The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
    Yes RDF sic 2 instructors. Bgde's have run RDF modular sic2 courses and there are enough to an instructor pool from. Sorry I forgot about NSR. Which units, name and shame.
    My point is no one is allowed to instruct recruits unless they have completed SIC2 (PDF or RDF)

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      It was to happen in 2009. The first group of RDF ago go overseas had started their form up.

You had to resign from RDF, enlisted in PDF, zero provision in law to allow people to rejoin RDF on return
      So if someone had went overseas, they probably would have come back to face the RDF recruitment ban!

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
        So if someone had went overseas, they probably would have come back to face the RDF recruitment ban!
        Well they had to take a drop in rank to 3* (open to correction on that) on joining the PDF

The 12/20 were formed up and in the DFTC to start training prior to going to Kosovo and then the Public Service ban came in and that was the reason give .... as they couldn’t then join the PDF.

You are quite possibly right that would have been held over them then too.

The amount of hassle that ban called considering it specifically said “public service and permanent defence force”

And then the Minister told the Dail however long it was later that it RDF was excused. Was at least a few more weeks before approval was given to restart.

Comment

I'm not aware of this arrangment? So someone would have had to resign from the RDF to go overseas? What would happen when they had to go back to their unit? Rejoin the RDF? There isn't provision to keep rank if you leave and rejoin per R9.
          I remember that - Designed to fail as per normal SOP. From my understanding, the regulations were still being drafted at the time but it would have said that RDF would have to resign, no matter what their rank, and take a 3* rank in the PDF. As it was still being drafted and hadn't been set in stone, the RDF guys preparing for overseas did nothing about it. But once it would have came time for them to resign from the RDF.......well lets just say it would have been a sight to behold.
          Last edited by Poiuyt; 30 September 2020, 02:59.

Comment

• Can't believe I hadn't heard about this before. In what capacity were the RDF going over? Full tour in Kosovo or just a few weeks?

Comment

• It was not Three Star, but rather two-star. That was the contract. Still have a copy somewhere. As for "doing nothing about it", that is untrue. They refused point blank to change it, went all the way to the top of the DF. It was debated on here at length ( fk is that really 12 years ago)
              Last edited by trellheim; 30 September 2020, 10:07.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                It was not Three Star, but rather two-star. That was the contract. Still have a copy somewhere. As for "doing nothing about it", that is untrue. They refused point blank to change it, went all the way to the top of the DF. It was debated on here at length ( fk is that really 12 years ago)
                I'll have to try find that old thread. Sounds like an interesting read.

Comment

• On a related point, I know of a doctor that was commissioned into the PDF as a Captain to go overseas, wanted to transfer to the RDF because he liked the military life but had to drop in rank to Lt, same happened again after his second overseas mission where he served as a Comdt. DF rules be crazy whether you are PDF or RDF

Comment

As for "doing nothing about it", that is untrue. They refused point blank to change it, went all the way to the top of the DF. It was debated on here at length ( fk is that really 12 years ago)
                    I meant that the RDF side were waiting for the regulations to be finalised before they would kick up a storm. It was the RDF side who were "doing nothing about it" until it came time to sign contracts.

Comment

• I meant that the RDF side were waiting for the regulations to be finalised before they would kick up a storm
                      because there was nothing to kick up about till we saw what the proposals were ? There was no involvement at all to involve RDF senior decision makers in the process or indeed any knowledge of what they were coming out with. Perhaps I am missing your point. The points about employment protection and rank retention had been made very strongly in several representations ( and completely ignored)
                      Last edited by trellheim; 30 September 2020, 20:19.

Comment

Perhaps I am missing your point.
                        Yes you are but it was a throw-away comment by me that I think you read too much into. Not important at all.

Comment

That should definitely be the focus and if numbers were increased and the age profile reduced again, you'd have a large body of somewhat trained soldiery if there was ever a national crisis. Basically, they could be brought up to full time standard in a fast track fashion. The clue is in the name 'reserve'. Our defence forces are essentially our insurance policy for when the 'sh*t hits the fan', the reserve should be the reinsurance policy for that.

I'm sure it's been thought of before but should the reserve really be a mirror for the PDF? Would it make more sense for the reserve to focus on the 'Corps' tasks such as transport, CIS and engineering? Just a logistical backbone in case the PDF ever had to expand. Also, don't forget in an ATCP situation be it natural disaster, strike, etc - transport, communications, etc are more useful than hundreds of infantry trained reservists?
                          This is the approach the British AR took
                          About 40-50% of their strength is in CS/CSS units, from what I recall

EDIT:
                          Or possibly that's 40-50% of the British Army CS/CSS units as a whole, are Reserve units?
                          Last edited by Truck Driver; 3 October 2020, 16:57.
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            This is the approach the British AR took
                            About 40-50% of their strength is in CS/CSS units, from what I recall
                            Yes and no

They still have 16 Infantry battalions of reserves

It isn’t necessarily that that they have prioritised CSS (especially) over infantry, it is that they have prioritised reserve CSS over regular CSS (they have moved regular capabilities to the reserve).

Comment

• I'm sure it's been thought of before but should the reserve really be a mirror for the PDF? Would it make more sense for the reserve to focus on the 'Corps' tasks such as transport, CIS and engineering? Just a logistical backbone in case the PDF ever had to expand. Also, don't forget in an ATCP situation be it natural disaster, strike, etc - transport, communications, etc are more useful than hundreds of infantry trained reservists?
                              There are some counterpoints for that.
                              The combat arms, infantry, artillery, air defense, cavalry, are the least important for an army on daily peacetime operations. If every cavalryman in the Army was suddenly transferred to the reserves, the vehicles would still require their routine servicing, annual overhauls, and just enough mileage to make sure the seals are lubricated. The mechanics would still need to be there. The medics would still need to be supporting the people on full time duty, logistics people will still be running trucks around the bases delivering supplies, Signals folks will still be running the IT network, and so on. Procurement folks will still be procuring. Your active force should be whatever is needed to keep things ticking over in peacetime, plus whatever you need on routine operations. I don't believe Ireland sends much air defense overseas, why are they a PDF unit? When was the last time Ireland needed to deploy 25pr or 105mm guns on short notice? Look at how much of the US's combat power is in the reserves, at one stage it was over half the tanks and over 2/3 of the artillery (I think it's dropped a bit since). (There's also a bit of the doctrine that said that having that power in the reserves means that large wars aren't going to be fought without activating reserves, which was an additional cost and political consideration). It's the lack of will to send reserve units overseas (we sent units, not individuals), which makes the Irish system inefficient.
                              It's to be noted that just because someone is a mechanic in civilian life, or a construction engineer or a truck driver doesn't mean that they want to do it in the Army Reserve. It's an opportunity to do something a bit different. We have discovered in the US that arbitrarily assigning people to jobs purely on the needs of the army does not do wonders for retention. (of course, needs of the Army do come first, but some tweaking is still possible).
                              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• how ya good to see your still about ct, some old skulls still here posting

Comment

Working...
                                X