The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What he said was - and this is important

Defence Forces personnel have participated, as recently as last November, in Nato’s flagship cyberdefence exercise in Tartu, Estonia.

According to the organisers, Co-operative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence, “the exercise aims to enhance co-ordination and collaboration between Nato and Allies, strengthen the ability to protect alliance cyberspace and conduct military operations in the cyberdomain”.

Mellett says the exercises “are hugely successful, often driven by the competence that comes in with our reservists and I see opportunities to build further on that and that is one of my priorities for this year”.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
      He mentions a very small subset of reservists in the cyber security are though. Not too substantial.
      A very small group of reservists

Punching above their weight and providing capabilities the PDF don’t have

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        A very small group of reservists

Punching above their weight and providing capabilities the PDF don’t have
        To clarify, I'm not referring to that group of reservists or their contribution as being insubstantial. I mean the COS mentioned the reserves in only a very limited manner overall.

Comment

• Dear RDFRA members,
          RDF recruitment (for Army Reserve and Naval Service Reserve) is now live until 30 April 2019, with applications being accepted online at http://military.ie/en/careers/current-competitions/
          Applicants for Athlone, Cork city, Curragh Camp and Dublin city can select from the various corps in each location.

Comment

• If the RDF is to exist in 3-5 years we really need to have at least 300 successfully enlist this year

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              If the RDF is to exist in 3-5 years we really need to have at least 300 successfully enlist this year
              What are the most recent RDF total and effective numbers?
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                What are the most recent RDF total and effective numbers?
                Effective strength is in the region of 1300-1400

Comment

• The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 January 2019, is set out below:

Service Total Effective Personnel
                  Army Reserve 1659
                  Naval Reserve 132
                  Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayern Fan View Post
                    The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 January 2019, is set out below:

Army Reserve 1659
                    Naval Reserve 132
                    And how many of this number are really effective as in meeting all KPIs, regularly turning up to parade nights, etc....

Comment

• that fraction has gotten a lot better and I would hazard that we are at are about US/UK levels as actuals/strength for bums on seats. Not for strength/establishment though !

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayern Fan View Post
                        The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 January 2019, is set out below:

Army Reserve 1659
                        Naval Reserve 132
                        is that the effective strength or establishment?
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• That is effective as per R5, which is the only legal measure. The establishment is around 4,500

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                            And how many of this number are really effective as in meeting all KPIs, regularly turning up to parade nights, etc....
                            Definitely an issue but there is a concerted effort by the DF to discharge those who are non effective.... focus currently being Officers

The other things that needs to be considered is:
                            - is all attendance marked on PMS (it is composed to be but it is dependant in the vast majority of cases on PDF clerks doing it who 1001 other tasks to do)
                            - is there people who’s GPs refuse to sign (anyone) off on people’s AF14C - or is there people who can’t afford to pay what the GP wants to charge (over and above what the DoD will refund). Therefore they can’t do a medical.
                            - is there people who’s AF14C isn’t logged on PMS. Therefore they can’t attempt ITs
                            - is there people who isn’t logged on PMS as “Fit for ITs”. Therefore they can’t attempt ITs
                            - is there people who can’t get to ITs to attempt them (physical location, not at a weekend, no BPEO, etc etc)
                            - is there people who’s ranges have been cancelled for various reasons

I would suggest that that it is quite reasonable to suggest that there will be numbers (not thousands obviously) but numbers who some all the above are true no matter how hard they try.... I’m not including people who couldn’t be arsed... these are guenine motivated fit and health reservists.

Why do I think that?
                            I’ve been that soldier in all cases at various stages in spite of me personally doing all I can.

PMS is a good tool, I assume all the information going into it is correct..... but not necessarily all the information goes into it

Comment

• That is effective as per R5, which is the only legal measure. The establishment is around 4,500
                              Not having access to R5 I can only equate establishment to 'actual strengths allowable' and effective being those meeting the KPIs with a given time period.....

So with that assumption made there are about 2,200 positions unfilled / persons non effective in the DF reserves for any amount of reasons .

To my eye and rough maths that would indicate that the DF reserve has halved yet again in the past 8 to 10 years and at that rate will cease to exist with the same time frame or sooner if there isn't a massive injection of bodies and resources.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Not having access to R5 I can only equate establishment to 'actual strengths allowable' and effective being those meeting the KPIs with a given time period.....

So with that assumption made there are about 2,200 positions unfilled / persons non effective in the DF reserves for any amount of reasons .

To my eye and rough maths that would indicate that the DF reserve has halved yet again in the past 8 to 10 years and at that rate will cease to exist with the same time frame or sooner if there isn't a massive injection of bodies and resources.
                                There is no “actual strength allowable”

Establishment - the total number of posts that there (how many people your supposed to have)

Total strength - the total of effective and non-effective strength

Effective Strength - the number of people who have met the effectiveness criteria (not KPIs or can’t remember the exact wording but combat effectiveness - it is the equivalent of 48 hours training annually as per R5)

Non-Effective Strength - the number of people who have failed to meet the effectiveness criteria, who have not been discharged / relinquished their commissions

Comment

Working...
                                X