No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think there is space and a role for everyone who is willing to makes some kind of commitment. You are going to have high tempo requirements (recruits, courses etc.) and you will need people at all ranks who can commit to the weekly and monthly parading requirements. Then you have lower tempo requirements such as to provide support (driving, security, logs) for monthly field days/overnights. This could be supported by a rota of people who can only make a monthly or even a bi-monthly commitment.

Through out your career you will have different levels of availability and if you have stepped up for the high tempo stuff for a number of years you should be allowed step back to low tempo stuff when you need to. The issue is around reliability. If you commit to attending something then you do so.

Then there is the rank issue. Certain ranks do require regular attendance, namely the CS & CQMS and the Coy Comdr and 2IC. If these positions are being held irregular attenders for a significant period of time then someone else is doing their job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
      I think there is space and a role for everyone who is willing to makes some kind of commitment. You are going to have high tempo requirements (recruits, courses etc.) and you will need people at all ranks who can commit to the weekly and monthly parading requirements. Then you have lower tempo requirements such as to provide support (driving, security, logs) for monthly field days/overnights. This could be supported by a rota of people who can only make a monthly or even a bi-monthly commitment.

Through out your career you will have different levels of availability and if you have stepped up for the high tempo stuff for a number of years you should be allowed step back to low tempo stuff when you need to. The issue is around reliability. If you commit to attending something then you do so.

Then there is the rank issue. Certain ranks do require regular attendance, namely the CS & CQMS and the Coy Comdr and 2IC. If these positions are being held irregular attenders for a significant period of time then someone else is doing their job.
      I think the DF Res are at a point if they want to extract different levels of commitment from individuals, payment needs to be introduced along the lines of what the retained fire service had . Where you get a bounty if you meet a certain level of commitment on a quarterly basis and that commitment had to be productive.

The holding of certain ranks or posts does need to be based on availability and should possibly rotate through people to ensure that the role is filled at all times while not always by the one person.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• vailability and should possibly rotate through people to ensure that the role is filled at all times while not always by the one person.
        Not a bad point, requirement for a coy comd or 2IC had to have done a stint in the role for 6 months prior while the post was being interviewed.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          I think the DF Res are at a point if they want to extract different levels of commitment from individuals, payment needs to be introduced along the lines of what the retained fire service had . Where you get a bounty if you meet a certain level of commitment on a quarterly basis and that commitment had to be productive.
          They used to. That was how the grat was structured.

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          The holding of certain ranks or posts does need to be based on availability and should possibly rotate through people to ensure that the role is filled at all times while not always by the one person.
          I would absolutely agree with this. I do think that reserve officers should be rotated through appointments every 3 or 4 years similar to their PDF counterparts.

Comment

I would absolutely agree with this. I do think that reserve officers should be rotated through appointments every 3 or 4 years similar to their PDF counterparts.
            Oh God no, please no. 6+ years minimum. From what I have seen, Projects get started and then dumped as people change. And excellent units get wiped out by incompetent officers who move on to their next target.
            Sounds great for spreading the knowledge but spreading the disease of poor officers causes far more damage than benefits.
            Last edited by Poiuyt; 4 April 2019, 18:11.

Comment

• Am I the only one who thinks that even still people cant get it right - having the 90th anniversary ceremony on a Tuesday afternoon ( why yes we can all take time off work to be there fk sake )
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                Am I the only one who thinks that even still people cant get it right - having the 90th anniversary ceremony on a Tuesday afternoon ( why yes we can all take time off work to be there fk sake )
                Honestly, no comment on this one....

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that even still people cant get it right - having the 90th anniversary ceremony on a Tuesday afternoon ( why yes we can all take time off work to be there fk sake )
                  Disliked in error

I’m not sure of the reason but it could be at request of NMI Collins Bks, could be the Minister’s diary etc

Comment

Ya gonna be there, then?
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• And the invite to attend only goes out the week before.

Comment

And the invite to attend only goes out the week before.
                        To be fair, has this not been known about since at least the start of February. That's when first I hear about it. I didn't hear any unofficial confirmation until last week and have heard nothing official yet.

Comment

• Yes, but apparently you can't just rock up to the event, you need to RSVP to ceremonial by tomorrow.

Comment

• Also you must have access to SD1s..

Comment

• Originally posted by Exile View Post
                              Also you must have access to SD1s..
                              & Greatcoats
                              Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayern Fan View Post
                                & Greatcoats
                                Perhaps I'm walking myself into it but really? Unable to attend but I'd only heard SD1s.

Comment

Working...
                                X