Le Deirdre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Deirdre

Does anyone remember or know my brother Joey Kennedy who served on the Deirdre around 1985/1989?
    He went missing and was never found.Would be great to hear from any of his old buddies.

Mags (sister)

Hey Mags,

So sorry to hear about your brother. The name rings a bell ok, albeit vaguely, unfortunatey age has dimmed my memory. Do you have a photo from around that time? Are there any more details you can provide, was he a Mech, Seaman, Tel...

Good luck with the search,

Doc

Comment

Hi Doc,

He was a sea man from Limerick. No photos I'm afraid.
      Had just returned to Cobh after months at sea on the Deirdre, stormy night and was presumed drowned.This was around 1989.

He was very popular with his team mates.I live in London now and came accross this web site and wondered if any of his old friends were members.

Ta for the reply
      Mags

Comment

Hi Mags,

Sorry to hear about Joey. I hope some of his friends will pop in to share some memories with you. Best of luck with your enquiry.

T.P.

Comment

Thanks TP, long shot but who knows ...

Comment

Hi Mags,at the moment I think he was a mech,but memory not the may west,I will make a few phone calls and see if anyone has any photos or anything thatmay jog the memory.

Comment

Originally posted by cha the tel View Post
              Hi Mags,at the moment I think he was a mech,but memory not the may west,I will make a few phone calls and see if anyone has any photos or anything thatmay jog the memory.
              a seaman i think will have to think about if i knew him as i remember when he went missing

Comment

Hi, I remember Joe very well indeed. I was on Deirdre with him and he was a very popular lad all right. A seaman and always had a smile and a joke going on. I think he was buddies with a guy called Tom Falvey from around the same area. Joe was a lovely young fella and we were all devastated when he went missing. I am so sorry for your family's loss but rest assured that all of us who knew Joe remember him very fondly.

Also around the same time, if I recall properly, that another good friend of mine also from Deirdre days went missing too. Darren Martyn from Dublin. Such a shame, another lovely young lad.

Comment

Hi Mags, sorry about your brother
                  If he joined up in 1985 , then HPT & Marloy could be your best bet as if I am not mistaken they both joined up around that time and could have been in recuits with him.
                  Again sorry for your loss
                  All the best with your search
                  What do you mean abandon ship
                  Are they taking requests?

Comment

Sorry but to the best of my memory he wasn't part of the four classes of recruits that passed out in early 86 that enlisted in 1985.

I rememeber the incident, I believe he was lost in the harbour from the Launch one night on a bad crossing.

He was possibly from the 1984 intake but can't confirm.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                      Does anyone remember or know my brother Joey Kennedy who served on the Deirdre around 1985/1989?
                      He went missing and was never found.Would be great to hear from any of his old buddies.

Mags (sister)
                      hi there

i remember joey well he came out to eithne on a seamanship coarse in around 87/88 for 6 weekswhen we got caught in a hurricane off donegal. a very nice bloke and a good friend very funny and eager

Comment

Would have enlisted in that case with Paul Kellet and Eddie Mulligan etc in early '87 Paul is quite high profile and Eddie has a business site, might be worth looking up these people for more details.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

hello mags..

i remember joey really well. we were on deirdre together when he went missing. really sound bloke, great sense of humour, always joking around. the kind of fella that made sea time go that bit faster..
                          rest assured he's not forgotten...
                          i know a good few of the lads that joey came in with... i could try and get in contact with them if you like....

Comment

Originally posted by noeley View Post
                            hello mags..

i remember joey really well. we were on deirdre together when he went missing. really sound bloke, great sense of humour, always joking around. the kind of fella that made sea time go that bit faster..
                            rest assured he's not forgotten...
                            i know a good few of the lads that joey came in with... i could try and get in contact with them if you like....
                            Hi Noeley
                            Fantastic news! Its great to know he was so popular! He was also a fantastic brother. Our mother never got over his disappearance and to this day still awaits a "mothers day card" from him.
                            The details of the disappearance are very vague and any info would be much apprecaited.
                            many thanksagain for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              Would have enlisted in that case with Paul Kellet and Eddie Mulligan etc in early '87 Paul is quite high profile and Eddie has a business site, might be worth looking up these people for more details.
                              Will do! Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X