No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going for rural areas, the press release says units in barracks will be admin'ed by PDF units.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      I'm going for rural areas, the press release says units in barracks will be admin'ed by PDF units.
      Makes a certain amount of sense alright...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Some drop from 300 odd Cadre alright.... the next question is - how/where are these Cadre staff going to be deployed ?
        And while we're at it.... will finally the suggestion someone made yonks ago come to pass ?
        i.e; that Cadre positions would be on a rotational basis (go to position for a fixed term, then return to parent unit)
        No new cadre will be taken on.You MAY have a situation where existing cadre in manned Bks cease to be "cadre" and RTU to their parent unit but are then "detached" to their old RDF units.Their is also already the rumblings of dissent amongst us PDF about having to give up our "off duty" time to train the RDF when we wont be getting anything extra for it.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
          No new cadre will be taken on
          No, I got that alright, just curious as to how the remainder will be deployed

Originally posted by apod
          Their is also already the rumblings of dissent amongst us PDF about having to give up our "off duty" time to train the RDF when we wont be getting anything extra for it....
          This, from what I remember, was also an issue when Integration tried to get fully off the ground, but failed.... define what you mean by "off duty time" - do you mean
          coming in on a training night in the evening, or for weekends/field days, or all of the above ?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• The thing is you would not need to give up your off duty time to train the RDF, the purpose of the cadre is to assist in the administration of the unit. RDF are perfectly capable of training themselves. All that needs to be done is to trust the RDF and you will not have to work any extra.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
              RDF are perfectly capable of training themselves. All that needs to be done is to trust the RDF and you will not have to work any extra.

It's thinking like that that makes the RDFTA and BTC mini promotion fasttrack empires get bigger, there's no reason PDF instructors should be sidelined for part timers to instruct, re. PDF whinging about weekends...DIL.
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                re. PDF whinging about weekends...DIL.
                yes but they have "real jobs" to do as well. I have been in several appointments where you were so busy you could not afford to take a day off just cos you were working the weekend, if fact I often had to request Saturday duties so that I would not miss 2 days work and often ended the year with all bar a half a dozen day's leave left

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                  yes but they have "real jobs" to do as well.
                  See about your "real job" if you get a job in the real world after your pension is all filled up.

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                  I have been in several appointments where you were so busy you could not afford to take a day off just cos you were working the weekend, if fact I often had to request Saturday duties so that I would not miss 2 days work and often ended the year with all bar a half a dozen day's leave left
                  This situation does not occur across the board in the DF.
                  Last edited by The real Jack; 22 September 2012, 20:17.

Comment

• TRJ you have a mighty big chip on your shoulder about us PDF. My "real job" has me working the hours of 0830-1630 every "normal" day.if i do a regimental duty during that week that 24 hours,granted i get a rest day,add in a CIT which has longer hours again(not going into specifics dont ask) my working week can be fairly long indeed.No i have a young family.I like to see them sometimes.You want me to come into work at night after i have done my day job oh and also work weekends?
                    No worries.
                    Pay me.
                    Simple as.
                    Make it worth my while to listen to my wife kicking my ass for not seeing my kids,cutting the lawns or painting the shed etc etc.

I trained the integration back in '07 and '08. One August i worked three weekends straight with weekday working in between.That was down to a regimental duty one weekend ,a full integration training weekend the next and a weapons display the following sunday.Not good when you are trying to keep her indoors happy i can tell you!
                    So TRJ get off you high horse.My "real job" has set hours unless we are called out or on Ops in which case we suck it up.Duties we take as part of the job.Anything else is extra.Extra work = extra pay in my book.
                    Oh and on that their probably wont be any extra training allowance for those of us who get caught to train the RDF "in addition" to our other responsibilities."Cost increasing" measures wont get past the DoF.
                    And BTW you would "whinge" about your weekends too in you didn't get paid to work them.
                    Last edited by apod; 22 September 2012, 20:32.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

See about your "real job" if you get a job in the real world after your pension is all filled up.

This situation does not occur across the board in the DF.
                      What has that got to do with anything? I could have left a few years ago with my pension, but I chose to stay as I actually like my career in the DF. I do not view it as something to do for a few years til I can afford to **** off like some do!

OK granted the example I gave does not apply to every soldier across the board but it occurs for FAR more than get the credit for! As APOD says the DF is not the 0900-1630 job that the private sector has made it out to be. They do not see the lads on the beat, the CITs that start and end at ungodly hours, the weeks and weeks of exercises that we all do unpaid every year. I would put good money on it that I will have done more hours this year in my job than the average civvi will do.
                      Last edited by midnight oil; 22 September 2012, 20:49. Reason: typos

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        TRJ you have a mighty big chip on your shoulder about us PDF. My "real job" has me working the hours of 0830-1630 every "normal" day.if i do a regimental duty during that week that 24 hours,granted i get a rest day,add in a CIT which has longer hours again(not going into specifics dont ask) my working week can be fairly long indeed.No i have a young family.I like to see them sometimes.You want me to come into work at night after i have done my day job oh and also work weekends?
                        How many "real jobs" enable you to go boxing training for a few hours or go to the gym instead of actually working?

If you had to work at the weekend you should get a day in lieu, work evenings you should get a few hours in lieu. A chip on my shoulder? I haven't noticed it but seeing how little work actually gets done in barracks kinda makes it hard for me to believe the Hard working sob story that gets trotted out regularly.

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        I trained the integration back in '07 and '08. One August i worked three weekends straight with weekday working in between.That was down to a regimental duty one weekend ,a full integration training weekend the next and a weapons display the following sunday.Not good when you are trying to keep her indoors happy i can tell you!
                        Did you accrue DIL for this august? There's more bods per barracks now than in 07-08 so you've less duties.

So TRJ get off you high horse.My "real job" has set hours unless we are called out or on Ops in which case we suck it up.Duties we take as part of the job.Anything else is extra.Extra work = extra pay in my book..
                        The DF is not the only example of people in the public sector being forced into extra hours with no remuneration.

Oh and on that their probably wont be any extra training allowance for those of us who get caught to train the RDF "in addition" to our other responsibilities."
                        Why should there be? Are you not already in receipt of a instructors allowance? Is instructing the same shit to a lower level of complexity somehow more difficult?

And BTW you would "whinge" about your weekends too in you didn't get paid to work them.
                        Yes of course I would but I there is the DIL process, people working nights have a far worse time.

Comment

Why should there be? Are you not already in receipt of a instructors allowance? Is instructing the same shit to a lower level of complexity somehow more difficult?
                          The amount of people in receipt of instructors allowance is tiny! Just because you are qualified to instruct does not mean you can get instructors allowance.

Comment

• See about your "real job" if you get a job in the real world after your pension is all filled up.
                            Play the ball and not the man. The arse dropped out of the FCA allowance there 2 years ago when they changed it ( especially for officers ) it is no sinecure especially with the numbers. I can't see why a Pte is *required* as cadre though, unless he has a 154. Also I can't see why cadre shouldn't rotate, it should not be a permanent position.
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

verb (used without object)
                              9. to act or serve as a soldier.
                              10. Informal . to loaf while pretending to work; malinger: He was soldiering on the job.

Bit of Humour folks. Relax!
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• I was on a course round integration time, that had PDF instructors, every weekend. They got TOIL for their efforts. Is this not still the case?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X