Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    As you said chicken and egg.

I reckon its only a matter of time that those in the public sector lose their entitlement to a weeks paid leave to undertake FTT, In fact its a wonder it was highlighted already,

The private sector...incentivise, and then maybe.
    I worked in the Dept of Social Welfare, as it was in the late 70's, and got special leave to go on camp. When I transferred to the Revenue in the early 80's all my requests for special leave for camp were refused. My understanding is that it was that special leave for FTT was at the discretion of the Department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pook View Post
      I worked in the Dept of Social Welfare, as it was in the late 70's, and got special leave to go on camp. When I transferred to the Revenue in the early 80's all my requests for special leave for camp were refused. My understanding is that it was that special leave for FTT was at the discretion of the Department.
      I served with a guy who worked for Dublin Corporation (as it was then). He got 3 day's paid leave for a week's FTT, or 7 days for 14 day's FTT
      Don't know if this is still in place or not...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Don't know if this is still in place or not

Certainly is, even gets a mention in the HSE new entrants handbook.

7 days paid leave for the purposes of FTT.Needs to be supported by a letter of request from Unit and is granted as per the needs of the service you work in, but it is available,

I wonder could I claim back a week per year of service...seeing as my NS time is reckonable for my HSE pension in 19 years time.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The 31 reservists joined their full-time colleagues from 40 Commando Royal Marines for the major workout at the US Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Centre in Twentynine Palms.

Marine Matt Vickers is a student from Exeter and also a member of Royal Marines Reserve (RMR) Bristol. He deployed on Black Alligator 13 attached to Delta Company.

He said:

“Taking part in exercises like this gives reservists the opportunity to use the equipment and the weapons systems that we are trained on but rarely get to use in the UK.

“Here we have a massive area in which to practise and build our confidence and skills.”

As a full-time student, Marine Vickers needs to balance his studies with the demands of being in the Royal Marines Reserve, but he finds the time in his busy schedule.

“I may be a reservist but that doesn’t make me any less of a marine as we all undergo the same training, we’re all motivated and keen to get the job done,” he said.

“I’m extremely proud to wear the green beret.

Also on the 935-square-mile desert range was Marine Pete Madden, a member of RMR Merseyside’s Manchester detachment working with Alpha Company.

Back in the UK, the Royal Marines reservist is also a church youth worker on Teesside. He said:

“I’ve been a reservist for 3 years now and exercises like Black Alligator are ideal as we get a lot of training into a relatively short period of time.

“We are always kept busy on exercise and because we’re fully integrated into 40 Commando we never feel that as reservists we are in some way different.

“We just get on with the exercises and all of the training we have received quickly comes back to us.”

Exercise Black Alligator 13 saw more than 800 full-time and reserve marines from 40 Commando and the RMR and Dutch marines deployed to the USA.

Next year will see the men of 40 Commando take over as the UK’s high readiness Lead Commando Group – a contingency force able to deploy anywhere in the world at very short notice.

Major Innes Catton, the Officer Commanding Alpha Company, said:

“Training and validation of this nature are vital to ensure the combat readiness of the Lead Commando Group.

“When you have reservists alongside you see how successfully the RMR works as there’s no extra effort required with the reservists – they’re all turbo-enthused.”

The next opportunity for a large scale RMR deployment will be Norway in March 2014 when they will undertake cold weather training alongside the regulars of 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines.

Comment

• Stop teasing.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• All leave for reservists going on FTT who are employed in public sector is discretionary, despite what some commentators have said to the contrary. It is not an entitlement.

FTT leave must be applied for with an official notice/letter from reservist's unit confirming training duration, etc.

Many areas of public sector are not granting it nowadays due to cutbacks and recruitment embargos, etc.
              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• It is not an entitlement

Oh yes it is in the HSE, read the leave entitlement passage in the handbook!!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Which is very fair IMHO

Comment

• Being self employed and getting the square root of fúck all for RDF service, I would seriously consider the donation of a testicle for that deal.

Comment

• That has been there for a very long time across the public service ( IIRC since the 60's/70's ) . Different organizations implement it differently as can be seen. It is one of the very few benefits given in the Irish Public service.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Oh yes it is in the HSE, read the leave entitlement passage in the handbook!!
                          I stand corrected. Obviously entitlement for some sectors.
                          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Special Leave with Pay,

Special Leave with Pay may be granted for

point 4

For annual training with the Defence Forces.

Employee hand book, page 28.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              I get the feeling I'm included in the latter group.
                              You're actually not. Your grievances are legitimate and you've never failed to either defend your view or at the very least offer up an alternative.

I was talking about certain people who don't want the Single Force Concept to work, are quite literally waiting in the wings to pop out every now and again just to throw out a "I told you so" or "You should've taken the hint" and all the other nonsense.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              livid..... thanks minister for the help . Finance act came out yesterday. Yeeehhh now you know where you are on the totem p

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/b...13/b10213d.pdf
                              Ridiculous decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                                Get the hint .................. some of us did before this latest fiasco started
                                Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                                ............... are quite literally waiting in the wings to pop out every now and again just to throw out a "I told you so" or "You should've taken the hint" and all the other nonsense.
                                Happy days, I'm one of "them"

From feedback I'm getting there are plenty more RDF quitting as it's not what they were promised But then again nothing new there
                                Last edited by bunny shooter; 4 November 2013, 21:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X