The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    Oh and both the west and east are gone.Its North and south now regarding Brigades.
    1 Bde and 2 Bde.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Have those Brigades officially stood up yet ?
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        The reserve could consist of a few companies across the country if it survives disbandment and then just strangle it with lack of funding.....
        nothing wrong with having a small well trained well resourced (and usable).

Originally posted by Saab View Post
        YOu notice the Dail answer refers to the ceiling and not the future maintained strength?

Yeah it would be beyond the capabilities for an RDF man to send an email, pick up the phone or even call into the barracks
        And yet they are recruiting to that level.
        Originally posted by ropebag View Post
        w?
        wo?
        wor?
        work?

thats it, i did wonder what members of the RDF were doing all day...
        One of the pluses cadre have is they will know the people to ask (personally), can chat at the tea break, know who owes them a favour.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          ...One of the pluses cadre have is they will know the people to ask (personally), can chat at the tea break, know who owes them a favour.
          absolutely, if the administration of the Army works 9-5, and if you want anything from the administration of the Army - training areas, transport, favours etc.. then you need to be able to talk to them between 9-5.

work, as many reservists have noticed, sometimes places something of a barrier to nipping down to a barracks that may be an hours drive away for a begging session.

i find it more than a little startling/depressing that some people haven't quite grasped that...

Comment

• absolutely, if the administration of the Army works 9-5, and if you want anything from the administration of the Army - training areas, transport, favours etc.. then you need to be able to talk to them between 9-5.

work, as many reservists have noticed, sometimes places something of a barrier to nipping down to a barracks that may be an hours drive away for a begging session.

i find it more than a little startling/depressing that some people haven't quite grasped that..
            Two ways of looking at it, the RDF guy is not career driven and as such probably doesn't give a shit about whose patch he pisses in and will keep pissing until he gets the result required of him so the options are

(a) give him what he wants promptly and hope he fcuks off for another twelve months.

If your life is based around tea and biccies at 10.30 and out the gate at 5pm, the last thing you need is some little green hatted upstart raining on your parade and making a fcuk out your biological clock by having every cnut and his mother investigating why Sgt. S , Andbag is getting his toys.

(b) Ignore him at your peril as he's going to go over your head until he gets what he needs.

Personally I'd be looking at option b.

the other down side from a PDF side is when some one gets the inside track and decides there are ways and means the armies carefully thought plans about slowing down the entire armies pace to suit their own lifestyle, and promptly goes abput ruining your life by bringing it to some higher ups attention, again cos you have his toys.

Give him the kit rapidly and let him get on with it.

The army is built on systems that work for the army and may not be completely evident to those who do not do the job full time.They maybe a little archaic , but they have reason and progress is never instant, however that system has very few tolerance limits built in and all it will take is a visit from the controller and auditor general or some such because of a complaint made by some part timer who can't see beyond the end of his part time desk.

Double edged sword really.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• This is very true. One of the oldest proverbs .. if its stupid and it works... it's not stupid.

BUT I am driven demented by people who do not take the time or plain bother their holes to actually look up the regulations, SOPs, DFRs, Admin Instructions in plenty of time to do whatever they want to do ( hand up - was a tad guilty of this myself last week ! )
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                absolutely, if the administration of the Army works 9-5, and if you want anything from the administration of the Army - training areas, transport, favours etc.. then you need to be able to talk to them between 9-5.

i find it more than a little startling/depressing that some people haven't quite grasped that...
                Agree 100%. Our unit is in the position where luckily, we have some personnel who CAN nip in Bks during the week,
                to get the ball rolling (e.g; takes a lot of organising to get Tpt for Bde assessments), am thinking of a couple of
                individuals in particular. But that would be in the minority, TBH, across the board...
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                  w?
                  wo?
                  wor?
                  work?

thats it, i did wonder what members of the RDF were doing all day...
                  Hmmmm. Wasn't quite sure where you were going with this.

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  Agree 100%. Our unit is in the position where luckily, we have some personnel who CAN nip in Bks during the week,
                  to get the ball rolling (e.g; takes a lot of organising to get Tpt for Bde assessments), am thinking of a couple of
                  individuals in particular. But that would be in the minority, TBH, across the board...
                  Thats just so amazing TD.
                  SO its not impossible!!!

Or do none of those guys think of the impossiblness of their actions!!!
                  Do they just pick up their phones and turn on computers in the hope of an answer!!!!

Ropebag we have one RDF officer and NCO that seems to have little problem in communicating by phone and email and getting things done.
                  Cadre is very sparce at the moment so if they didn't we would get nothing.
                  It's amazing how an introduction to the right guy and obtaining the mobile number of a certain officer cut all the bull.

Just because you can't do it and no one else wants to does not mean it can't be done.

But of course if you keep the attitude that someone else has to be there to hold your hand then nothing will ever change.

Comment

• Sometimes an email or phone call will not suffice, eg signature/log onto PMS/moving equipment from one stores to another (both physically and on IMS)

Comment

• I know that Dev but contary to Ropebags assertion that I must be thick to suggest it, some people are actualy doing it.

I admit these are in they minority but they are the ones making things happen unlike those here hat whinge that the cadre do nothing but then say we can't do anything withot them.

People can't have it both ways.

Read back over this thread and see just how many times it comes up!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
                        I know that Dev but contary to Ropebags assertion that I must be thick to suggest it, some people are actualy doing it.

I admit these are in they minority but they are the ones making things happen unlike those here hat whinge that the cadre do nothing but then say we can't do anything withot them.

People can't have it both ways.

Read back over this thread and see just how many times it comes up!!
                        If a small CIS Company can get bodies in to signout, transfer, check and certify equipment there is no reason why the bigger units cant supply bodies. Im not sure about minority i think it happens more often than people think.
                        Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                        Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
                          ...some...
                          you cannot have a uniformly trained reserve when some units are able to have access to the administration of the wider Army and some do not.

the only people that matter, really, in terms of being able to scrounge resources from the PDF are the units OC, Training Officer, 2IC, Pln/Troop Cdrs, and SNCO's. if those people do not have the ability, because of the nature of their work, to have phone/face-to-face conversations with the PDF during the working day then the unit will not have the same access to training/logistic resources as the unit down the road who's OC happens to work next to his local PDF unit and can nip out whenever he wants. it will therefore have fewer, and less interesting exercises, it will have fewer and less interesting guest instructors/lecturers, and it have less stuff to play with.

for all your talk of professionalising the RDF and getting it to pull its socks up, you seem to think that this can be achieved with a completely haphazard liason system. it can't.

Comment

• Ropebag you have just given justification for canning units.
                            Can any unit that are not properly trained or can't train?

IF the people who take on the responsibility of doing the job then they should move over for those that can.

As I said My unit does it.
                            TD says his unit does it.
                            Now Cryos says not only does his unit do it but he believes others do too.

Now stop whinging and finging excuses why you can't do it.

What ever happened to "adapt and over come"?
                            Last edited by Saab; 26 September 2012, 22:42.

Comment

• What if an event is coming up and no one can in during the PDF working day?

What about getting access to your office that you may/may not be allowed draw the keys to, access to post (in a timely manner).....

Once the RDF have got to a good level, reduce the cadre and in addition until you have 1 sgt in HQ Coy.

Comment

• there is always problems.

But I don't think too many activities are arranged a a weeks notice. what with permissions do do what ever and requisitions etc, etc..................

But what would i know.

Comment

Working...
                                X