The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
    The time required for the vetting process varies anywhere from from days to months, he ye completed medicals yet?
    We did the fitness, interviews and gave all the documents for vetting on the 6th of July, no word on medical yet.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Considerable work has been done to get this process down for this recruit intake.

DShane how many turned up for the fitness tests when you did it ?
    Around 50 people got the email inviting them down to Finner, 15 replied to that email confirming their attendance, out of that 15 only five showed up and two of them failed the test.

Comment

• Not great reading now when you consider the recruitment campaigns are starting shortly. The RDF needs good news stories not these.
      All four Naval Service Reserve (NSR) motor launches have been decommissioned due to their age, while the strength of the back-up force has significantly decreased and is desperately short of young people.

Comment

Not great reading now when you consider the recruitment campaigns are starting shortly. The RDF needs good news stories not these.
        https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...es-943401.html
        Forgot to well done to the source for having the ba*** to speak to the press.

Comment

• One of our core values is moral courage, not always easy to speak up, better for young lads to know truth before they join, and they will always want to join.

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
            One of our core values is moral courage, not always easy to speak up, better for young lads to know truth before they join, and they will always want to join.
            Agreed 100%, tell the truth and shame the devil.
            If not the boats the navy uses (I've been in the army diving group uses). What type of boats does the NSR require and what cost? Have you looked into to it?

Comment

• Talks of 250,000 per boat for each unit, nothing decided yet.

Comment

Talks of 250,000 per boat for each unit, nothing decided yet.
                €1m for 4 replacement boats.

Comment

• It’s amazing how we have let our expectations fall to where we are delighted with 6 or 7 recruits when we would get 20 at least every Sept before the reorg.

Comment

Forgot to well done to the source for having the ba*** to speak to the press.
                    Apart from the fact its actually a crime under military law.....yeah.. real good guys......Now we have every partimer expressing an opinion in the national press.....
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• It's not the first and wont be the last, but how many have been disciplined both PDF &RDF.
                      In my experience when an member of the RDF is to be disciplined, most just go non effective. Social media is a perfect example or this forum, we are all posting under false names because we are expressing our opinions, stories and some fact openly about the DF which we normally are not allowed. I bet htmurphy if I had the time and will I would find a comment you have made which breaks military law but no action can be taken because we don't know who you are but you do and if you are a current member of the DF you would also have broken military law.

Comment

It’s amazing how we have let our expectations fall to where we are delighted with 6 or 7 recruits when we would get 20 at least every Sept before the reorg.
                        The new process and delays are not the only cause IMHO. It is also brand awareness (for want of a better term) and generational differences

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          The new process and delays are not the only cause IMHO. It is also brand awareness (for want of a better term) and generational differences
                          Generational differences is actually a huge one. There are more options for young people these days. They are also increasingly fickle.

Back in the day, they would turn up to the local FCA/Slua location not really knowing what it was about aside from word of mouth. They'd get hooked.

Nowadays the RDF needs to be sold (something the DF are well aware of to be fair) but new joiners want a functioning and relatively bullsh*t free organisation that is fulfilling and fun. Unfortunately it needs an injection of new blood to get to that point so we may be in a chicken and egg type scenario.

It doesn't seem to be a kosher argument on here but the US and UK boost their numbers by remunerating people for joining. Payment for all activities (including parade nights), a gratuity and bonuses for completing certain aspects (finishing recruit training). Not palatable for most and will never happen but I can't see numbers moving towards full establishment without such.

Money might be a 'dirty' solution but it works.

* (I also acknowledge that the UK reserves still have recruitment issues despite a system of bonuses but are still in a far better place than we are).
                          Last edited by Auldsod; 13 August 2019, 15:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                            Generational differences is actually a huge one. There are more options for young people these days. They are also increasingly fickle.

Back in the day, they would turn up to the local FCA/Slua location not really knowing what it was about aside from word of mouth. They'd get hooked.
                            Also back in the day they weren't ignored for 6 to 8 months after applying. In my day they had you training during the security clearance period. Even in the 2000s there was a limited training facility that could be done pre-security clearance and a good recruiting team would be keeping tabs on people through that process. That being said I still would need to start the process on about 3 times as many people as I wanted to get through the door.

Comment

It's not the first and wont be the last, but how many have been disciplined both PDF &RDF.
                              In my experience when an member of the RDF is to be disciplined, most just go non effective. Social media is a perfect example or this forum, we are all posting under false names because we are expressing our opinions, stories and some fact openly about the DF which we normally are not allowed. I bet htmurphy if I had the time and will I would find a comment you have made which breaks military law but no action can be taken because we don't know who you are but you do and if you are a current member of the DF you would also have broken military law.
                              Everyone who served with murph knows who he is here. We dont all use false names.
                              Your assumption regarding discipline in the reserve is, in my experience, nonsense. Maybe you witnessed a unit that has no interest in painting the military code of discipline but in the 3 formations I served.in this was not the case. People were disciplined with due process and procedure (myself included) took it on the chin and continued serving. In my 12 years I saw at least 10 reservists being marched for orders.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Me too, and I have been on the receiving end. I have also know those who went to great lengths to frustrate the system.

Comment

Working...
                                X