No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They say so, yet at the same time I understand recruiting to be held up by the phantom legions on various (mostly rural) units books.
    Last edited by Come-quickly; 22 July 2013, 21:17. Reason: G'rammar
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      I thought the non effective was gone or due to go.meet your individual KPI's or bye bye.Yeah??
      Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
      They say so, yet at the same time I understand recruiting to be held up by the phantom legions on various (mostly rural) units books.

It is gone but someone who is down as an effective at the time of the reorg is still entitled to a place somewhere, hopefully those who shouldn't have been will be found out on 31 December.

As I said there is now (for the first time) an official leave of absence option.

Comment

• I thought the non effective was gone or due to go.meet your individual KPI's or bye bye.Yeah??
        yep.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          As I said there is now (for the first time) an official leave of absence option.
          Well I'll be applying for leave from camp myself this year. Having recently gone self-employed, it's just not worth my time doing the full week. So I'll hang around long enough to go on Ex, then back to work the next day.

Comment

• There's a number of bods in my unit who didn't do camp but did 7+ days of a PDF ex, since they haven't met their KPIs I wonder will a "fitness assesment" need to be organised for them before December.
            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Congrats SwiftandSure on the self employment, I hope it all goes well for you.

On the subject of the future of the RDF does all these KPI's and PT's bode well at all? Sure as many posts in the last 160 pages indicate the chaff so to speak will be gotten rid of but some of the good grain will be lost too, in the present economic circumstances employment is a much higher priority than RDF service and then factor in the cost of going to the place of training at least once a week.
              As for the idea of recruitment I think the RDF will in the future be mostly made up of people in very close proximity to the barracks as young folks at the moment might not have access to transport and I cannot foresee mammy or daddy waiting outside a barracks for 2 hours on a cold frosty winters night while junior does his weekly training.
              Yes I welcome the introduction of fitness training/tests and I for one am far from fit and will have a lot of work to do.
              Yes I agree that there's a lot of dossers/hangeron's that need to be gotten rid of and certainly a lot of little cliques that need to be broken up.
              Yes the RDF need better training and be better able to function as a military force but need to be used not just there to make up a number on the books.
              No I don't think every training centre should have been closed, yes certainly some of them as an example the were 2 approximately equi distant from me, one should have been kept. To put on a political hat, I think it's another blow to rural Ireland in favour of the urban areas.
              On the subject of commisioned officers, some need to be given a swift kick to the touchline, some of them are no better than some enlisted personnel in that they show up just in time for camp and others are pure hypocrites for criticising NCO's/privates for their abilities yet they themselves sometimes haven't a clue.
              On the subject of the cadre staff there was a need for a shake up but in some instances there is no change, certain little Hitler's still have their cushy numbers and can carry on as before, if some of those were tasked for an oversea's mission I reckon they'd be going on their ticket as it would interfere with their extra curricular activities.
              The VFM addressed some points that needed addressing but on the whole was a load of nonsense compiled by people trying to justify their existance.

Comment

• There's a number of bods in my unit who didn't do camp but did 7+ days of a PDF ex, since they haven't met their KPIs I wonder will a "fitness assesment" need to be organised for them before December.
                Which 2013 KPI is being breached here ? ... have a careful read of them

Comment

• Originally posted by cplmick View Post
                  ......................................On the subject of the future of the RDF does all these KPI's and PT's bode well at all? Sure as many posts in the last 160 pages indicate the chaff so to speak will be gotten rid of but some of the good grain will be lost too, in the present economic circumstances employment is a much higher priority than RDF service and then factor in the cost of going to the place of training at least once a week. ....................................
                  Best post I've read here in a long, long time and it is how I see/saw it too

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                    Which 2013 KPI is being breached here ? ... have a careful read of them
                    The physical fitness survey participation, however the overall individual objective would have been achieved I suppose.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• It just says you have to participate in the survey. However I see TRJs point - a bolshy CO could use the fact you haven't participated to f**k you out. It does not say though you have to be surveyed on Annual Training, just that you participate

Comment

• What if one was significantly fitter than everyone within his or her age group in his or her unit, but missed the fitness survey on camp because he or she was on pass and attending a fitness test and/or other stages of a currently running competition for places in the Permanent Defence Forces?
                        SWEAT SAVES BLOOD

Comment

• just back in from my training if everythings like this it's got a good future.

Comment

just back in from my training if everythings like this it's got a good future.
                            What were yous at?
                            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                            He put a bullet through his brain.
                            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Lucky you, no change at this callsign. Same cake. Same arse. Same party.

Comment

Did ye get sorted on the driver front ?
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X