The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt and vinegar with that chip?
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• What was actually said by the COS at the time who you think would have the party line well in hand.

Commenting on the recommendations of the report, Lieutenant General Sean Mc Cann Chief of Staff said:
      “I am acutely aware of the key strengths of the Reserve Defence Forces and the exceptional calibre and dedication of its members.
      Their contribution in terms of community volunteerism and military support to the State is significant.
      In order to guarantee the future viability of the Reserve, a radical and fundamental re-organisation is required in line with what is being implemented for the Permanent Defence Forces.
      When fully implemented, this plan will deliver a more effective Force who’s Permanent Soldiers are supported as appropriate by a credible and fit for purpose Reserve, as a single force.”
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• In 2005, I was posted from my Coy (that became a platoon) to another Coy. 5 minute to 30 minute commute. Both were locations outside manned barracks, the new location was further from the barracks (approx 90 minutes) and the reorganised coy had the a total of 4 locations.

I have to say I have been guilty of failing to delegate in the past, why?:
        - no one to delegate to because (a) they aren't there as they are on the non-effective list / discharged (b) they aren't there because they haven't paraded (c) I've already delegated them other things
        - it is quicker (and I have to send less time fixing the errors)

My sub-unit went from section plus at the time of the reorg to platoon plus within 2 years (I think we got up to 50 effective all ranks at one stage), we even got people to start parading again and apply to come off the non-effective list - if people failed to meet the criteria they were posted non-effective, when they met the criteria they were discharged (we didn't hold onto people).

I was probably a thorn in a lot of peoples sides but I was part of a team that became a successful company because we wanted to improve things (and we did). We gave them the best training we could considering the lack of NCOs, lack of weapons, lack of transport, unreliability of some personnel turning up. And we didn't allow our coy to be sidelined (our field day applications were always in on time (1 month +), but yet we would get 3 days notice of other unit activities).

We provided at least 3 people (out of reducing numbers) for the 2nd year of integration (it wasn't available to us the 1st year). I didn't apply, why? Because I wouldn't commit to something that no one could tell us what was involved (a) the dates of the weekends & weeks (b) what the training would actually consist of (that including in a briefing from Bde Ops).

For me the major reason why the 2 reorgs have failed is the selection (or non-selection) of personnel, what should have happened?
        (a) advertise, brief, disseminate the information of what exactly the new offering is and where the places are
        (b) Give people 2-3 months to complete medicals (having put the resources in place)
        (c) Give people 2-3 months to complete ITs (even to grade 5) (having put the resources in place)
        (d) Then allocate people to appointments (based on courses completed, experience, etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
          @S&S it's a little bit more complicated than that....
          Oh I understand that it can be quite tribal at times. I find myself stunned however that the PDF on initiation of the restructure didn't even exercise primitive diligence by interviewing people for the appointments within their own Reserve components. The very presence of the candidate to be interviewed in the first place would have been indicative of that person's suitability for an appointment.

What's done is done though. So we have to work with what we have.

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          I'm truly sorry to see the likes of Kermit leave, again a waste of talent, things have to be seriously wrong when you see guys like Barry and Kermit walk.If Odin is walking then its all doomed.
          I have the pleasure of knowing Barry and Odin outside of IMO and were they both to go, it would indeed be the DF's loss. I don't think I've met Kermit, but judging by his posts on these boards, he seems to have expertise in matters IT and networks and would again be a loss to the DF who are looking to progress their cyber security capability.

The PDF would probably struggle to retain human talent like that given the allure and demands from the various engineering industries; and they'd certainly pay top dollar to contract said individuals' services. And yet, they could have had these skill sets on tap, at minimal expense for the sake of adequately supporting their Reserve service. I'd laugh if it wasn't so fúcking tragic.

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
          It never mentioned "Single Force Concept" in the 2013 Annual Report only "Single Force Structure"...

..With the DoD using the term Single Force Structure rather than Concept it should help remind certain individuals on here that the whole Single Force thing is simply organisational and not the Single Force Barrack Jacket Gucci Gear Concept they like to think it is.
          What is a Single/Whole/Total Force if not organisational?

"Future total force is a conceptual framework for how to increase combat capability by using active-duty, Guard, Reserve and civilian forces in a different way. It is a piece of organizational change."

Maj. Gen. Ronald J. Bath (United States Air Force)
          So the whole Single Force "thing" has been labelled as a "structure" now, giving it an air of finalisation, having only achieved restructuring the establishment to match the full strength (not effective strength) of the RDF and amalgamating RDF units into Reserve components of PDF with no increase in either's operational function, purpose or capability.

Meanwhile most of the Western world have set the precedents for fully integrated and operational "Whole/Total/Single Force" structures for decades at this stage. We've watched counterpart Reservists prove time again that they are worth their rations in hostile environments, saving lives, earning medals, operating and innovating throughout the battlespace on par with their Regular counterparts.

Honestly, saying we have a Single Force Structure with no single purpose, minimal organisational harmony and zero legislative enablers is frankly laughable. It's akin to telling everyone you've booked Croke Park for 5 nights without obtaining a licence first, or the equivalent of rocking up late to an international Porsche owners' club convention in this...

Oh, and I've no interest in an article of clothing that suggests I spend any more time in barracks than absolutely necessary; I prefer to be in field.

Comment

• Swifty for minister.

Sadly man, the people that think like you (and us) are the ones leaving in droves, leaving the tea drinkers to their Lyons empires.
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
              Swifty for minister.

Sadly man, the people that think like you (and us) are the ones leaving in droves, leaving the tea drinkers to their Lyons empires.
              Haha, I'm way too gobby to be a Minister. Besides, not originating from here means I've no parish pump history to base a political career on.

That said, I've taken every opportunity at every level I can to affect positive change for the RDF, but you can only piss in the wind for so long before you have to change your trousers.
              Last edited by SwiftandSure; 9 July 2014, 06:29.

Comment

• Or you can get into a really hot golden shower subculture.

Don't leave us just yet Swifty, the officers and NCOs that are doing things are building bridges that may yet serve to cast a light on some of the more essential changes.

And we might also see someone have the stunning revelation that the reserve needs a centre for excellence, that parades on Weekends only so as not to be exclusive to a geographic area (asking someone to drive 100km or more once a month is better than trapping them in a geographic cachement that wastes their tallents for 3hrs a week every week.)
                Last edited by Come-quickly; 9 July 2014, 14:45.
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• But another problem - Due to the huge numbers needing to get medicals and Fitness tests done, there have been HUGE delays in both. 1 entire Bde has practically stopped doing them (with a knock on effect on fitness tests).

So watch this space, KPIs for 2014 will not be met by a large proportion of the RDF - not due to inability but due to lack of opportunity to complete them. DFR R5 has not been updated to reflect the need to complete KPIs. Can we see the purge of unfit (medically & physically) personnel actually happening at the start of 2015. Or will we suddenly see it being put off until 2016, then 2017 etc. etc.

Unfortunately the day of Fat officers sitting in the office doing nothing because they can't be put out on the ground as the Army are afraid they will collapse and die.... well, they may not be gone.

I am despairing at the future of the RDF.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                    Haha, I'm way too gobby to be a Minister. Besides, not originating from here means I've no parish pump history to base a political career on.

That said, I've taken every opportunity at every level I can to affect positive change for the RDF, but you can only piss in the wind for so long before you have to change your trousers.

Didn't stop Shatter

Comment

• You've got to love a bit of good old Irish despair mongering.

Sure didn't we just lose 800billion on the Garth Brooks concerts.

Comment

• Originally posted by madden View Post
                        ...Unfortunately the day of Fat officers sitting in the office doing nothing because they can't be put out on the ground as the Army are afraid they will collapse and die.... well, they may not be gone...
                        i bloody hope not - i've got a mortgage, kids, and a trophy wife to pay for!

oh, wrong army...

Comment

• Send nudes, over

Comment

• Originally posted by Napp View Post
                            Send nudes, over
                            pick either of two answers a) get to fcuk, b) you wouldn't be interested - she doesn't look like a Haddock thats been on the Jeremy Kyle show.

or, c) its been some time since she let me see her nude. and much longer since the whole stockings, heels kaboodle...

Comment

• The duffelblog, Terminal Lance, Doctrine Man et al have brought the term dependopotamus(sp?) to my attention.

Not too many of them with reserve pers

I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                              He put a bullet through his brain.
                              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                                c) its been some time since she let me see her nude. and much longer since the whole stockings, heels kaboodle...
                                You mean you haven't seen her latest snapchats?! Awwwwkwardddd....

Comment

Working...
                                X