Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What do you Think of irish joining the brits

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't mind, wish them the best.

    100 63.29%
  • They are traitors who shouldn't come home.

    10 6.33%
  • Sick of this type of Thread. Move on ffs (added by MOD)

    48 30.38%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 360
  1. #26
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't sit on the fence!


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  2. #27
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the drummie View Post
    ok .........firstly as allready mentioned this has been happening for years and years ! from the time of .............Cromwell ...through the 17 and 1800s when over 45% of the British Army were Irishmen , even through the 70s and 80s when British -Irish relations were at an all time low Guys from all over Ireland including the falls and the Bog side joined the British Army. One point though ..................as allready mentioned somebody said join the Royal Irish . well i would just like to say that there is another Irish regiment that probably the most Irish (in culture and tradition ) of all and that is the Irish Guards !
    It is a common fact in the Army that the Royal Irish Regiment were and still are ""loyalist-Unionist " in its Regimental culture.This may seem strange to some who read this and asume that it would be anyway being in the BA . However as an Irish Regiment they were formed as a anti catholic Regiment for William III and fought at the battle of the Boyne sometime that is never forgotten .
    The Irish Guards on the other hand were formed by Queen Victoria in 1900 in honour of the bravery of Irishmen in the Boar war .........simple you may say ..............................................NO!! !! They take some of their tradition from the Irish regiment of Foot Guards formed 1662 and fought for King James at the Boyne then going into exile in France with Sarsfield ...............fighting at fontenoy and beating their old brother Regiments in the Guards ,something that is also not forgotten ! (check out Kiplings poem the Irish Guards )
    The Irish Guards are unique in many ways in the BA .they are the only Regiment to have their Colours blessed by the Catholic Bishop , they have church parade on tuesdays being given allways by a Cathloic preist which is uniquely posted to the Regiment .
    Many Rebel tunes are used by the regiment as company marches and pipers and drummers tunes . in summary if you want to join a truely Irish Regiment in the British Army you might as well join the best !

    check out
    I voted on the ' lets move on option '. Then I read The Drummies post. So before I start typing, I'm sorry.

    Why would an Irishman want to join a regiment in the British Army because it can claim some 300 year old lineage to fighting for King James at the Boyne ?

    You say that the Royal Irish Regiment (I assume you mean the Regiments to which they trace their lineage) was formed as an 'anti-catholic' regiment to fight at the Boyne, and that is ' never forgotten '. Never forgotten by who , potential Irish Catholic recruits to the British Army ? Dozens of Irish Catholic recruits have done, and continue to serve in the Royal Irish, with no problems. In fact, many have done very, very well for themselves.

    I assume that you have served in, or are serving in the 'Micks', so please correct me if I am wrong in what I am about to say... As far as I am aware (I was never in the Irish Guards, but have a number of friends who were) that the majority of soldiers in that regiment who come from the Island of Ireland, come from the North, and the majority of them are from a Protestant / Unionist background.There was something on the news here recently saying that North Down Borough Council were to give them the freedom of the borough as over 60 soldiers from that area were serving with the Irish Guards.North Down Council area is demographically 80 % Protestant. That said, Irishmen are probably outnumbered now by Englishmen from Liverpool and Manchester, also traditional recruiting areas for the Irish Guards. But, as I say, I'm no expert so I welcome criticism if I am wrong.

    I can understand why (if you are a former or serving Mick) you would have very justifiable pride in your regiment. But to try and sell it as more attractive prospect to potential recruits because it has a Catholic Padre, Catholic Officers, and because its band plays rebel tunes, is, IMHO, wrong. The British Army is a huge organisation. You can do almost anything in it you want - be a surgeon at one end of the scale, or dig graves with the RLC pioneers at the other. Anyone, Irish Catholic or not, joins the British Army for their own reasons be they, adventure, travel, steady pay, pension, comradeship, or to get away from home and experience different cultures. Or simply to experience what it is like to 'close with the enemy'.

    I would encourage anyone who is considering joining to firstly go for it, but listen carefully to what is on offer, what you are qualified to do, what you want to do,pay, where any potential regiments are going over the next few years etc, etc and base your judgements on that.

  3. #28
    Colonel johnny no stars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    53.4°N 6.1°W (Dublin, Ireland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster)
    Posts
    2,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

  4. #29
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny no stars View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
    As would I.

  5. #30
    Captain Fireplace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do mind, wish them the best anyway should have been an option. But that might have drawn people away from the first option.
    You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

  6. #31
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    668
    Post Thanks / Like
    View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
    One of the six voted that way because he had no choice- what a biased poll!
    The poll options are a bit extreme! I don't approve of them but I certainly don't think they should "never come home"!
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

  7. #32
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Bagger


    Regular posters may notice my new smiling helpful approach
    you have Vosper and the other lad to thank for putting me in my place

    Thats a good boy Hedgehog or else you are sickening for something, pity your mate wouldnt try and be the same.
    VosperM1
    ( newbie and possibly will always be )

  8. #33
    Im a ranger!....No really Turncoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Ya but, they have to wear those sh1tty bearskins and Do that ceremonial shite!!!! That wouldn't be fun at all!!!!
    Only If you join Queens company. The other 3 companies dont do any of that nonsense and consequently are actually very "relaxed" about their dress. In fact they actually look shoddier than most normal infantry units a lot of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Donaldson

    He added that many Irish people joined the British army at the period out of a "commitment" to the British crown that embraced a "deep sense of patriotism".

    Mr Donaldson said that while there were advances in recent years in the Republic commemorating the sacrifice and commitment of these soldiers, there was "still some way to go before there is full recognition given to the brave men and women who gave their lives in defence of freedom and democracy not just in the first World War but in subsequent conflicts while serving with the British army".

    He said: "I think President McAleese could be someone who could give a lead in this.

    "Rather than trying to rewrite history what we should be doing is setting history in its proper context and encouraging development of the strong links between the United Kingdom and the Irish Republic and its shared heritage."
    I think Mr Donaldson is also trying to rewrite history or else is blinded by his own beliefs. He will be wanting to take a Union flag down O'connel street next!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Donaldson
    He said there was one case of soldiers from a nationalist part of Belfast marching through the city before heading off to fight in the first World War by a band playing The Wearing of the Green, A Nation Once Again and Rule Britannia.
    I dont like the way this is put across as an unusual incident and a case of loyalty to the crown on the part of volunteers from nationalist backgrounds.
    Irish units still do similar gestures with the music they play, that way noone gets offended with the music that is played. It is normal enough to hear the sash followed by the wearing of the green played in the same set!
    Last edited by Turncoat; 10th January 2009 at 22:04.
    Faugh A Ballagh

  9. #34
    Moderated Komsomol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enhancing the Catholic/Nationalist background of the Irish Guards would definatly have an impact in the decision factor of potential irish recruits.

    Its only natural for potential irish recruits to be concerned about the stigma of joining the british army.

    But hey alot has changed and it hasn't stopped alot of people, yet there is still a stigma associated with it especially in border areas and parts of northern ireland. Personally if i was to join, most of my friends and definatly my family would be very supportive, but the stigma still exists and you'd be reminded of it constantly, probably in joke form without any real malice.

    That stigma shouldn't be ignored and because of the history and culture of the irish guards i feel would be a great influence in the overall decision of potential irish recruits. (but if its the only reason someone wants to join the guards then they're really really in it for the wrong reasons, i agree on that)

  10. #35
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VosperM1 View Post
    Thats a good boy Hedgehog or else you are sickening for something, pity your mate wouldnt try and be the same.
    VosperM1
    ( newbie and possibly will always be )
    DOnt be an arse hole

    my patience and new years resoloution can only go so far

    now for the good of us all leave me alone
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  11. #36
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    DOnt be an arse hole

    my patience and new years resoloution can only go so far

    now for the good of us all leave me alone


    Ah back to normal eh!

  12. #37
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VosperM1 View Post
    Ah back to normal eh!
    Mirror mirror etc...:wink:


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  13. #38
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." Boswell
    I have a great deal of respect for anyone who ever served or has an intention of serving

    well done to them

    I would have sooooooooooo much respect for Vosper if

    he joined the foreign legion
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  14. #39
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny no stars View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
    im the 7th

  15. #40
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    1,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2times View Post
    im the 7th
    Do you actually hold the view that they shouldn't come home or did you say that because it was the only answer like that available.


    Would you think the same thing if someone joined the Armed forces of another country, or is it just the BAF???
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

    Please PM me to correct me.

    But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

    I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

  16. #41
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I hold the opinion that they shouldn't come home, not while serving under the crown anyway.

    and no, i dont give a damn about any other army but i have my own personal moral objection against the support of the army and government that still occupies the country I was born and reared in with her own people.

    The again, It's my own opinion, and of course im entitled to it.

  17. #42
    Searcher :) Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Dún Laoghaire
    Posts
    3,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'm going to be sick.

  18. #43
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2times View Post
    No I hold the opinion that they shouldn't come home, not while serving under the crown anyway.

    and no, i dont give a damn about any other army but i have my own personal moral objection against the support of the army and government that still occupies the country I was born and reared in with her own people.

    The again, It's my own opinion, and of course im entitled to it.
    And so it began

    mate your on the wrong web site

    you should be on

    www.stuckinthe70's.com

    or http://www.armchairrepublicans/and/o...rted/clowns.eu
    Last edited by hedgehog; 12th January 2009 at 15:22.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  19. #44
    Wacky Waver!!!! Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny no stars View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
    I have a friend who is very republican in his views on anything politics wise. In fact I have a few but I happened to talk to this guy about this issue. The way he saw it was that in joining the Brit forces when Irish, you where turning gun's on your own people. He saw it as turning your back on your own people and supporting an army that for years had put down Irish people.
    The issue really seems to be how long it takes before your willing to forgive and forget. In a strange way I kinda respected his views as he seemed to have reason for his beliefs. Too many people take the Anti-Brit line without knowing a damn thing about the history or the Brit Army itself. It also had a lot to do with his family. To put it into perspective on how strongly republican this family was, he told me one member of the family had joined the BA years ago. None of the rest of the family have talked to that family member since. I found that quite sad but that's the way the family is.
    He knows nothing about my time in the TA, as I figured that would probably make things uncomfortable between both of us. But it was interesting to hear his viewpoint.
    Last edited by Goose; 12th January 2009 at 15:24.

  20. #45
    Colonel pmtts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nowhereshire
    Posts
    2,366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    And so it began

    mate your on the wrong web site

    you should be on

    www.stuckinthe70's.com

    or http://www.armchairrepublicans/and/o...rted/clowns.eu

    Hear hear!

  21. #46
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    1,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2times View Post
    No I hold the opinion that they shouldn't come home, not while serving under the crown anyway.

    and no, i dont give a damn about any other army but i have my own personal moral objection against the support of the army and government that still occupies the country I was born and reared in with her own people.

    The again, It's my own opinion, and of course im entitled to it.
    That is your opinion, and while you are entitled to it, I must point out, that technically, they occupy and control a part of the Island you were born on, assuming you are from the South here, they do not occupy your country, technically of course.


    I will point out though, as some of you know my plans, I Love Ireland, but it seems Ireland don't love me so much, therefore my wares will be sold to our neighbours. If I can!!! And while I am serving, I will come home, quite often, I will meet up with friends, some of whom are extremely Anti-British, but will not kill our friendship, I hope, because I am paid by a different country.

    So, J2T, I respect your right to opinion, but I really think it is a load of Kack. If you really wanna go on about history, remember they were invited over, and just decided to stay longer than we wanted!!!
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

    Please PM me to correct me.

    But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

    I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

  22. #47
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    And so it began

    mate your on the wrong web site

    you should be on

    www.stuckinthe70's.com

    or http://www.armchairrepublicans/and/o...rted/clowns.eu

    Im clearly not. Im here for a reason

    I could say that you must be on the 'www.turncoat.com' website or the 'www.forgetwhathappenedinthelast800years.com' website?

    Im not here to provoke, or to start a political discussion, I merely gave my views, so keep your provocitive comments to yourself. My brother is an officer in the Irish Army, but he is also a republican, so he cant have the same views as me becuase he serves down south? thats what it seems your saying. And no, im not an 'armchair republican' so keep it shut.

    Thought you were more decent than that Hedgehog. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

  23. #48
    Captain Fireplace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    If you really wanna go on about history, remember they were invited over, and just decided to stay longer than we wanted!!!
    The British Army however comes from the New Model Army. No invitations were sent to their leader. By proper Irishmen that is.
    You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

  24. #49
    Recruit BrenGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well here goes my first post to a very interesting site. I was born and raised in London , both my parents are Irish and myself and my brothers and sisters all consider themselves Irish.

    I joined the RAF many moons ago when you could expect a bit of stick for being Irish. With my Irish name it was not something that I could ever avoid confronting even if I had wanted to. Given the relatively tough upbringing in my family, being called paddy as a derogatory term by some tit was not something that I would ever let pass without taking some action. In recruit training, when nick names are established and stick, I had my first incident when I advised one or two that my name was Brendan and they could call me Bren, cnut or wanker but they couldn't call me paddy. As the warning didn't work, what followed involved violence which I later learnt was a good military training aid!! I never had to do this much in my 8 years in the RAF as I think people got the message and probably though I was a bit of a nut.

    The fact is that along with people who were born in Ireland, there are also many people like me who serve or have served in one of the 3 British armed forces.

  25. #50
    Commander in Chief Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2times View Post
    No I hold the opinion that they shouldn't come home, not while serving under the crown anyway.

    and no, i dont give a damn about any other army but i have my own personal moral objection against the support of the army and government that still occupies the country I was born and reared in with her own people.

    The again, It's my own opinion, and of course im entitled to it.
    I have personal moral (and sometimes violent) objections to people who spout this shite.

    You might recall we had a referendum about 10 years ago (80% in favour) where we recanted all claims over Northern Ireland.
    Last edited by Bravo20; 12th January 2009 at 18:15.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •