The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
    There has been no instruction issued on what to do with what. We were informed two weeks after our cadre left that we shouldn't be where we where we are as we were shut down. When we asked what we were do with our records we were told dump them there was nothing relevent. So you know where your can put your A8 don't you.
    So units can now pick and choose what regulations they want to adhere to? Handy! And sure if someone decides to make an issue of this breach of regulations all you have to do is not parade until the dust settles

Ps. What do you meam no instruction? There is an ENTIRE chapter given over to it, going into pretty good detail as to what constitutes what classificstion of document and its retention period.
    Last edited by midnight oil; 23 March 2013, 23:21.

Comment

• I wish I could have introduced you to some of my former COs who had different interpretations of that, it would have saved me a hell of a lot of time. BTW I realised a long time ago that my signature was irrelvent but that still didn't mean that I did act responsible with the equipment under my care.

What I found very funny in the recent re-organisation was how much equipment was not on the ordinance or any other official register. We had all our official equipment taken off us back at the start of February. We still had plenty of stuff left, and officialy we were shut down.

Midnight Oil you are really trying to defend the indefensible here. The communication has been dreadful, the instructions incomplete. This is the second re-org of the RDF I have been through and while it is a more complete re-organisation than the one in 2005, there was an awful lot more instructions as to what to do with what equipment, documentation etc. in the 2005 than has happened now. AND in the 2005 re-org you stilll had the cadre, while in the current one you got rid of the cadre in the first month, ignored the RDF management and failed to address any of the key points. As I said before I wish your PR officers well in the coming months.

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
        So units can now pick and choose what regulations they want to adhere to? Handy! And sure if someone decides to make an issue of this breach of regulations all you have to do is not parade until the dust settles

Ps. What do you meam no instruction? There is an ENTIRE chapter given over to it, going into pretty good detail as to what constitutes what classificstion of document and its retention period.
        Basically yes. I think you are beginning to understand what I am bitching about. The DF used to communicate to the RDF through the Cadre. It never trusted the RDF Management enough to educate them directly. Then during its biggest re-organisation of the RDF it got rid of the Cadre early on in the process (yes there were some left but lets be honest any one that was actually capable of something was posted back into the PDF) and did not replace them with a proper communication processs.

That means you will have some units who will have disposed of their documentation in accordance with A8 and you will have some units who will have given it to their local chipper to wrap the chips in.

Comment

• Astonishing!

That is all I can say.

Comment

Astonishing!

That is all I can say.
            Finally, the PDF understand.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Finally, the PDF understand.....
              Quite the opposite. From my perspective it highlights why the "RDF management" were not more involved when they show a blatent disregard for the military legal and administrative system. It is very easy to say that I didnt know what to do because the Cpl has been redeployed.

Comment

• DF regulations for the RDF tend to be given need to know levels of access, i.e. according to cadre most RDF did not need to know so they were not given access. RDF courses only give a brief taste of these regulations so it is difficult to pick these things up during an formal eduction process (assuming you had access to one). For me and my unit one of the biggest education tools was having access to the DF intranet, this opened up access to the regulations that we were supposed to operate under and it significantly improved how we did things. However we were a rarity in having unrestricted access by RDF Senior NCOs and Officers to the Holy grail. In most units it was for Cadre only use.

That meant if the DF wanted us to do something they put in a direct communication. That worked quite well in the last re-org where they did specify what had to be done with what. However in this case they did a half arsed attempt. Then you couple that with Cadre leaving us by the end of month 2. Then a week later they took our access to the intranet away so we no longer had access to the regulations we should be following.

Thankfully I kept last years admin inspection report and used that as a basis for what is considered critical and what is not. Certainly the DF havent't told me. I wonder which absorbs more greese an AF30 or an AF517?

By the way the Data Protection Commissoner won't accept the excuse that was a reservist.

Comment

Quite the opposite. From my perspective it highlights why the "RDF management" were not more involved when they show a blatent disregard for the military legal and administrative system. It is very easy to say that I didnt know what to do because the Cpl has been redeployed.
                  I do agree to a degree but if your chain of command no longer exists?

Comment

• By the way the Data Protection Commissoner won't accept the excuse that was a reservist.
                    You are right. He wont care at all as he has nothing to do with printed documentation. It is Direcor of the National Archives that will care.

I have also never been "taught" regulations. In fact quite the opposite, it is every ones responsibility to familiarise themselves with the regulations. This is why units are supposed to do monthly readings to the troops

Comment

• RDF do not have the authority to carry out an ordnance check
                      beg to differ in light of L2 9.7
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• he DF used to communicate to the RDF through the Cadre
                        Comically it is still trying to do so. 6 and a wakeup.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

You are right. He wont care at all as he has nothing to do with printed documentation. It is Direcor of the National Archives that will care.

I have also never been "taught" regulations. In fact quite the opposite, it is every ones responsibility to familiarise themselves with the regulations. This is why units are supposed to do monthly readings to the troops
                          Having had extensive professional dealings with the Fraud Protection Commissioner's office he views anything that records data about citizens of the state (or residents) as within his ambit regardless of format.
                          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Reading here the "one force concept" already looks a bit shakey to say the least

Comment

That is where you are wrong. He very much cares about printed documents as well as electronic documentation. It is a common mistake that companies and organisations make that gets them into an awful of trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                                That is where you are wrong. He very much cares about printed documents as well as electronic documentation. It is a common mistake that companies and organisations make that gets them into an awful of trouble.
                                Indeed - I would have thought that data protection applies to ALL forms of documentation...
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X