Is the ranger course really that hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The typo is on the badge.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      is spelling a part ofthe selection course?
      Might explain the lack of books published by former members of the ARW

Comment

MOD: Keep to the thread!

Comment

God the airport in pedanticland must be a busy one....what with everyone visiting this time of year.....
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

My Final say on the whole thing is

Of Course it is that hard..otherwise every clown and his mother would apply and pass.Its not for the faint hearted.

easiest way to find out..is try it and come back and tell us.

Mutter Nutter. That signature clip is brilliant.. the gusy reactions are fantastic..maybe he should try the Wing after he leaves school.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Ah, the search function, isn't it wonderful?

As an answer to the first question in the thread, i refer to a previous post I made.....

Originally posted by Snacker View Post
              Hell??? It can't be that bad!
              I remember a Cosantoir article that called 1st day of training "Like opening the gates of Mordor".

So yes, that bad.
              If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

sky had the doc TWO WEEKS IN HELL about the green berets... how does it compare to our arw

Comment

From what I hear, similar, though the numbers are smaller.
                  The ARW learnt much of their art in the US.(Though mostly Fort Benning, Georgia)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slacker View Post
                    Ah, the search function, isn't it wonderful?

As an answer to the first question in the thread, i refer to a previous post I made.....
                    One does not simply tab into Mordor...

Comment

• I've had the the great experience of being an observer to a selection course, knowing some who were instructing and candidates.

The course I saw started out with just under 50. I happened to be in the area on their first day for other reasons.

The next time I saw them was out on the ground and they had been reduced to about 25. This was about 10-12 days later.

By the time they left the ex AO 10 days later they were reduced to less than 10. I understand this was reduced even further in the following 48hrs.

I watched the "2 weeks in hell" programme last night. From what I can make out IMO the ARW place more emphasis on actual skills like patrolling/nav/tactical than the tasks the Green Berets were giving like the trailer and water barrel tasks.

Saying that - both courses are very similar in that from what I saw - candidates do a lot of tabbing with a lot of kit a lot of the time in the dark.
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• thanks everyone i was hoping that it would follow on in the training until they reach that final moment of being presented with the beret... i have worked with the arw before on the naval side and can see the teamwork ....

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                          thanks everyone i was hoping that it would follow on in the training until they reach that final moment of being presented with the beret... i have worked with the arw before on the naval side and can see the teamwork ....
                          Not everyone who passes selection even gets to the beret stage (which takes another 6 months on the Basic Skills Course/probation).

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          From what I hear, similar, though the numbers are smaller.
                          The ARW learnt much of their art in the US.(Though mostly Fort Benning, Georgia)
                          In the 70s and 80s yes, but they now train mainly with other European forces, from what is out there the forces they train with are usually in the black role but they may not be giving everything away.

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                          I watched the "2 weeks in hell" programme last night. From what I can make out IMO the ARW place more emphasis on actual skills like patrolling/nav/tactical than the tasks the Green Berets were giving like the trailer and water barrel tasks.

Saying that - both courses are very similar in that from what I saw - candidates do a lot of tabbing with a lot of kit a lot of the time in the dark.
                          On the Irish course, I think there is actually some instruction involved as well, there are 8-10 tests they have to pass.

Comment

• There was a good issue of an Cosantoir back in 2008 which was dedicated to all things ARW.Along with last Marchs one.
                            yes they do train with alot of other European forces but the emphasis now is on "green role" training and Ops in accordance wit the ARWs commitments to the EU HHG 20110 and their role as pathfinders for follow on Irish forces overseas.Black role is still pracised to a very high standard but alot of their previous tasks have now been taken over by the ERU.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              On the Irish course, I think there is actually some instruction involved as well, there are 8-10 tests they have to pass.
                              Not to sure on that. Any students that weren't up to a very high level of personal soldiering skills were let known that they were lacking.

Land Navigation, Admin in the field, Tactical and technical skills were expected to be beyond remedial instruction from what I saw.
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Absolutely but there is instruction in some skills (and some of the Wings way of doing things (although that may be only done on Basic Skills Cse)).

Comment

Working...
                                X