Thanks Thanks:  1,068
Likes Likes:  3,308
Dislikes Dislikes:  129
Page 279 of 281 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281 LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 7005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batterysgt View Post
    Auldsod, I'm new to the site, held off for a few years, but monitored it since reorg. Earlier this year RDFRA briefed the dail O.C. on defence that they could do it in 9 weeks on a voluntary capacity and NSR could do it in 8 weeks.Our unit is a bit off that! You said recruits were kept at arms lenght, What did your unit do to change that this year, can you explain it here?
    I heard DFTC is almost ready to start attesting and that it's mostly due to hard work of AR staff anyone have info on how they have done it. PM me. I can't figure out how NSR and one AR Unit have managed to do it so quickly.
    I’m not involved in the process at any location (I was in the previous intake).

It involves prior planning, putting RDF personnel in place to assist Bde Manpower, anticipation & planning in advance (something the RDF generally is absolutely terrible at), engagement in advance with both potential recruits & all the other elements required.

So for example (I’m taking an Semi-educated guess here), you know when the closing date is so interview boards are prepared and trained prior to that, you get in touch with the Gym staff.

You plan dates for interviews and PT test (same weekend) and you plan that to happen within days/weeks of the end of the application window (which means planning is probably 2 months before that).

You have someone who has access to Candidate Manager, has a DF email and has the GDPR training etc to work with Bde Manpower to take some pressure of them. And that of course should be done 1/2 months prior to the end of the competition.

Within days of the end of the competition, they should be getting in touch.
    Last edited by DeV; 18th June 2019 at 09:54.

2. Likes Auldsod, Truck Driver liked this post
    Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    I’m not involved in the process at any location (I was in the previous intake).

It involves prior planning, putting RDF personnel in place to assist Bde Manpower, anticipation & planning in advance (something the RDF generally is absolutely terrible at), engagement in advance with both potential recruits & all the other elements required.

So for example (I’m taking an Semi-educated guess here), you know when the closing date is so interview boards are prepared and trained prior to that, you get in touch with the Gym staff.

You plan dates for interviews and PT test (same weekend) and you plan that to happen within days/weeks of the end of the application window (which means planning is probably 2 months before that).

You have someone who has access to Candidate Manager, has a DF email and has the GDPR training etc to work with Bde Manpower to take some pressure of them. And that of course should be done 1/2 months prior to the end of the competition.

Within days of the end of the competition, they should be getting in touch.
    Thanks and it seems like formations should be doing this and I agree with all you said except "planning in advance (something the RDF generally is absolutely terrible at)", I know RDF who are very good at it but are never given the chance. Thanks again

4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and it seems like formations should be doing this and I agree with all you said except "planning in advance (something the RDF generally is absolutely terrible at)", I know RDF who are very good at it but are never given the chance. Thanks again
    Don’t get me wrong there are some, a minority, who are very good at anticipation, planning, getting buy in and estimates. Generally it isn’t something that most are good at.

You can do it in your sphere of influence and support from higher/supporting elements isn’t always forthcoming.

Anticipation is a key element of an officer or NCO, when they see or hear of something coming up they need to be proactive.

Well done to the NSR who attested another 5 tonight, training commenced in the first week of next month.
    Last edited by DeV; 18th June 2019 at 23:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard DFTC is almost ready to start attesting and that it's mostly due to hard work of AR staff anyone have info on how they have done it. PM me. I can't figure out how NSR and one AR Unit have managed to do it so quickly.
    As I heard mentioned recently, all the admin functions required to get the signatures through are in the one location - that certainly helps. Means those in the recruitment loop can virtually "walk" the paperwork through the process, as against, for example, recruits to 28 Inf Bn, where the paperwork has to go down to Bde HQ in Dublin and back again, etc. This, and the hard work of personnel on the ground manning recruitment stands out in the public domain, personnel volunteering their time to get the wheels moving in the background, etc
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    As I heard mentioned recently, all the admin functions required to get the signatures through are in the one location - that certainly helps. Means those in the recruitment loop can virtually "walk" the paperwork through the process, as against, for example, recruits to 28 Inf Bn, where the paperwork has to go down to Bde HQ in Dublin and back again, etc. This, and the hard work of personnel on the ground manning recruitment stands out in the public domain, personnel volunteering their time to get the wheels moving in the background, etc
    There would be a vehicle going down at least weekly if not daily.

Of course this can be minimised by having the completion of the s/clearance documents, interviews and PT test on 1 day or over a weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    DUNSR got another 5 last night

Post Thanks / Like
    https://mobile.twitter.com/dfreserve...207823872?s=19

Looking like about 17 doing fitness tests in Cathal Brugha today (from the faces it looks like 7 Inf Bn And possibly 2 BCS

Apparently from the applications you can see the units who put in a lot of effort

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    A sad reflection of the current state of the RDF was a photo on Twitter from the RDFRA ADC. About 30 attendees. There was a time when there would be hundreds.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    A sad reflection of the current state of the RDF was a photo on Twitter from the RDFRA ADC. About 30 attendees. There was a time when there would be hundreds.
    Now in fairness, those pics only show about 4/5th of that room

Are sub-unit Committees still represented or is it unit committees (which would mean much less delegates).

Post Thanks / Like
    Now in fairness, those pics only show about 4/5th of that room

Are sub-unit Committees still represented or is it unit committees (which would mean much less delegates).
    I was thinking same thing. Is there a time of year when the those committees are voted in?

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it's a paid manday if I remember correctly so thought there would more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I counted 28. And it is a sad reflection of RDFRA, not the RDF - then again, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Is there a time of year when the those committees are voted in?
    Yes, officially - it is all on their website which hasn't been updated in years, oh, and you have to know the secret password to access it. Don't believe me, take a look yourself http://rdfra.ie/ .
    In the past, everything that governed RDFRA and decisions that were made were freely available on their website. Then they decided that people knew too much and they knobbled the website, stopped the newsletter and do everything in secret. No one knows when the meetings are or who is allowed to go to them because it is a secret, and that is the way they want it.
    Lets put it this way 28 people showed up, and 12 of those are on the NEC. Add in the brigade committees and you suddenly realise that no one outside the committees was probably there...or even told about it.

And forget about organising your own elections and electing your own reps - that sort of thing is very frowned upon - don't want a thing like democracy and representation disturbing the club.

All subunits and units are entitled to send a delegate, possibly 2. And depends if they ever switched over to the new Re-org structure. Wouldn't suit them to and very doubtful that they did.

16. Likes apod, na grohmiti liked this post
    Dislikes DeV disliked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    I counted 28. And it is a sad reflection of RDFRA, not the RDF - then again, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Yes, officially - it is all on their website which hasn't been updated in years, oh, and you have to know the secret password to access it. Don't believe me, take a look yourself http://rdfra.ie/ .
    In the past, everything that governed RDFRA and decisions that were made were freely available on their website. Then they decided that people knew too much and they knobbled the website, stopped the newsletter and do everything in secret. No one knows when the meetings are or who is allowed to go to them because it is a secret, and that is the way they want it.
    Lets put it this way 28 people showed up, and 12 of those are on the NEC. Add in the brigade committees and you suddenly realise that no one outside the committees was probably there...or even told about it.

And forget about organising your own elections and electing your own reps - that sort of thing is very frowned upon - don't want a thing like democracy and representation disturbing the club.

All subunits and units are entitled to send a delegate, possibly 2. And depends if they ever switched over to the new Re-org structure. Wouldn't suit them to and very doubtful that they did.
    I remember many years ago, being active with RDFRA, and encouraging others in the unit to join. Then a young(ish) officer inquired about why I was doing this, and pointed out he had been involved in the early days, when he was still an NCO, in another unit. I had just been to an ADC(though not as a delegate, but a guest of the NEC, long story), and passed on to him printouts of the many motions that were put forward and voted on.
    I never saw them again. He then decided to take over responsibility for communicating the RDFRA mission to the troops. i.e not at all.
    Later on when he inevitably became inactive, others in the unit were able to share the message, but to me it seemed as if this young officer was restricting exposiure of the RDFRA within the unit, except on his terms. I know he continued to supress it whenever he could, and planned other activities on training nights when we had timetabled information sessions for unit members.
    Many at officer rank feared NCO involvement in the RDFRA. They preferred if it was left in the hands of a small clique of officers and senior NCOs.

Post Thanks / Like

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://twitter.com/dfreserve/status...42438658555905

NSR Recruits began their basic training this weekend, really quick turnaround.

Post Thanks / Like
    12 NSR recruits in uniform (from latest intake) started training today

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt realise NSR got DPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt realise NSR got DPM.
    Oh but we can't be getting our GDR covered in muck down in Kilworth can we?

Much easier to spend days doing drill in too!

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a completely unrelated note, I see on TV over the weekend the Former FCA HQ in Lahinch, looking well.
    That is, every solid building and wooden shack within Lahinch Camp, once the pride of the 22nd Inf Mn (and nobody else) has been demolished, and resurfaced to become a part of the "Castle course golf club"(short game academy). From orientation, it seems that what was once the old square was where the Irish Open prizegiving was held. Hard to say for sure as absolutely no evidence of its existence remains.
    2 Camps I experienced there. One was good, a steyr instructor course run by 14th Inf Bn, during a 22nd Bn easter camp, the other was a nightmare, shared with the best, and worst combination of Cav and S&T.
    The place was grossly unsuitable as a place to spend more than one night at. Hopefully it makes a better golf course.
    However there are stull numerous former FCA hqs that have not been repurposed, almost 15 years since most of them closed down.

24. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes ODIN liked this post
    Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that the next RDF recruitment campaign is to start in Sept, not Oct. That's only a few weeks away. Have the applicants from the last campaign started training yet, very little on social media

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that the next RDF recruitment campaign is to start in Sept, not Oct. That's only a few weeks away. Have the applicants from the last campaign started training yet, very little on social media
    NSR have, DFTC have, I think I heard of at least 1 other unit

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    NSR Recruits in the Naval Base this weekend, its their third.

28. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    I applied in the April intake for the 28th Inf, only 3 of us made it past the fitness test and interview. Got the e-mail to process the vetting application on Wednesday there.

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dshane View Post
    I applied in the April intake for the 28th Inf, only 3 of us made it past the fitness test and interview. Got the e-mail to process the vetting application on Wednesday there.
    The time required for the vetting process varies anywhere from from days to months, he ye completed medicals yet?

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    he time required for the vetting process varies anywhere from from days to months
    Considerable work has been done to get this process down for this recruit intake.

DShane how many turned up for the fitness tests when you did it ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Thread Information