Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goc132 View Post
    SwiftandSure
    I'm a little more optimistic about the future of the RDF after seeing the training program for next year. Exciting stuff indeed that's more in keeping with the single force concept.

Don't bank on it
    And just wait and see how all of those courses are run with no privates to take part....
    recruitment should be the ONLY programme. There was no mention of a recruit platoon / recruit intake and training anywhere in sight.
    we are dead without new blood. therefore all of this is just jollies.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      And just wait and see how all of those courses are run with no privates to take part....
      recruitment should be the ONLY programme. There was no mention of a recruit platoon / recruit intake and training anywhere in sight.
      Fresh blood is the lifeline of an organisation like the RDF / reserve element in the single force concept. Acknowledging that there are many who should have taken the hint and "retired", there are many who like myself after 33 years proud service felt that maybe it was time to let the younger generation bring the reserve that step further. It wasn't easy to break with comrades whom I had grown up with, but I had hoped that my decision would be the right one and at last we might have a reserve that the whole Defence Force would rightly be proud of. If the powers that be are serious about making the Reserve element a success then recruitment of eager young warriors should be the uppermost item on their agenda. My gripe - How long does it take for discharge papers to be issued? Why am I still on the "books" ? How many more like me that didn't go forward are still awaiting their discharge? I do not want to be used as an excuse . I want my place to be filled by a recruit, get the numbers right so when the next VFM/KPI comes around some official will not have the opportunity to say "we gave you X amount of places but only Y turned up". I want the reserve to work, best of luck to them, come on give them a break, sort it out and recruit. http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ies/salute.gif

Comment

• And so at the end of the programme the PDF will report it was a failure and therefore the RDF will look even worse than it's being made to look already. Yet more reasons to disband it .............................. which is what the PTB want anyway.

Comment

• And just wait and see how all of those courses are run with no privates to take part....
          Your unit can't address recruiting, neither can mine, until directed to do so. There needs to be a BIG thought to sort out rec admin, processing and central training and it needs to happen now or we will find ourselves months down the line scrambling
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Lads have you read the AdminO, it's says when there will be recruitment and when not.

Comment

• Spartan,

Great post and more or less covers the way I was thinking too.

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
              ................... How many more like me that didn't go forward are still awaiting their discharge? I do not want to be used as an excuse .................
              I ticked the "discharge" box on the initial unit preference form and I got my discharge not long after. It was processed by 12 Bn
              Last edited by bunny shooter; 18 November 2013, 22:07.

Comment

• Discharges are being processed. As for PDF/RDF I have all the stuff I can handle and more, don't have the people to meet the demand, PDF being run ragged where I am. For example I currently have - count them - before april 14 - 6 separate things to staff, all paid, not career course, and not bogey turn up and sit on arse stuff, and its only friggin november. I *wish* they would accelerate the regulations and let us recruit. I have no idea why the foot dragging. Mean time we are living in a very interesting time but that is a chinese curse as well.

Comment

• The order said no recruitment in 2013, recruitment in 2014.

We could have a lot more people leaving next year and it is the overall strength that is looked at as well

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    The order said no recruitment in 2013, recruitment in 2014.

We could have a lot more people leaving next year and it is the overall strength that is looked at as well
                    Yep. That will, of course, be dependent on whether sufficient numbers are discharged after 31/12/13 to meet the establishment figure...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      Not saying anything about you Morpheus but posing a few questions?

Is it Value for Money for the RDF to be recruiting people who will be gone in no time at all. Are we recruiting in order to keep NCOs and officers busy and happy? At this moment in time, should it be about retention of existing soldiers in order to maintain effective numbers? Is a unit that is unable to retain soldiers (possibly by not providing quality training or appropriate challenge) really the best place to place such a limited resource as recruits? Should we limit recruitment to units with a proven record of retention in order to get Value for the taxpayer?

Comment

• Just to let you all know there is much rumbling along deep in the bowels. ( As Hedgehog would say get a laxative )

Comment

• Originally posted by madden View Post
                          Is it Value for Money for the RDF to be recruiting people who wi? Should we limit recruitment to units with a proven record of retention in order to get Value for the taxpayer?
                          How when the units have existed for a total of 8 months?

Comment

• Good point Dev. IN any event Madden I'd cast an extremely searching look at those "units" who didn't really change in the reorg - some of the rural subs for example - where people turn up every week but the standards are shite.

Comment

• Lads, quick Q. What are the KPIs for the RDF now exactly? If it's voluntary training hours, how do the hours breakdown (i.e. Training day = 8 hrs? Parade night = 2 hrs?)

Comment

• This year is the following:
                                32 hrs training (parade night is 2 hours, field day is 4hrs and a weekend 8 is 8 hours)
                                4 hours voluntary unpaid service- ceremonials etc
                                APWT
                                Complete a medical - did anyone actually do this seeing as the PDF can barely get a Medical done.
                                PT Test, though this year was a survey
                                Certified by sub unit commander to unit commander that you applied yourself to Reserve activity in a satisfactory manner

Comment

Working...
                                X