No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my humble opinion the recommendations as to what we do during "limited training" was just a filler. It wasn't thought through, there wasn't a purpose, it did not allign to any particular syllabus, it was just "make work". And I would challange anyone that says different.

Comment

• Sorry for two posts in a row but I don't think that most people understood what limited training meant.

It was more than just no access to weapons, there was also a complete cut back on any activity that invovled expenditure. In this case expenditure meant petrol/diesel (whatever the damn thing runs on) for transport and rations. People were even prevented from drawing clothing. Unless you can prove some overall national need (such as Easter GOH) you were limited to playing soldiers using whatever was available to you on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night as long you didn't have to be transported to the location at the DF's expense.

In other words "Constructive Dismissal".

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
        In my humble opinion the recommendations as to what we do during "limited training" was just a filler. It wasn't thought through, there wasn't a purpose, it did not allign to any particular syllabus, it was just "make work". And I would challange anyone that says different.
        Thats such a more accurate way of putting it.

Comment

• Gonna ask a question here that anybody who has ever done a stock check will know the answer to.
          How can you account for stock and do an accurate check if stock is still going out and expenditure is continuing??
          Answer on a postcard to: My unit is closing along with all its accounts and all items must be accounted for and no money spent competition
          PO Box RDF reorg
          shut the f**k up whinging ville
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• At the same time Apod a stock check shouldn't take 3 months

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              At the same time Apod a stock check shouldn't take 3 months
              You have clearly never dealt with any of the Group Stores in the Curragh

Comment

• No

But for example, they could have allowed weapons training in Jan/Feb (that would mean more people parading so better chance of getting CEMO etc back.

Then the third month conduct the stocktake.

You have to bear in mind that in most cases RDF stores may be one 2 hours a week max, and there wouldn't be weapons going on courses etc.

Just remembered Apod's comment about issuing and stocktaking (try telling that to my previous employer

Comment

• Dev,

All but a few cadre have been redeployed. Accounts have been closed. All equipment must be requisitoned and issued to new units. All of this takes considerable time. It is not as simple as you appear to think.

Comment

• And it shouldn't have been as complicated as the DF made it either. Organisations do this all the time and the DF way is an example of how not to do things efficiently.

Comment

And it shouldn't have been as complicated as the DF made it either. Organisations do this all the time and the DF way is an example of how not to do things efficiently.
                      Perhaps but other organisations do not have a regulated way of doing things.

The main criticism I have is that they took the cadres away too early. There was still a trojun amount of work to be done when they redeployed the key staff. Especially when you consider that RDF administraton is about 85% different to PDF admin.

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                        Dev,

All but a few cadre have been redeployed. Accounts have been closed. All equipment must be requisitoned and issued to new units. All of this takes considerable time. It is not as simple as you appear to think.
                        Probably a lot to do with it alright but how long did it take for the PDF reorg?
                        I assume PDF recruit training, training for overseas, duties still took place!

Anything like stores must be accountable for at all times, not just for an audit and closing of accounts.

The industry I'm in is probably as regulated as the DF

Comment

• Once you flag an account for stocktaking it is locked until the results are launched.

There are still ongoing account handovers from PDF reorg.

Comment

Perhaps but other organisations do not have a regulated way of doing things.

The main criticism I have is that they took the cadres away too early. There was still a trojun amount of work to be done when they redeployed the key staff. Especially when you consider that RDF administraton is about 85% different to PDF admin.
                            A lot of organisations have regulated ways of doing things (in fact most large organisations do). Regulation should not be used to excuse incompetance.

In addition to removing the cadre too early (which had a very predictable outcome) they placed absolutely no reliance on the existing reserve management structure. After a couple of months of firing questions up the chain of command we finally got a briefing from our new CO (PDF Bn). He explained the difficulties he had going through the PDF re-org and to expect similar in the RDF. I asked him what steps we should take to make the transition smoother and instead of getting well Captain So and So will give you a list of things that need to be done from a Q point of view and CS Y will give you a list of A tasks that need to be completed, plus here is a schedule of timelines for all these things. All I got was "manage the rumours and expect delays". At that point I turned around to my Coy Commander and said "it looks like we are on our own as usual".

So what we have done off our own bat is to identify what documentation needed to be destroyed (and safely destroyed it), identified what needed to be kept (but are still looking for a home for it, you know minor records such as ammo diaries). Identified what A documentation needs to follow the individual as he or she is moved to their new location.

Basically the RDF management was completely and incorrectly ignored in this process. Yes there are some that are about as useful as a cabbage on legs but there is a hell of a lot that know a hell of lot on how an RDF unit operates and that knowledge was completely ignored.

So my rating for the DF's abilities to effectively manage change? That would be an F Bob.

Comment

So what we have done off our own bat is to identify what documentation needed to be destroyed (and safely destroyed it), identified what needed to be kept (but are still looking for a home for it, you know minor records such as ammo diaries). Identified what A documentation needs to follow the individual as he or she is moved to their new location.

Basically the RDF management was completely and incorrectly ignored in this process. Yes there are some that are about as useful as a cabbage on legs but there is a hell of a lot that know a hell of lot on how an RDF unit operates and that knowledge was completely ignored..
                              I presume that before you under took this task that you read A8 and lisised with OIC Records before even a postit was dumped?

Comment

Once you flag an account for stocktaking it is locked until the results are launched.

There are still ongoing account handovers from PDF reorg.
                                So phased then more than likely, why could they do that for the RDF.

For example, all 62 & 65 RIBs return all soft ordnance etc to stores (give them 1 month), then to be issued (from loan book) as required only. For the next two weeks do the stock check (stores closed), kit then given over on charge to 7 Inf Bn (under a designed CQ) and until the new establishment takes form 62 & 65 draw from those stores as required.

Comment

Working...
                                X