Page 196 of 283 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 7058
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Close remote barracks
    move everything into main barracks
    get intranet access
    get ITs for weekends

WTF is the point of doing a pots course in 2010 if i now have to do a cuddle course for 5 days this year just to tell me what i already know?
    what exactly doesnt annual A7's
    and the orientation i underwent to instruct on the entirety of the last BTC run POTs course
    and the 2 weekends course on the new Instructional Plan that I had to sit through in 2013
    NOT cover I that I have to do 5 more days of it this year, one of them a friday??
    I have 20 days annual leave from my full time job
    I now need 2 of these days for ITs
    1 of these days for this poxy train the trainers course
    so ive 17 days left
    10 more will be required for full time training
    so 13 days of my own personal annual leave will be required to hit KPIs
    that leaves me with 7 to spend on a holiday?
    BO**OX i say.
    ALL withOUT the (8 days I beleieve?) Ive to give up FOR FREE to do voluntary work?

You forgot your medical or can you do it over weekends?
    And if your place shuts down for Xmas.....

Your probably in a minus

Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Some points from the above

TS56/06 is being driven by the PDF for some reason. I have not found any admin instruction which mandates its necessity apart from BTC courses I believe.
    I believe it is in the TI on career courses and has been a requirement for a while

It is actually required prior to any career

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    DeV, employment protection for training isn't really the issue, employer engagement might alleviate pressure there. The issue is employment protection for mobilisation and accompanying operational role.

It's a chicken and egg scenario. We need an operational role to justify EP, and EP to facilitate an operational role. We have neither, so we're left with an organisation that trains military trainers for no good reason. By having nothing to prepare for as an organisation, people become serial career course candidates and instructors for professions that they've probably had absolutely no operational exposure to. Think of all the RDF instructors that have trained you and no doubt beasted you, and ask how many operational tours has that guy done? How much operational or even exercise experience does he/she have in very job that he/she's now critiquing you on? I'd wager that less than 10% of your instructors have any meaningful depth of experience beyond the training that they're delivering either as a candidate or instructor. Chances are some who are instructors on the courses this year, were students on the same course last year.

All the while, we're failing to recruit and retain personnel. If we were a football team, we would be the C team that holds training nights but doesn't expect nor want anyone to ever play an actual match, while still expecting the same player standards as the A team. In fact the only people who benefit from turning up at all are the coaches. Who in their right mind would commit their time to that?

Yesterday, I costed how much I lost as a result of my RDF service in 2014. I was self-employed. Having considered the work days I gave up, calculating the cost of fuel to commute to my training location, how much training I did and deducting my RDF wages, I estimate that I'm down just short of €3,700 before tax. Was it worth it?

On one occasion I gave up 3 days to play enemy for the PDF. Those 3 days translated into day one spent signing out soft ordnance, and wait. Day two, sign out rifle and travel to the Curragh, and wait. Day three spend 3 hours on a Cordon and Search Ex before RTB. Other than those 3 hours, it was a complete waste of my time and I regret signing up for it.

What the Minister needs to understand is that by keeping the RDF as the lowest priority, and keeping it as a Reserve of the last resort; well then he doesn't have a Reserve at all and the single force concept is a crock of shit! If you mobilised the RDF with 7 days notice, even as a drill, you wouldn't get half of what you'd expect, maybe not even a quarter, and what turns up mightn't be suitable for what you need. Sure, my Coy paraded all of 4 Ptes this week! We can't even fill a section now, yet already the requests are coming in for shooting teams, ceremonial duties, tactical training regimes. How can we possibly support that?

There is less and less to get out of the RDF unless you're in the career training cycle. I absolutely love being a Reservist, but I've put in way more than I'm getting back, much to the cost of my family. So when the MoD doesn't have a scope of vision beyond the blinkered view he gets from his prejudiced department, and thus forms an opinion of "fúck your job, you should know what you signed up for"; it puts me in a very bad mood and reminds me that I still have the option to vote with my feet as many before me have already done so.
    Last edited by SwiftandSure; 16th January 2015 at 16:29.

3. Thanks cplmick thanked for this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot there resonates with me swifty.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

5. Likes SwiftandSure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If when RDFRA are talking about "employment protection" they mean during ops they need to state that when talking to politicians (they know nothing!!).

What some in the RDF want differs from other, which differs from what the PDF and DOD want. The RDF is the lower priority. I learnt that at least 12 years ago.

What kind of operational experience are you talking about? Because not all PDF do either!

Serial career course? If your in the other ranks, there 2 you have to do (recruit & 2-3*) and after that there are only 3 and your talking about over 10+ years, assuming promotion has gained.

If your self employed you can claim, PAYE tax credits.

S&S,
    I'm not at all saying your wrong by the way.
    But it is an uphill battle to change the mindset of some RDF, the PDF & DOD

We need to education them as to why turnover is so high and recruitment so low!

Post Thanks / Like
    WTF is the point of doing a pots course in 2010 if i now have to do a cuddle course for 5 days this year just to tell me what i already know?
    what exactly doesnt annual A7's
    and the orientation i underwent to instruct on the entirety of the last BTC run POTs course
    and the 2 weekends course on the new Instructional Plan that I had to sit through in 2013

Well said that man

Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    If your self employed you can claim, PAYE tax credits
    Is there any compelling reason why this could not be applied to serving Reservists? At least this way, there would be an offsetting of
    the cost to the Reservist when attending courses, training, fulfilling, KPIs, etc.

e.g. having to take a day or more off on a weekday to complete medical, do ITs, do a course where a weekday is factored in?

A simple form, returned to Revenue, with details confirmed by Unit OC/Admin Offr/Adjt would do the trick
    A little bit of lateral thinking and discussion between RDFRA, DoD and Revenue would not hurt in this regard?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Is there any compelling reason why this could not be applied to serving Reservists? At least this way, there would be an offsetting of
    the cost to the Reservist when attending courses, training, fulfilling, KPIs, etc.

e.g. having to take a day or more off on a weekday to complete medical, do ITs, do a course where a weekday is factored in?

A simple form, returned to Revenue, with details confirmed by Unit OC/Admin Offr/Adjt would do the trick
    A little bit of lateral thinking and discussion between RDFRA, DoD and Revenue would not hurt in this regard?
    If you may PAYE in your civvy job your already getting it.

Due to the factor that self employed people don't pay PAYE in civvy land but do in DF land, they can claim the credits

Preferably between Kirsty Gallagher's legs
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you may PAYE in your civvy job your already getting it.

Due to the factor that self employed people don't pay PAYE in civvy land but do in DF land, they can claim the credits
    self employed people do pay PAYE they just dont get the PAYE credit
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Are you sure,prsi certainly but Ive never come across fulltime farmers paying paye(or little else for that matter)

Post Thanks / Like
    No they don't they file a tax return and pay income tax

If they are an employer, they pay the PAYE they reduced from their employees wages to Revenue

RDF have to pay PAYE on their wages

Post Thanks / Like
    You pay Income Tax on your earnings, whether you're an employee or self employed.

PAYE is simply a method of collecting Income Tax from employees.

Now, why don't the self employed get the PAYE credit.....................................

Nothing to do with the military.
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prisoner View Post
    You pay Income Tax on your earnings, whether you're an employee or self employed.

PAYE is simply a method of collecting Income Tax from employees.

Now, why don't the self employed get the PAYE credit.....................................

Nothing to do with the military.
    Correct

A self employed RDF guy doesn't get the PAYE credit because their main employment isn't as a PAYE worker, however if they are in the RDF they can claim the PAYE tax credit as they pay PAYE on their RDF pay

Preferably between Kirsty Gallagher's legs
    Post Thanks / Like
    No they don't they file a tax return and pay income tax

If they are an employer, they pay the PAYE they reduced from their employees wages to Revenue

RDF have to pay PAYE on their wages
    I've been self employed 15 years and my income tax has been deducted every month from my pay packet as PAYE
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

15. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been self employed 15 years and my income tax has been deducted every month from my pay packet as PAYE
    Exceptions are there I was generalising

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is correct if you are an employee or director of your own outfit.

18. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    In which case you are no longer considered self employed....JEES!

20. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know if the DF intend to issue Reservists with ID cards at any stage?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

22. Likes ODIN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know if the DF intend to issue Reservists with ID cards at any stage?

What do you do at the moment? Just turn up and say "Joe sent me?"

Edited to add: Don't answer that, it's probably best nobody knows on an open forum!
    Last edited by Flamingo; 26th January 2015 at 11:36.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

24. Thanks Buck thanked for this post
    Likes Buck, The real Jack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

What do you do at the moment? Just turn up and say "Joe sent me?"

Edited to add: Don't answer that, it's probably best nobody knows on an open forum!
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Post Thanks / Like
    As surmised, No further discussion of operational matters in this area, which very clearly has to do with security procedures. Do not attempt to continue any ID card discussion or you will face a ban. Thanks !

27. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever about ID cards there are other "are we getting" or "does that apply" questions.

I was in A&E recently it says members of the defence forces and their families are exempt from the A&E charge. Does that now apply to us?

Now that we are a single force are RDF personnel allowed full mess membership?

I am sure others can come up with other burning questions.

29. Thanks Buck, ODIN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saab View Post
    Whatever about ID cards there are other "are we getting" or "does that apply" questions.

I was in A&E recently it says members of the defence forces and their families are exempt from the A&E charge. Does that now apply to us?

I can tell you the answer is almost certainly no. And that's without having done any looking into the matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    RDF members are full members of the mess with which they are associated except they cannot vote at mess meetings. This was brought into the regs a few years back to remove the associate member BS that was there before. You are therefore entitled to all the facilities available HA

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Saab, I got free treatment in hospital on account of being in the DF. I was told it would extend to my family too. The girl at reception was none concerned about whether I was Reserve or Permie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    @Saab, I got free treatment in hospital on account of being in the DF. I was told it would extend to my family too. The girl at reception was none concerned about whether I was Reserve or Permie.
    Now that IS interesting. What, did you just say that you were DF when you went to pay or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saab View Post

So long as it is worded "Defence Forces" and not "Permanent Defence Forces" or "RDF on training" (or something) then yes and nothing to do with SFC. We were always members of the DF.

But don't go private, the Minister won't pay

Thread Information