No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong thread. Post over in the 3 things.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      Wrong thread. Post over in the 3 things.
      Bravo20 has draw attention to the rules of the 3 things thread.

Should discussion of suggestions in that thread not then be discussed here?

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Not a bad idea but only a MO can classify you.
      Would this not be possible?
      Last edited by Saab; 5 December 2011, 22:45.

Comment

• In the sense of ? What 3 things to improve the RDF ? I posted mine. With no comment you've posted an answer from there over here, not even " Hi, I'm posting my response here "

Comment

• Regarding the M.O. this is already the case. I've had to do an annual medical in LBH the last few years, he classes me fit to undergo IT's, cos I'm Over 40.

Not a problem, just schedule it well in advance and tis not a worry.

Comment

• I was only trying to abide by Bravo20's post.

Number 40 of that thread.

It would be easier I suppose to make comment there but it is much easier to see ideas without the comments.

So how do you suggest we should proceed?

Comment

• Just heard on today FM that amongst further cuts to spending being proposed, the closure of the 6000 strong army reserve is being considered. Not sure which sunday newspaper it is mentioned in.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Its sad to say but:

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Just heard on today FM that amongst further cuts to spending being proposed, the closure of the 6000 strong army reserve is being considered. Not sure which sunday newspaper it is mentioned in.
                  Then there'll be a lot of "GENUINE IRISH ARMY RANGER DPM SPECIAL FORCES" kit appearing on ebay!
                  Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• disbanding of reserve mentioned in sunday times. part of review of spending cuts for 2012 - 2015. only mentioned in headline sentence on article which then went on to talk in more detail about other suggested cuts. none of these have been decided on yet. but everything on table as govt keep saying.
                    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• I'm sure they are already gearing up for their RDF stand down medal campaign in RDFRA HQ
                      You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                        I'm sure they are already gearing up for their RDF stand down medal campaign in RDFRA HQ
                        I guess this means my lot won't be doing those IT's in the Spring, then

Comment

• That is a rehash of McCarthy unless I miss my guess.

Comment

• All joking aside;

would it really be bad for you lads if they axed the RDF,

at least you would know where you stood instead of this will they wont they bull;

I really dont know why some of you dont jump ship and join the Garda Reserve or the Civil Defence

at least both organisations will welcome you, recognise your commitment and treat you with the respect you deserve.
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Why axe the RDF, what would be the savings? Why not cut the PDF(Army) to half its current number, is there really a need for this country to have an army of its present number? It is all fine & dandy to say the number is required for UN missions & such but why just not give up on such jobs, what benefit is there for the country in doing them? I dont suggest reducing the NS or AC, their roles are of benefit in many ways.
                              A properly resourced & trained RDF could be used to make up the loss of numbers in the PDF if & when they were required.

Comment

• Originally posted by cplmick View Post
                                Why axe the RDF, what would be the savings? Why not cut the PDF(Army) to half its current number, is there really a need for this country to have an army of its present number? It is all fine & dandy to say the number is required for UN missions & such but why just not give up on such jobs, what benefit is there for the country in doing them? I dont suggest reducing the NS or AC, their roles are of benefit in many ways.
                                A properly resourced & trained RDF could be used to make up the loss of numbers in the PDF if & when they were required.
                                Is there a need for the country to have a Reserve that can barely maintain one third of it's establishment and which is filled with quite a few people who aren't fit to serve? Is filled with Officers who are more than happy for things to stay as they are so long as their little empire are left alone? For whom the Integration project fell flat on it's face?

Since the foundation of this state it's seen a Civil War, two World Wars on the continent, the Cold War and the Troubles. On more than one occasion it has been the subject of invasion plans from other countries. Not to mention the world we're living in at the moment is less than stable.

As for why bother with Overseas missions, well, since the late 50's succesive Governments have decided to take an active role in Peacekeeping and Peace Enforcing, you'll have to ask them why they feel the need to continue the practice. Personally, I feel Overseas is an integral part of life for the DF, more so than CIT's or shovelling snow. Europe asks for troops, we give them. Succesive Governments obviously decided that we have an obligtion to Europe when it comes to Defence. Congo, Cyprus, Lebanon, Somalia, Timor, Liberia, Chad, Nordic Battlegroup, German Battlegroup... The DF and Europe goes hand in hand.
                                Last edited by Hello Alaska; 11 December 2011, 17:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X