No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read in the august newsletter Connect that a CS4 review is underway. Presumably this will include the RDF? Anyone care to give me an educated guess as to how long a CS4 review might take, and how long before it might translate to establishment changes?

Comment

• Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

What are they doing for our membership?? NSR seem to be able to promote away!

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
        https://www.facebook.com/64482377562...7220662717351/
        Well deserved and long awaited promotions I would say.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/64482377562...7220662717351/
          Good few sgt’s promotions in DFTC and 1 Bde

If units didn’t insist on holding onto people on paper only instead of posting them non-effective and discharge after 2 years non-effective - there would not far off a promotion for everyone in the RDF

Heaven forbid failing that they could encourage the non attendees (who should have been posted non-effective and haven’t been) to start engaging with the RDF Again. Wonder how many would be 80+ years old and who’s only uniform was No1s

Comment

• Anyone know how the RDF recruitment campaign is going. Are the applicant numbers up or down. RLOs are been used so I hope that keeps more interested and engaged

Comment

• I have copied this from another topic on the forum, so credit to
              them but I think its relative here.

With the all the extra focus and resources that has gone into recruitment into the DF over the last 3 years it is not working. It continues to go down.

KildareStreet.com
              Written answers
              Thursday, 7 November 2019

Department of Defence
              Defence Forces Strength

Photo of Bernard DurkanBernard Durkan (Kildare North, Fine Gael)
              Link to this: Individually | In context
              36. To ask the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the extent to which the numbers in the Defence Forces have fluctuated in the past three years; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45991/19]
              37. To ask the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the degree to which membership of the Air Corps has fluctuated in the past three years to date; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45992/19]
              38. To ask the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the degree to which membership of the Naval Service has fluctuated in the past three years to date; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45993/19]
              Photo of Paul KehoePaul Kehoe (Wexford, Fine Gael)
              I propose to take Questions Nos. 36 to 38, inclusive, together.
              The table below illustrates the extent to which the numbers in the Defence Forces have fluctuated in the past three years:
              Year Army Air Corps Naval Service Total PDF Strength (WTE) Army Reserve Naval Reserve Total AR and NSR Strength (Effective)
              2017 7,386 734 1,053 9,173 1,732 124 1,856
              2018 7,243 725 989 8,957 1,666 133 1,799
              2019* 6,983 720 951 8,654 1,548 148 1,696
              *as at 30th September 2019, the latest date for which such data is available.
              Recruitment and inductions will continue throughout 2019 to ensure the Defence Forces retain the capacity to operate effectively across all roles.

Comment

• It is only dawning on the DoD since the PSPC report came out that we cannot recruit our way out of this crisis.

The organisation is caught in a spiral that will be all but impossible to resolve without a major geopolitical stimulus.

The figures do not represent the true realities either. There are almost 250 people on trainee technician courses. There are another 500+ that are on other courses on any given day. There are 650+ overseas with the same amount just back and another same amount preparing to travel.

The realities on the ground are soul destroying for those few that are left. Workshops with 1 Pte on the floor, Coys with 2 or 3 people available for a parade which they cannot hold due to lack of people to take them, I could go on and on

Comment

• It is only dawning on the DoD since the PSPC report came out that we cannot recruit our way out of this crisis.
                  they have known this for a very long time. A stubborn fixation (verging on the completely weird and over the top refusal to face reality ) that core pay cannot be touched is at the back of all this .

In addition to this, Tech pay 1-6 is essentially at the high end not worth it as a retention initiative, to retain T6 in IT roles or otherwise as the multinationals just laugh and add an extra few grand its monopoly money for facebook etc essentially in the long run . With the loss of decent living accomodation, and the brain drain making it fall harder on the people left you cant even do family friendly .

Its worse than I have ever seen it on RDF and PDF retention
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Anyone know how the RDF recruitment campaign is going. Are the applicant numbers up or down. RLOs are been used so I hope that keeps more interested and engaged
                    Numbers applying are extremely positive on a total for the year basis compared to 2018
                    Last edited by DeV; 22 November 2019, 15:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                      It is only dawning on the DoD since the PSPC report came out that we cannot recruit our way out of this crisis.

The organisation is caught in a spiral that will be all but impossible to resolve without a major geopolitical stimulus.

The figures do not represent the true realities either. There are almost 250 people on trainee technician courses. There are another 500+ that are on other courses on any given day. There are 650+ overseas with the same amount just back and another same amount preparing to travel.

The realities on the ground are soul destroying for those few that are left. Workshops with 1 Pte on the floor, Coys with 2 or 3 people available for a parade which they cannot hold due to lack of people to take them, I could go on and on
                      Of course it doesn't help when those on high still keep trying to do things as if it's business as usual and keep planning and organising and saying yes to tasks as if we still had the numbers we had 10-15 years ago.
                      At least FOCNS had the balls to "Cut the cloth according to the measure",but look where that got him. This is emperors new clothes s**t at this stage with no one wanting to tell the emperor he is naked.
                      Our can do attitude is being abused and the good will is running out.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Numbers applying are extremely positive on a total for the year basis compared to 2018
                        Good to hear that but the numbers getting in continue to go down. Or could it be die to retirements and non effective being moved on? Hard to tell.

Comment

• Or worse, would the cost of AR recruitment v result v output from AR v number with complete OR v not complete OR, my guess is those figures would be very poor and bring the viability of the RDF into question.

Comment

Good to hear that but the numbers getting in continue to go down. Or could it be die to retirements and non effective being moved on? Hard to tell.
                            Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                            Or worse, would the cost of AR recruitment v result v output from AR v number with complete OR v not complete OR, my guess is those figures would be very poor and bring the viability of the RDF into question.
                            As far as I’ve heard the RDF is suffering similar percentage wastage during the process as the PDF.... there are plans afoot to help

But look at it this way..... 2 formations are able to get RDF from the March/April 2019 competition attested within 2 months and at least 1 of them has them as 3* within 12-18 months of applying to join (obviously subject to individual availability).

In the other 2, application to attestation can be 12+ months

Comment

• I know dftc is doing very well, in fact best in class you might say. So why cant the other two do the same.

Comment

• DFTC, I think, has the solution to the problem it would appear, best by far for last two years getting people in and processed. They work very hard to get those results. And all in their own time.

Comment

Working...
                                X