Irish man killed in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May he rest in peace.

A tragic loss of a young man's life; I'd love to think he'll be the last Irishman killed out there.
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Rest in Peace
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
      Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
      Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
      Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Rest in Peace.

Warm heartfelt eulogies above.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rip

Comment

Robert transferred to the 25th from the 18th. He was a corporal on my recruit camp with the 25th in Galway in 1999 and a sergeant a couple of years after that. It's hard to believe, a brilliant nco, great craic and an awful sound fella.

May he rest in peace.

Comment

Rip
                "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

I trust this will speak for all of us.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sound's like a hell of a man....

[MOD: signature disabled]
                    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rip
                        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

http://www.mourneobserver.com/160408news.html
                          Last edited by rod and serpent; 9 November 2009, 00:15.

Comment

“Robert wanted to be more of a peacekeeper than a conventional soldier. His ambition was to do far more than what he was doing out there; in his mind he was not there to fight the insurgents but to help the everyday Afghan people.”
                            Sounds like he would have been a great asset on an Irish UN battalion overseas.

RIP
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Rip

Comment

Funeral and Burial

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1124/6news_av.html?2453554,null,230
                                Last edited by rod and serpent; 24 November 2008, 22:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X