No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On another note, busy year ahead next year by the sounds of it in my unit anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
      This year is the following:
      32 hrs training (parade night is 2 hours, field day is 4hrs and a weekend 8 is 8 hours)
      4 hours voluntary unpaid service- ceremonials etc
      APWT
      Complete a medical - did anyone actually do this seeing as the PDF can barely get a Medical done.
      PT Test, though this year was a survey
      Certified by sub unit commander to unit commander that you applied yourself to Reserve activity in a satisfactory manner
      We're getting word of our KPI's this week.
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
        This year is the following:
        32 hrs training (parade night is 2 hours, field day is 4hrs and a weekend 8 is 8 hours)
        4 hours voluntary unpaid service- ceremonials etc
        APWT
        Complete a medical - did anyone actually do this seeing as the PDF can barely get a Medical done.
        PT Test, though this year was a survey
        Certified by sub unit commander to unit commander that you applied yourself to Reserve activity in a satisfactory manner
        I think filling in a 14b when on FTT ticks the medical box.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          Correct

That changes from next year (as does the hours required)

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
            We're getting word of our KPI's this week.
            ?

For what year?

2013-2015 were given in April !

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              ?

For what year?

2013-2015 were given in April !
              Breakdown for 2013-2014 year AFAIK.

Comment

• Originally posted by madden View Post
                Not saying anything about you Morpheus but posing a few questions?

Is it Value for Money for the RDF to be recruiting people who will be gone in no time at all. Are we recruiting in order to keep NCOs and officers busy and happy? At this moment in time, should it be about retention of existing soldiers in order to maintain effective numbers? Is a unit that is unable to retain soldiers (possibly by not providing quality training or appropriate challenge) really the best place to place such a limited resource as recruits? Should we limit recruitment to units with a proven record of retention in order to get Value for the taxpayer?
                None taken.

its value for money to have a reserve - if used and roled properly. its value for money to hurry the f**k up with the whitepaper and decide what the role is to be. I expect centralised recruitment and some new form of contract. Imagine they called up us reservists tomorrow on full time duty. do you really imagine the DF has the man or will power to go out under the DF act, trying to round up every reservist who decided to flip the bird and go to work instead of turning up for duty - as they may lose their job or may have no hols left when it occurs?

this country needs a reserve or it doesnt.

if it does it needs one similiar to another countries of similiar size etc. having this unique concept of pre 1945 - large scale conflict and invasion - reservists in the modern day and age is absolute horseshit.

employment legislation
                renumeration
                role
                task
                training
                mobilisation
                deployment
                health care and benefits
                all the same - we ARE single force after all... and THAT was coined by the authors of the VFM!!!
                or forget it.

Also being in a rural sub with a 45 minute drive to and from barracks i can tell you that with a sum total of 9 ptes and 7 corporals - of which about 8-10 will turn up each week, its very hard to remain motivated. Its hard to train people who are more disillusioned than you yourself are.
                Last edited by morpheus; 29 November 2013, 17:35.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  IN any event Madden I'd cast an extremely searching look at those "units" who didn't really change in the reorg - some of the rural subs for example - where people turn up every week but the standards are shite.
                  I think all RDF have to take a look at themselves, not just Rural Units. A failure rate of 66% on the Fitness Assessments this year points to almost no Reserve in 2015. And that was amongst the people who would do the test - does not count the skulkers.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                    Yes, unless a course was done, in which case full medical
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Yes, unless a course was done, in which case full medical
                      ? Only if called for by the syllabus, If passing ITs are called for then that implies certain medical standards but only certain courses REQUIRE medicals. The whole DF will grind abruptly to a halt if that was the cae.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                        Breakdown for 2013-2014 year AFAIK.
                        Again ?

Comment

• Comments here indicate there is right now a 2 speed reserve. NSR were always the closest to the PDF but now several AR are getting as much as they can handle as well , as per Morpheus' comment people are right now being asked to help, to see what RDF are capable of. There are still people who think this does not represent the way forward and these usually senior people deserve a severe beating with the stick of truth.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            Comments here indicate there is right now a 2 speed reserve. NSR were always the closest to the PDF but now several AR are getting as much as they can handle as well , as per Morpheus' comment people are right now being asked to help, to see what RDF are capable of. There are still people who think this does not represent the way forward and these usually senior people deserve a severe beating with the stick of truth.
                            Agree. Thankfully in our unit we're getting a good share and thankfully the "we've seen the best of it" SNCOS and O's are on the way out

Comment

• Latest ball hop may not actually be a ball hop....
                              RDF recruitment to begin 2nd quarter 2014.
                              Same fitness requirements as PDF recruits.

anyone else able to confirm the above about recruitment?

KPIs announced for 2014
                              40hrs parade, overnights, weekends
                              1 week FTT
                              8 hrs voluntary - includes prep days for GOH, etc
                              Medicals for everyone
                              conflicted reports that IT's are in for everyone but can pass at grade 5 for THIS year - to be grade 4 next year
                              ITs for courses must still be passed at level required for that course
                              ITs are same as PDF - bar the grade 5 for general assessment
                              ARPs - firing same range tables as PDF

anything ive missed?
                              Last edited by morpheus; 17 January 2014, 11:23.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                              X