Woman makes Irish naval history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duffer View Post
    Congratulations to the individual concerned, is the naval glass ceiling smashed????
    You' d have to see if Lt Comdr O'Brien gets her 3rd full bar or even fourth, before being able
    to answer that one.

Congrats....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

There was never a Naval Glass ceiling. She is the First female naval Cadet. She has moved up the ladder at the same speed as a male cadet who joined at the same time.

There is already a thread about this!!!!

Last edited by Goldie fish; 21 October 2008, 04:17.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        There was never a Naval Glass ceiling. She is the First female naval Cadet. She has moved up the ladder at the same speed as a male cadet who joined at the same time.

There is already a thread about this!!!!

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ead.php?t=1972
        What about the other male cadets who joined the same time?

Comment

What about them?

Comment

was just curious cause the poster said it was "A" male cadet....just didn't know whether everybody who started together pretty much got promoted together...was just curious

Comment

This is the case. I was speaking hypothetically. I'm not even sure if there was male cadets in that class, or if there are if they still serve in the NS, or were they Engineering branch, in which case, they wouldnt get to command a ship.

Comment

This is the case. I was speaking hypothetically. I'm not even sure if there was male cadets in that class, or if there are if they still serve in the NS, or were they Engineering branch, in which case, they wouldnt get to command a ship.
                As I thought in that cadet class there were 2 Female cadets, both Executive branch, and one male cadet who was Engineering branch. His career path is different to that of Executive Branch, but he too will be promoted to Lt Cdr shortly, in line with fixed period Promotion.
                The only difference between Male and Female officers in the NS is the shape of their cap. Otherwise, the job they do is exactly the same. However as mentioned earlier, its from here on that things get more competitive, as everyone wants the three full gold bars of commander, and the more scarce positions beyond that.

But that discussion is for a whole other thread.

Comment

I served with both female cadets on emer and they both worked as hard as anyone else on board and deserve promotion as much as any other person serving

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                    There is. She's NSR though.
                    Check the date of the post you quoted.

Comment

Edit. I thought I posted that long ago. I was referring to the NS though. Not the NSR. The NSR don't spend their time lounging around messes.
                      Last edited by Goldie fish; 26 October 2008, 21:10.

Comment

Did I see in one of the Papers that the Skipper of Roisin at the moment is also female? I remember hearing some time back that one of the ships was due to have a female relief skipper, but I assumed it wouldnt be happening until after the above took over L.E. Aisling.

Comment

Did I see in one of the Papers that the Skipper of Roisin at the moment is also female?.
                          This mornings Independent says Orla Gallagher is Captain of LE Niamh.
                          Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

The Irish Examiner has an article today which tells that Lt Cdr O'Brien is to take over as O.C L.E Aisling following a Handover Ceremony in Galway tomorrow, which will be attended by the Naval Service second-in-command, Captain Jim Robinson DSM.(article is not online)

Comment

a big day for her but going off subject slightly all recruiting stopped in navy and will be reviewed in july..

Comment

Same throughout the DF, and the public service, it seems. It'll be fine as long as nobody leaves in the meantime...

Comment

Working...
                                X