The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    ...I was talking about certain people who don't want the Single Force Concept to work, are quite literally waiting in the wings to pop out every now and again just to throw out a "I told you so" or "You should've taken the hint" and all the other nonsense...
    much as i don't like to kiss arse, our CGS has a delightful turn of phrase - 'salivating naysayers'...

personally, and while i see S&S points about the ability of the DOD to undertake moralé culling operations, it just amazes me that people (any people) are having this 'reservists can't do the job' argument: in the last year my Regiment has had nearly 15% of its strength in Afghanistan comprised of Reservists (15% of 400+ over 2 tours - including a Troop Commander and SNCO's), they've taken part in a four week exercise in Kenya, done an operational deployment to the Falklands, and done Joint Warrior twice (JTACS, planning staff, techs, everything...).

its mad, its - from here - genuinely like listening to people saying that the Wheel, or fire, or the internet are just fads and won't catch on...

Comment

• Has an over 40s tactics ban appeared at any other units? Doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule just no sleeping in forests it seems. Just a case of CYA from the DOD with no medicals/ITs?
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
        Has an over 40s tactics ban appeared at any other units? Doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule just no sleeping in forests it seems. Just a case of CYA from the DOD with no medicals/ITs?
        I heard recently that if you are over 40 you aren't 'expected' to do tactics. Any truth in this?
        Last edited by bunny shooter; 5 November 2013, 11:26. Reason: Removed irrelevant quotes

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
          I heard recently that if you are over 40 you aren't 'expected' to do tactics. Any truth in this?
          My understanding is that there is an admin order from a particular Bn that prohibited RDF personnel over 40 from partaking in tactical training. I've no idea if that was upheld.

Comment

• A unit was on camp recently, apparently early in week the story was tactics for Over 40s were verboten, the "situation was fluid" and the overnight ex became a come back in at 11/12ish ex and over 40's were not forced to do a night patrol but still walked the 5kish to/from patrol harbour. All bodies not on duty/resting off went out.
            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Which is very fair IMHO
              is it though? why should a Reservist have to use part of his personal Leave Entitlement to complete a military course - or worst case take Unpaid Leave and get paid NOTHING for the privilege?
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• And this is called progress?

Comment

• A unit was on camp recently, apparently early in week the story was tactics for Over 40s were verboten, the "situation was fluid" and the overnight ex became a come back in at 11/12ish ex and over 40's were not forced to do a night patrol but still walked the 5kish to/from patrol harbour. All bodies not on duty/resting off went out.
                  ROFL. in our place its do the job or eff off and resign. O40 ? doesn't matter a shite.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    is it though? why should a Reservist have to use part of his personal Leave Entitlement to complete a military course - or worst case take Unpaid Leave and get paid NOTHING for the privilege?
                    No one forces anyone to join and no employer wants to give people more holidays at their expense (employability)

The DF should be paying!

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      ...The DF should be paying!
                      they should, but they should also be working very hard to persuade employers of the benefits - admittedly medium to long term benefits - of having active reservists in their workforce. there's also a political debate - read 'stark warning' - that active, deployable reservists are a fundamental part of Defence capability, and that if industry makes reserve service impossible the government will have little option but to employ vastly more expensive regulars instead, and industry can cough up higher corporation tax to pay for them.

carrot ideally, but stick if neccesary.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                        they should, but they should also be working very hard to persuade employers of the benefits - admittedly medium to long term benefits - of having active reservists in their workforce. there's also a political debate - read 'stark warning' - that active, deployable reservists are a fundamental part of Defence capability, and that if industry makes reserve service impossible the government will have little option but to employ vastly more expensive regulars instead, and industry can cough up higher corporation tax to pay for them.

carrot ideally, but stick if neccesary.
                        When a VERY senior officer was asked at the latest RDFRA ADC "As part of the Single Force Concept, are we (the Defence Forces) planning to engage in any dialogue with the Reservists' employers seeing as we're practically sharing the same resource?" The most blunt answer of the day was given:

"No".

Which was swiftly followed by, "......we are not contemplating Employment Protection for Reservists, at all".
                        Last edited by SwiftandSure; 5 November 2013, 11:24. Reason: Edited for accuracy

Comment

• do the Defence Forces have any intention of engaging with the employers of Reservists at any level?" The most blunt answer of the day was given:

"No".
                          Not the DF's job in fairness. It's the DOD's. Remember, legislation was on the books guaranteeing a job if you were a called-up reservist , until the 1954 defence act removed it.

The DF cannot legislate; that is the job of the Government, via the Department
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            Not the DF's job in fairness. It's the DOD's. Remember, legislation was on the books guaranteeing a job if you were a called-up reservist , until the 1954 defence act removed it.

The DF cannot legislate; that is the job of the Government, via the Department
                            Oh I know, and he wasn't asked about employment legislation, only employer engagement. He was then asked following that answer as a means of clarification if the DF as an organisation would engage in dialogue with Reservists' employers, any dialogue at all (Even a leaflet that explains what Reservists do). The answer was "No".

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              ... The answer was "No".
                              in which case, i'd suggest you find a new hobby.

without employer/defence engagement, and without even the unspoken possibility of legislation, then this is going nowhere. do it if you really enjoy it, but don't do it thinking you're contributing to Defence, because without employers on board - willingly or not - then a reserve isn't a nacsient capability, its a camping club.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                                in which case, i'd suggest you find a new hobby.

without employer/defence engagement, and without even the unspoken possibility of legislation, then this is going nowhere. do it if you really enjoy it, but don't do it thinking you're contributing to Defence, because without employers on board - willingly or not - then a reserve isn't a nacsient capability, its a camping club.
                                You're preaching to the converted here mate.

With any luck, someone up high will have an epiphany when they're putting together the next White Paper and realise that 30% of the Single Force is fĂșck all use to them without the appropriate legislative enablers and that that might be worth looking at.

Comment

Working...
                                X