No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certainly agree that nobody in 2012 were denied 7 days, but in 2010 & 2011, some were refused > 7 days, on the pretence that some within the Unit might require the 7 days, and I say a big 'MIGHT', which normally means didn't.
    So, those that wanted to progress were impeded. Similiarily, in 2012 , we had this predicement, yet it all transpired that we were awash for the Assessments.
    Maybe thats just the South.

Totally agree with the Fitness tests,etc, make the yearly start-line the same for all DF, then at least the Reserve can gain some respect and trust in a uniform manner, as opposed to just individuals.

"Edit : add 3-5 years max service for all ranks above Sgt, unless promoted. Up or out. " - alot more needs to change before this will be effective. Just look at the quantity of merit-based competitions that took place since 2005, which are for CQMS and higher. And it wasn't to do with the appts being full.

Comment

• It would be all together, rather than piecemeal. 451s and 667 PMS systems done properly on same basis as PDF.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by ltsmarty View Post
        Certainly agree that nobody in 2012 were denied 7 days, but in 2010 & 2011, some were refused > 7 days, on the pretence that some within the Unit might require the 7 days, and I say a big 'MIGHT', which normally means didn't.
        So, those that wanted to progress were impeded. Similiarily, in 2012 , we had this predicement, yet it all transpired that we were awash for the Assessments.
        Maybe thats just the South.
        There is an approval process to get more days. The Vast majority of people had their 7 days. A good % had 14 and there was groups of people who had 21+ based on the fact they supported camps etc...
        Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
        Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

• DAIL Answer Thursday 8th Nov 2012

Value for Money Reviews

271. Deputy Gerald Nash asked the Minister for Defence when he will publish a value for money report he has received in relation to the Reserve Defence Forces; if he will outline his vision for the future role of the RDF; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [49348/12]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Alan Shatter): The Value for Money Review of the Reserve Defence Force was completed and submitted to myself and the Secretary General of my Department last month. In advance of its publication, and in line with the guidelines and normal procedure for Value for Money Reviews, the responses to the recommendations are currently being developed. Until such time as these deliberations are finalised, I cannot comment on any aspect of future plans for the Reserve. Whilst I do not have a specific date for publication of the VFM Report, I anticipate that this will take place in the near future

Comment

• Originally posted by Kieran Marum View Post
            DAIL Answer Thursday 8th Nov 2012

Value for Money Reviews

271. Deputy Gerald Nash asked the Minister for Defence when he will publish a value for money report he has received in relation to the Reserve Defence Forces; if he will outline his vision for the future role of the RDF; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [49348/12]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Alan Shatter): The Value for Money Review of the Reserve Defence Force was completed and submitted to myself and the Secretary General of my Department last month. In advance of its publication, and in line with the guidelines and normal procedure for Value for Money Reviews, the responses to the recommendations are currently being developed. Until such time as these deliberations are finalised, I cannot comment on any aspect of future plans for the Reserve. Whilst I do not have a specific date for publication of the VFM Report, I anticipate that this will take place in the near future
            I wonder does the "near future" the minister refers to mean budget day when it will also be announced that the RDF is being axed though it will go mostly unnoticed by Joe Public because of all the other happenings on that day?

Comment

• We aren't being axed. A lot of people expected it and a maybe a look at the plan yesterday though.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                We aren't being axed. A lot of people expected it and a maybe a look at the plan yesterday though.
                Could still be a hatchet job yet,time will tell.

Comment

• VfM report was rejected by cabinet last Tuesday.

A revised version will be reexamined tomorrow. If it is not accepted NOTHING will happen WRT the PDF reorg until Feb 2013 at the earliest!! this is due to the fact that the 240 odd cadre to be reabsorbed back into main units are key to filling appointments in units

No details as to what VfM draft 1 included

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                    VfM report was rejected by cabinet last Tuesday.

A revised version will be reexamined tomorrow. If it is not accepted NOTHING will happen WRT the PDF reorg until Feb 2013 at the earliest!! this is due to the fact that the 240 odd cadre to be reabsorbed back into main units are key to filling appointments in units

Source?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Source?
                      several reputable contacts including GOC and President of RACO

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
                        Any indications as to why it was rejected?

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post

No

Comment

• Eh how can they reject a report?

Recommendations can be rejected but a report is a report.

Anyway it's getting like listening to the Bothair ad - "ARE WE THERE YET, ARE WE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I suspect it is going to be another non event!!!

Comment

• There is little if the Programme for Government in this area. Nothing in labour manifesto but there is in the FG one, and it's an FG MoD which strikes me that this might be bad news and just plain politics

Comment

• And we didn't see that coming this side of a budget.

Gives the minister a free hand to implment cuts as he wants and to let the DF come back to him to see what they can rescue from any cuts he proposes.

Pandering to a VFM report was not where the minister wanted to be three weeks short of a budget... get it off the table and we'll talk after the melt down.

Roll on more closures,reduction in training amalgamation of units, reduction in patrol hours and dare I say it, grounding non essential flying and tying up ships.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Very negative Murph. Too negative.
                                The PDF unit amalgamations are going ahead presently. There was never any point to having CS units who did not have the equipment that was required in their orbat, and being understrength by 33% anyway even if they did have the gear they were supposed to. Thankfully it doesn't appear that political influence determined whose barracks closed and whose didn't. The DF have already made considerable savings compared to all other government agencies, managing to almost half their budget spend annually, while maintaining operational capability.

I'm sure you remember hearing of people who while hanging around the don, asked pilots to take them "for a flip". If those non essential flights are grounded then how bad? The days of pilots taking their aircraft down home to fly over their old school chums houses are long gone. The Air Corpse have succeeded in getting rid of nearly all operational flying by themselves.

As for the NS, I'm assured that better energy management has produced the major savings required, in the long term. The only ships tied up will be those on refit or off Patrol.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X