Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinn Féin councillor claims RDF to be slashed

Updated: Tuesday, 30th October, 2012 2:56pm

Sinn Féin councillor Paul Hogan has claimed today that the Government will shortly announce plans to slash the Reserve Defence Forces.

Cllr Hogan said the proposals are contained in the Government's 'Value for Money Review' of the RDF and will see the reserve army more than halved.

Speaking after town councillors met with Junior Defence Minister Paul Kehoe last week, he said: ""After the meeting I learned that it is this Fine Gael and Labour Government's plan to reduce the Reserve Defence Force from 7,800 to 3,400 members in 2013. It is also their intention to eliminate their gratuity for training from next year, which covers fuel, meals and stationery."

"This is devastating news again for the people of Athlone and sure to have an impact on Custume Barracks again and our local economy will also be affected. These moves are starting to take the appearance of death by 1,000 cuts," said Cllr Hogan.

"It is time that Government voices are heard locally to stop any further downgrading. I am deeply concerned at the document I have read which states that this cut is at the discretion of the Government politicians. This is a scandalous insertion and needs to be clarified without delay.

"This Government needs to be held accountable for the decisions they are making. They also need to be transparent and answerable to the people. This isn't happening. When you have a Government that refuses to meet with the elected members of a Local Authority, it displays utter contempt for accountability, democracy and transparency."

Comment

• Reading between the provo and parish pump lines, basically like they did with the PDF, reduce the establishment to the actual active strength?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
        So a member of the RDF would interview a member of the PDF that is about to retire to see if he is suitable to join the RDF in order to meet his contractual obligations?
        Did I say a member of the RDF?

Remember we are trying to get the RDF to PDF standards.

But yes maybe it would be a good idea to have RDF on interview boards.

Comment

• No more grat?!? Does it really cost that much a year??
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• He called it Gratuity but what he is describing is the unit fund aka "grant in aid", who knows what he is really talking about, he probably does not know himself

Comment

• Qualification criteria for grats have also been tightened. Previously where a 7 day camp may have counted as 24hrs towards your grat, it no longer does.

Comment

Qualification criteria for grats have also been tightened. Previously where a 7 day camp may have counted as 24hrs towards your grat, it no longer does.
                Hasn't done for years

Comment

• It counted as a camp. Hours were hours. You had to get hours to get camp, you had to have hours +camp to get grat.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Okay, I stand corrected. Was listening to someone last night that missed their grat by a couple of hours and reckoned this was why

Comment

Qualification criteria for grats have also been tightened. Previously where a 7 day camp may have counted as 24hrs towards your grat, it no longer does.
                      Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      Hasn't done for years
                      Not since the increased grat was introduced.

Comment

• You were thinking of hours to retained on the effective strength

Comment

• Prophets of doom are rarely wrong. Well done S&S if its correct. Run me 3400 as a sample setup
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            You were thinking of hours to retained on the effective strength
                            Perhaps. As I say I was eavesdropping a conversation and listening to someone having a whinge who indeed may have had his facts wrong.

It does not affect me either way

Comment

Perhaps. As I say I was eavesdropping a conversation and listening to someone having a whinge who indeed may have had his facts wrong.
                              If he had put in a bit more time, he wouldn't have had to whinge. The minimum requirement for Grat isn't a lot.

Comment

• For grat questions please use the search function

See post 16 from Dev

Comment

Working...
                                X