Woman makes Irish naval history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman makes Irish naval history

I noticed in a recent "connect" that Sub LtRoberta O Brien,who was Nav Officer during the L.E. Niamhs high profile trip to China,has been promoted to Lt(ns). I believe she is the second female officer to reach this rank,which coincedentally is the rank usually held by a Ships XO. I can only assume that these ladies will hold that position aboard some vessel very soon, drawing us one day closer to the day when a woman will Command an Irish Naval Vessel.
    And the best of luck to them.
    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

How about an all female ship....interesting concept....!

what are the roles that the females usually opt for in the NS...Is there atrend towards any certain role....are women selected for any particular roles above others...........

Any answers would be appreciated.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Orla and Roberta were both promoted at the same time, they were both the first female naval officers commissioned. I think if you follow along their cadet class you will see their army equivalents being promoted to Captain.

Anyway congratulations to both.

Comment

When the first female ratings passed out it was assumed by some that they would mostly become writers or tels. However they almost all became seamen, some were excellent and some were not as well regarded. I suppose the same could be said for a bunch of male O/S's.

I have come across Seamen, tels and mechs. There may be cooks, driversand log.ops but I haven't seen them yet. If they are gone into the trades they may be away doing apprenticeships.

There is only one L/S in the NS after some trasfers to the army. the senior rates mess of a ship remains the last all male bastion in the entire DF. It would remain so for a long time although the NSR will probably see a female PO in the medium term.

Comment

Are you suggesting they wear none?
          I imagine a modification to the Female naval officers uniform would be the case,when this occurs. Its only a matter of time, I imagine..
          Then again,The RDF/FCA which has had female participation for longer,has not many female senior NCOs either. I have yet to see a female Q or cs..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ah! but we're not discussing female senior NCO's, just female senior ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggie
              Ah! but we're not discussing female senior NCO's, just female senior ratings.
              I know this,but the difference is only one rank, and in the case of the NS/NSR, a diferent uniform...

Remember most of the users here wear DPM,not blue,and have no idea what a senior rate,or junior rate is..

Comment

some of us DPM heads do understand the rates, it means nice cosy mess on board for all above leading seaman 2 strips to those in DPM.
                , I believe there is a female CQ in the galway / Anthery area.

Comment

Consider this with one button less(senior rates have 3 rows,officers 4)with appropriate cap badge and rank insignia. The question is WHEN!

Comment

As a side note,I met Lt O Brien in the local petrol station last week. Told her about the site....

Comment

why did you delete my post?
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I heard that there is now a female PO in the NSR, so they must have sorted the uniform issue out.

Comment

I heard horror tales about a cadets cap and a skirt,
                          a kind of
                          'lets see what's in the back of the stores' affair, God help her.
                          No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                          No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Seeing as she is the first Female PO in the entire NS(ever),she has set an interesting task for Clothing Services...

Comment

At least her gear will fit when she gets it !

Comment

Working...
                              X