The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Are there reserve units in the DFTC(that would accept recruits) I thought most were absorbed by the South/east in the last re-org.
    I'm not certain to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Law of the sea View Post
      But what about the DFTA and NSR?
      Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Are there reserve units in the DFTC(that would accept recruits) I thought most were absorbed by the South/east in the last re-org.
      RDFTA doesn't have privates.
      I think there is an RDF artillery battery headquartered in DFTC but under command of 62 RAR (not 100% sure but there was).

Why does everyone seem to think that the VFM report on the RDF is about another reorg?
      Read the other VFM reports on the DOD website, it is about eliminating waste!

Comment

• Originally posted by Law of the sea View Post
        But what about the DFTA and NSR?
        Reserve Defence Force = Army Reserve + Naval Service Reserve

So presumably, a proportion of the 400 will be going to the NSR

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Originally posted by Law of the sea View Post
        I'm not certain to be honest.
        Originally posted by DeV View Post
        RDFTA doesn't have privates.
        I think there is an RDF artillery battery headquartered in DFTC but under command of 62 RAR (not 100% sure but there was)
        Yes. DFTC has 2 Btys of 62 RAR, which used to be part of 6 FAR, before 6 and 7 FAR merged in the Reserve re-org in Oct 2005
        The Edenderry based Bty of 6 FAR changed collar badges and Bde, became a Coy of 56 Inf Bn (as far as I know anyway, that was the plan)

As for RDFTA not having Ptes, I'm sure there would be an establishment for Pte Drivers, Clerks, Radio Ops, etc
        Last edited by Truck Driver; 9 February 2012, 19:11.
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          Expect Green Paper early 2013, expect White Paper 2014.
          According to the department the green paper will be published in the first six months of this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
            According to the department the green paper will be published in the first six months of this year.
            According to the department, the long overdue VFM was due in 2010.

Comment

• 400 hundred recruits won't even cover non effectives from last year......who is Shatter trying to kid!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                400 hundred recruits won't even cover non effectives from last year......who is Shatter trying to kid!
                Well it does allow for new blood so that's a positive.

Comment

• Dont think he's trying to kid anyone. A wastage of numbers down to a figure of 10 - 20% of Army and NS IMO would be a fundamental starting point for a change in structure and effectiveness.
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• The problem, people, as LoTs and Morpheus point out, is that
                    g NO
                    a) 400 won't cover the non-effectives ( and worse, the brain drain as our best young 3* and NCOs leave to find work overseas cos there's f-all here - it's like the Mid-80s over again, and this time there's no unlimited recruitment to paper the gaps )

b) 400 is 5 or so a sub-unit. Unless they are platooned as a group all the way to 3* there's no way they'll stick around. Then even if they are platooned and trained appropriately, then when they get back to their unit they are, if they are lucky, one of the 2 or 3 three-stars.

Far better to allocate one unit a block of 120 per annum and rotate it on a three year basis ( or some such )
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I suggested last year, and I suggest it again, that the Minister should curtail a lot of the unnecessary expenditure incurred by sending regular officers, NCOs and men trundling around the country in Army transport, opening up small training halls, spending a few hours with a few enthusiastic members of the FCA and then driving a long distance back to their barracks again. It would be far better if units of the FCA were made an integral part of the Regular Army so that, say, a Regular Army battalion would have one, or even two, FCA companies and those FCA officers and men would not do weekend or week night training but would come up for annual training and do a fortnight or three weeks with their own unit, training and exercising as part of the Regular Army unit, whether it is an infantry battalion or field company of one of the corps. A tremendous amount of money would be saved on these training halls. A tremendous amount of manpower would be saved because the training would be carried out by Regular Army personnel within their own Regular Army unit. A very large number of Army personnel is at present floating around the country doing FCA work. I know it is work which does attract additional allowances and I would be sorry to stand in the way of anyone in the Army who had a chance of getting more money but I believe it is wasteful at the present time. I believe a complete integration of the FCA with the Regular Army is the only solution.

The year was 1964.

Comment

• OMG

I can't believe units took last night off.

In all my years of FCA/RDF I never took off for St. Valentine's day.

Is this the way of the future?

Comment

• The RDF, Reorganization, 1980.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
                            OMG

I can't believe units took last night off.

In all my years of FCA/RDF I never took off for St. Valentine's day.

Is this the way of the future?
                            why would they take it off?
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Salutary figures re FCA personnel turnover down the years ( I'm researching something which is why I'm posting these ) , 1982

Comment

• Originally posted by royalgreenjacket View Post
                                why would they take it off?
                                a7

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X