolete calibre gun, cheap, not a threat to any known tank, cheap.....so, could Thompson's put the Landsverk back into production, d'ye think?
    regards(in jest)
    GttC
    . . . . . . starting with Third place,

and in Second place,

and the winner is:-

the rusty Japanese bucket, only one previous owner and low mileage!!

Connaught Stranger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Connaught Stranger; 1st October 2008 at 10:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh God..another American expert on the Irish Army.........................
    Time for another break I think......

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not only has the IKV-91 being out of production since 1978, it has also been retired from service with Sweden, and have gone to the scrap heap with a few preserved.
    Last edited by paul g; 30th September 2008 at 23:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    They look like they would be a bit more lethal.
    Gotta love that quote.

Well done to the mod who let this first post stand!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjock View Post
    Update the armour with a tank that ceased production in 1978. Interesting concept.
    Well, I never tried to be an expert on the Irish Army, and I will admit, I was pressed for time when I wrote that post and didn't have my copy of Janes' about - therefore the Ikv was the only thing I could remember. I only made a suggestion that was flawed I admit, but I only intended to make some form of decent impression upon you all.

Besides, wasn't the first prototypes for the Alvis Scorpion Recon Vehicle put out in 1969, and the AML 90 in '75? I don't see much threat from those either.... What are you going to do if you have to use those antiques? Ram them and hope to cause an explosion that might blow off an enemy track? My example for replacement might not have been the greatest, but I think that the fact still stands that the current vehicles need to be replaced.

For the record, my grandfather was in the Irish military and so was his father. I'm not just some random know-it-all American. I truly have an interest in the Irish military. I have unbelievable amounts of matierial have collected and pored through over and over, an entire bookshelf of books and DVD's and photographs, and I have all of the White Papers on Defence for the last decade, etc. etc. Flatly put,

Sorry I made such a bad entrance guys. Apologies.

Whippet
    Solution for an idiot: frontline infantry.

Post Thanks / Like
    the French habit of using the commander as the gunner lives on in the AML
    two seperate entities... commander and gunner...one sits on the right the other on the left.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, do they toss a coin to see who loads, then? No, it's your turn...no, it's yours....
    regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    No you ginnet ..one makes the tea and warms the breakfast rolls while the other does all the work.... did they teach you anything in the Don

**** sake thats why there is a three man crew... Driver to get you to the filling station, one turret sitter to aquire vittles while the third turret sitter fights off the' phatasians.'.. boy has the army changed since your day !

Its is not the same in the Mowag as the have a breakfast roll heating thing fitted as standard..and a teasmaid... jesus you know nothing about 'tanks'

"Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If (and it's a big un) they were going to get a light tracked heavily armed vehicle....my monies on the CV-90120

Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Silly me for thinking that the party-hats might be doing anything other than posing or scoffing! you probably boil water off the engine for tea, do you?
    regards
    GttC
    PS: no tank will ever be bought for the DF unless it has a "footprint" less than that of a horse.Wouldn't do to scratch the precious Curragh, would it, now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Silly me for thinking that the party-hats might be doing anything other than posing or scoffing! you probably boil water off the engine for tea, do you?
    You're really showing your age ..you can get some nice tea and coffee in service stations, two coffees in an insulated mug ..ah the comforts of home.

While deployed on exercise the cav can also send out the DR to get pizza or chinese...ration packs are for those who haven't learned the finer things in life yet!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm waiting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    GttC

PS: no tank will ever be bought for the DF unless it has a "footprint" less than that of a horse. And can be converted to a mini U-boat for some of the more wetter parts of the country Wouldn't do to scratch the precious Curragh, would it, now?

Fixed it for ya

Connaught Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post

Sorry I made such a bad entrance guys. Apologies.

Whippet
    Don't worry about it, I've seen worse entrances! Welcome to IMO.

From the same website you linked to here's a little beast of a machine:

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/sprut_sd.htm

If it wasn't for the 125mm main armament....

There is a video promo at the bottom of the page-watch how it jumps backwards when firing the main gun from a stand still.

Last edited by Jetjock; 1st October 2008 at 17:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not all the surprising the someone looking from outside would try to come up with good deals for an under resourced military. The truth is we could come up with cash for such goodies as the CV-90 if we were that bothered.

If we had been offered that IVK-91 20 years ago(and prepared to pay for it), it might have been a very good addition. Looked the business for it's day.

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murph,
    It's good to have handy underlings available to do the mundane stuff.It's quite tedious having to scrape sheep-dung off the tyre treads.A task one should always leave to others, of course...The "erks" are excellent but tend to leave oily finger prints on one's car, though.Not to mention the Panhards.They get absolutely scruffy with crisp wrappers and breakfast roll remnants.Thank God, the driver is handily placed to catch the stuff as it falls...The ammunition racks are just the right size for Pringles tubes and cleverly placed so near at hand,too.Had to stop carrying champagne in the racks, though.All that heat from the engine caused a bottle to blow off.Damn near killed my crew, that bloody cork did, ricochetting around inside for absolute ages until it lodged in a radio. Useless bit of kit, that.Can't pick up the BBC but seems to be always tuned to some ghastly country-music station.
    The cavalry.Last refuge of the right kind of chap, I find.
    regards and toodle-pip
    GttC

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole question is what do we need this sort of vehicle for. Stoping a british armoured assault at the Boyne?

If its for overseas, as with the rest of our equipment, then the only real reason for it is to engage other main battle tanks; if that the case we should look at buying MBT like the leopard 2 , not something like the Cv-90120T.

The Canadians for example were all set to buy the Stryker Mobile gun system, but opted instead for Leopard 2, as it was more effectiv. And despite the fact that these vehicles have been on sale for over a decade in the case of the Cv-90120, nobody else has bought them partly becuaue they offer no real advantage over MBT, and are considerable less effective. The Ikv-91 was retired because the Swedes realised that it was ineffective against MBT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't pick up the BBC but seems to be always tuned to some ghastly country-music station.
    The cavalry
    BBC using the coms in Pahards in days of yore you werwe lucky to be able to pick up the guy sitting next to you.

Had to stop carrying champagne in the racks

tip from a cavarly man..fill the bins on the hull with ice.. keeps the champers nice and cool and you can take the picnic bastket from the turret bustle basket of box.. depending on whether its a twent or a ninety , unfurl the Awning and invite the rest of the truop around for lunch

The ammunition racks are just the right size for Pringles tubes
    or the spare breakfast role should the next availble service station be closed.

The placing of the trenching plates on the front make for anady place to store ones golf clubs in case a break in the exercise allows one to get nine holes in.

Im a ranger!....No really Turncoat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a slightly more serious note is there a brew box in an aml?
    The spartans we use occasionally have one on the door, positioned perfectly to spill boiling water all over the back seaters when you hit a bump. Its a bit like locking yourself in a metal locker, getting your mates to roll it along the ground while simultaneously pouring boiling water into it!
    Faugh A Ballagh

Thread Information