The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

There was no psyometric testing (not sure if was/still done for RDF)

)
    No psychometric testing for the RDF at the moment. The interview must be catching those issues!

Comment

• The financial aspect is vastly less attractive than it was. especially for summer students. The drinking culture is gone as well - IMHO too far in the opposite direction - much RDF camaraderie has been lost but I am conscious this will provoke some discussion.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        You post like that and don't expect to be called on it ? Where are you getting your 26 from ? you are way off the actual .

Did you even read what was written.
        You have got to be kidding me....FFS, did YOU read what was written???? I got the figure from B20's post which was a future possible figure:

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
        The establishment for Lts in the AR is 110, based on current trends there will 26 left in less than 2 years.
        I know I am way off actual because the figure of 26 is a FUTURE possible figure - I was RESPONDING to B20s figure & post who provided the figure that I was responding to.
        FFS, read the posts yourself, keep up with the conversation and stop attacking people.
        Last edited by Poiuyt; 10 September 2018, 16:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          The financial aspect is vastly less attractive than it was. especially for summer students. The drinking culture is gone as well - IMHO too far in the opposite direction - much RDF camaraderie has been lost but I am conscious this will provoke some discussion.
          It is also generational and military (not just Irish)

I’ll send you a leadership case study, the 00s are much more likely to be engaging each other’s via an app

Comment

The big hold failure rates in the past were audiograms, sometimes height and the occasional colour blindness. My sub-unit didn’t get too many failures of s/clearance (it just took ages)
            I discovered on an ex that one of our new 2*'s was deaf (two hearing aids under her hair. Also, that she had stuffed her kidney pouches full of intimate female underwear ). Add her to the parade of invalides of various colours who somehow got in, as well as that infamous intake from Rehab, who each seemed to have multiple individual health issues.

We also had a number of really good people caught by undiagnosed diabetes when going for the PDF. Quite a number of hard workers with the right mental attitude had other, lesser ailments or physical standards disqualify them here, but then the British Army were somehow more than happy to take them.
            Last edited by DaithiDub; 25 September 2018, 18:18.

Comment

• I often wonder how many people the Army lose at medicals for colour vision, without any medical or physiological reason how it would impact on service. Granted the NS and AC have scientific reasons for doing so, but unless you are doing the job of electronic or electrical engineer how would it restrict your army service?
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaithiDub View Post
                I discovered on an ex that one of our new 2*'s was deaf (two hearing aids under her hair. Also, that she had stuffed her kidney pouches full of intimate female underwear ). Add her to the parade of invalides of various colours who somehow got in, as well as that infamous intake from Rehab, who each seemed to have multiple individual health issues.

We also had a number of really good people caught by undiagnosed diabetes when going for the PDF. Quite a number of hard workers with the right mental attitude had other, lesser ailments or physical

standards disqualify them here, but then the British Army were somehow more than happy to take them.
                Wtf!!!

Recently?

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                  I often wonder how many people the Army lose at medicals for colour vision, without any medical or physiological reason how it would impact on service. Granted the NS and AC have scientific reasons for doing so, but unless you are doing the job of electronic or electrical engineer how would it restrict your army service?
                  Like being able to give the correct colour in a GRIT or firing at the correct target?

Comment

• It wouldn't be an issue.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Did nearly everyone who turned up to the barrack's gate get in? The imposition of proper standards, medicals, etc could explain the lack of joiners as much as anything.
                      Prior to the hearing tests it was pretty unbelievable at times, but in Clonmel the medicals were performed by a civvie quack under contract to the army on a per capita basis.... so basically if you had a pulse you were in and it was left up to the NCOs to weed out those who should never have been in .

There were exceptions, people who wouldn't readily have been accepted for the PDF because of things like diabetes who were outstanding soldiers. We had a guy who went for the PDF who was turned down because he had a heart murmur, appealed it saying he had been passed fit by the FCA and won his case, later commissioned and could even be still serving, a good officer.

A couple of other horror stories, to even include myself, who should never have been allowed to enlist.
                      In all honest the DoD got away with murder.
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 26 September 2018, 16:12.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Wtf!!!

Recently?
                        Thankfully not. This was 'fadó, fadó'... but still

Comment

• The unfortunate thing is the DF now needs the RDF more than ever, for various reasons, the RDF don’t have the bodies

Comment

• for various reasons, the RDF don’t have the bodies
                            The reasons we've called out here all the time ?
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• The PDF are even looking for RDF instructors for relatively run of the mill courses

Comment

The PDF are even looking for RDF instructors for relatively run of the mill courses
                                What courses?

Comment

Working...
                                X