Thanks Thanks:  1,069
Likes Likes:  3,311
Dislikes Dislikes:  129
Page 273 of 281 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,825 of 7009
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the interview is SD (No 1 or No2 ) understand the difference (ribbons mainly ). Ensure your fit is correct especially if its been a while to pull it on; get your Q working for you to get any clothing sorted out pronto or get borrowing rapid as it needs to look like a package.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

2. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess anyone who is being called for interview has been notified at this stage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Text of the RDFRA presentation to the Dail Committee 7 Feb 2019

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates.../2019-02-07/2/

5. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like I wasn't wrong about the pay discrepancy. There were a few doubters on another thread . It's interesting how something unknown last year is now the most serious new issue.

Great to see it making it this far though. Positive signs even if it's only a start.

'The most serious new issue involving the Department of Defence and the Reserve is the pay discrepancy that the Department of Defence has allowed to form between the Permanent Defence Force and Reserve Defence Force rates of pay. In the first instance, it must be highlighted that the majority of a reservist's service is unpaid; the best part of training takes place in the evenings and at weekends. However, reservists are entitled to payment when engaged in certain activities, such as full-time training courses. This payment serves to offset the costs associated with a reservist’s service in the Defence Forces, including those relating to mileage, time off work and ancillary expenses. However, for the periods of paid training that reservists undertake, there is now a significant discrepancy between permanent and reserve rates of pay.

Reserve pay is tied to Permanent Defence Force pay rates by two ministerial Defence Forces regulations, R5 and S3. These clarify that reservists are entitled to be paid at the lowest point of the Permanent Defence Force pay scale for their particular rank. However, the vast majority of reservists are currently paid 18% less than the corresponding lowest point on the current Permanent Defence Force pay scale for each rank.

This is particularly enraging for reservists. Not only did we suffer a pay reduction at rates variable by rank in 2009, reservists received an additional 10% blanket pay reduction in 2013. The Reserve pay rate has, in essence, been plundered twice and we are not even on a par with the lowest points on the Permanent Defence Forces' payscale. This has significant impacts for our existing members in terms of the costs associated with their continued and loyal service. It also represents an obstacle to attracting new members, particularly among young people who may not be in employment and who are not in a position to foot the costs associated with serving in the Reserve. RDFRA notified the Department of this breach of regulations last December and while we recognise that it is a complex issue, we have not been given an explanation, a plan to settle the arrears or an expected time to resolution. Our members are deeply frustrated by these delays in taking effective action and rightly question whether a similar attitude would be experienced were the underpayment to have been made to our comrades in the Permanent Defence Forces. The Reserve pay rates need to be realigned with their permanent counterparts immediately. However, RDFRA has serious concerns that such a pay rate realignment could take months or even years for the Department to implement, to say nothing of the payment of arrears.'

7. Thanks na grohmiti, Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NSR Recruiting 1-30 March
    AR Recruiting 1-30 April

9. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    t looks like I wasn't wrong about the pay discrepancy. There were a few doubters on another thread . It's interesting how something unknown last year is now the most serious new issue.

Great to see it making it this far though. Positive signs even if it's only a start.
    DFRs R5 and S3 is the law of the land for Pay - they are ignoring it, RDF are not subject to Haddington Road and LRA, they are excluded.

11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Auldsod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    DFRs R5 and S3 is the law of the land for Pay - they are ignoring it, RDF are not subject to Haddington Road and LRA, they are excluded.
    Agreed. At least the exclusion has been raised however. Nothing may be done but it's better than being in the dark.

13. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shout-out from the CoS in the IT today about reservists.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...nise-1.3837001

15. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be going blind then. Didn't see the mention when I read it yesterday either... :confused:
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like

He mentions a very small subset of reservists in the cyber security are though. Not too substantial.

Post Thanks / Like
    What he said was - and this is important

Defence Forces personnel have participated, as recently as last November, in Nato’s flagship cyberdefence exercise in Tartu, Estonia.

According to the organisers, Co-operative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence, “the exercise aims to enhance co-ordination and collaboration between Nato and Allies, strengthen the ability to protect alliance cyberspace and conduct military operations in the cyberdomain”.

Mellett says the exercises “are hugely successful, often driven by the competence that comes in with our reservists and I see opportunities to build further on that and that is one of my priorities for this year”.

19. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    He mentions a very small subset of reservists in the cyber security are though. Not too substantial.
    A very small group of reservists

Punching above their weight and providing capabilities the PDF don’t have

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    A very small group of reservists

Punching above their weight and providing capabilities the PDF don’t have
    To clarify, I'm not referring to that group of reservists or their contribution as being insubstantial. I mean the COS mentioned the reserves in only a very limited manner overall.

22. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear RDFRA members,
    RDF recruitment (for Army Reserve and Naval Service Reserve) is now live until 30 April 2019, with applications being accepted online at http://military.ie/en/careers/current-competitions/
    Applicants for Athlone, Cork city, Curragh Camp and Dublin city can select from the various corps in each location.

24. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the RDF is to exist in 3-5 years we really need to have at least 300 successfully enlist this year

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    If the RDF is to exist in 3-5 years we really need to have at least 300 successfully enlist this year
    What are the most recent RDF total and effective numbers?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    What are the most recent RDF total and effective numbers?
    Effective strength is in the region of 1300-1400

Post Thanks / Like
    The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 January 2019, is set out below:

Service Total Effective Personnel
    Army Reserve 1659
    Naval Reserve 132
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

29. Thanks Truck Driver, DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Fan View Post
    The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 January 2019, is set out below:

Army Reserve 1659
    Naval Reserve 132
    And how many of this number are really effective as in meeting all KPIs, regularly turning up to parade nights, etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    that fraction has gotten a lot better and I would hazard that we are at are about US/UK levels as actuals/strength for bums on seats. Not for strength/establishment though !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Fan View Post

Army Reserve 1659
    Naval Reserve 132
    is that the effective strength or establishment?
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    That is effective as per R5, which is the only legal measure. The establishment is around 4,500

34. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    And how many of this number are really effective as in meeting all KPIs, regularly turning up to parade nights, etc....
    Definitely an issue but there is a concerted effort by the DF to discharge those who are non effective.... focus currently being Officers

The other things that needs to be considered is:
    - is all attendance marked on PMS (it is composed to be but it is dependant in the vast majority of cases on PDF clerks doing it who 1001 other tasks to do)
    - is there people who’s GPs refuse to sign (anyone) off on people’s AF14C - or is there people who can’t afford to pay what the GP wants to charge (over and above what the DoD will refund). Therefore they can’t do a medical.
    - is there people who’s AF14C isn’t logged on PMS. Therefore they can’t attempt ITs
    - is there people who isn’t logged on PMS as “Fit for ITs”. Therefore they can’t attempt ITs
    - is there people who can’t get to ITs to attempt them (physical location, not at a weekend, no BPEO, etc etc)
    - is there people who’s ranges have been cancelled for various reasons

I would suggest that that it is quite reasonable to suggest that there will be numbers (not thousands obviously) but numbers who some all the above are true no matter how hard they try.... I’m not including people who couldn’t be arsed... these are guenine motivated fit and health reservists.

Why do I think that?
    I’ve been that soldier in all cases at various stages in spite of me personally doing all I can.

PMS is a good tool, I assume all the information going into it is correct..... but not necessarily all the information goes into it

Post Thanks / Like
    That is effective as per R5, which is the only legal measure. The establishment is around 4,500
    Not having access to R5 I can only equate establishment to 'actual strengths allowable' and effective being those meeting the KPIs with a given time period.....

So with that assumption made there are about 2,200 positions unfilled / persons non effective in the DF reserves for any amount of reasons .

To my eye and rough maths that would indicate that the DF reserve has halved yet again in the past 8 to 10 years and at that rate will cease to exist with the same time frame or sooner if there isn't a massive injection of bodies and resources.
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Not having access to R5 I can only equate establishment to 'actual strengths allowable' and effective being those meeting the KPIs with a given time period.....

So with that assumption made there are about 2,200 positions unfilled / persons non effective in the DF reserves for any amount of reasons .

To my eye and rough maths that would indicate that the DF reserve has halved yet again in the past 8 to 10 years and at that rate will cease to exist with the same time frame or sooner if there isn't a massive injection of bodies and resources.
    There is no “actual strength allowable”

Establishment - the total number of posts that there (how many people your supposed to have)

Total strength - the total of effective and non-effective strength

Effective Strength - the number of people who have met the effectiveness criteria (not KPIs or can’t remember the exact wording but combat effectiveness - it is the equivalent of 48 hours training annually as per R5)

Non-Effective Strength - the number of people who have failed to meet the effectiveness criteria, who have not been discharged / relinquished their commissions

Thread Information