The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
    My question is, is it worth it? I'm very interested in the soldiering part of it, but I have no interest in joining a social club that meets up to prick around and then go for pints.
    Depends on the unit - my advice is to go check out the units personally.

There are 2 Artillery Batterys in Athlone and an Engineering Platoon. Check out each unit - go in and ask to see the units in action on a training night. You might also find that a unit might parade on a night that does not suit you. Don't listen to the hype - make up your own mind based on what you see and not on what they tell you (everyone will tell you that their unit is the best).

Then again, the new recruit process might do things different and you might not have the same options.

Comment

• There are 2 Artillery Batterys in Athlone and an Engineering Platoon.
      You can only join the Arty in Athlone ; look at the online form for the locations.

The drinking thing has receded far into the background. The work aspect of it is fully to the fore at the moment. I have 5 full time weeks on offer in the next 3 months ( i.e. before "Annual Training" ( Ha - that concepts' changed ) , I can only do one of those and it is only going to get busier. All of them are smack in the middle of my training and job description . I WISH I was a 3* again and had plenty of free time. Others in their own areas will tell you a lot of the same.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        You can only join the Arty in Athlone ; look at the online form for the locations.

The drinking thing has receded far into the background. The work aspect of it is fully to the fore at the moment. I have 5 full time weeks on offer in the next 3 months ( i.e. before "Annual Training" ( Ha - that concepts' changed ) , I can only do one of those and it is only going to get busier. All of them are smack in the middle of my training and job description . I WISH I was a 3* again and had plenty of free time. Others in their own areas will tell you a lot of the same.
        Likewise. In my location, we are prepping to deliver a couple of courses, the admin of which alone is gonna keep us busy for the next while, and I'm lining up to do a course myself. All told, about 20 days' paid training, if it all comes off
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You can only join the Arty in Athlone ; look at the online form for the locations...
          Really? Thought the Engrs had an RDF element? And 2 Bde Engr Coy is based in Athloe, isn't it ?
          Ah, light bulb moment... No vacancies at that callsign...
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Thanks all, for the replies. What does an RDF Artillery unit actually do? What could i expect from the first year or two?
            Last edited by Schmigs; 10 March 2014, 17:31.

Comment

• What could i expect from the first year or two?
              bangs and loud noises and thats just the women

Comment

The drinking thing has receded far into the background. The work aspect of it is fully to the fore at the moment.
                I have to disagree - depending on where you are.

Athlone, being a Regular Barracks would have a good work ethos because of the supervision.

Others, out in the wilds where no PDF man (or sheep) dare to go, the drinking culture and personal fiefdoms are well and truly entrenched. They don't even refer to themselves by their official title (X Bn) but by their old title from 10 years ago. This fitness "thingy" is not for them and "sure, the FCA, tis there to keep the lads away from those city boyos. A bit of marching and dress up, and we all go to the pub for the night and stare at the fine young one that joined up last week - her Sergeant has claimed her though so don't be staring too hard".

Artillery in Athlone, I would reckon it is a good unit based on location and corp but I would check it out first.

Comment

• Originally posted by madden View Post
                  I have to disagree - depending on where you are.

Athlone, being a Regular Barracks would have a good work ethos because of the supervision.

Others, out in the wilds where no PDF man (or sheep) dare to go, the drinking culture and personal fiefdoms are well and truly entrenched. They don't even refer to themselves by their official title (X Bn) but by their old title from 10 years ago. This fitness "thingy" is not for them and "sure, the FCA, tis there to keep the lads away from those city boyos. A bit of marching and dress up, and we all go to the pub for the night and stare at the fine young one that joined up last week - her Sergeant has claimed her though so don't be staring too hard".

Artillery in Athlone, I would reckon it is a good unit based on location and corp but I would check it out first.
                  The Arty in Athlone traces its history to the 9FAR(FCA) & 4FAR which were both in Mullingar and have the finest Gunners in Ireland !!

Comment

• We're firing the PDF ARPS this year defo as the round count has increased considerably (100 + 10-15%), Progress
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• I've thrown my name in. Now I play the waiting game.

Comment

• Your first year is recruit training (marching, tactical training, Steyr rifle etc), 2nd year is Pte 3* (GPMG, more tactical training), this is all the same no matter what unit your in.

Then you start corps training, in the case of artillery learning the job of each of the gunners job on the 120mm mortar (and possibly 105mm light gun).

Comment

• Is there any hint of a new R5?
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• People were discussing RDF command of PDF. Reg A18 covers this

21. (1) An officer of the Reserve of Officers (First Line) may exercise the power of command for which these Regulations provide only when subject to military law.

(2) An officer of the Reserve of Offices (Army Reserve) may exercise the power of command for which these Regulations provide only when subject to military law and then only over officers of the Reserve of Officers (Army Reserve) and men of the Reserve of Men (Army Reserve) and such other personnel as may from time to time be placed under his command.

Comment

• 2013:
                              1,734 RDF personnel did 23,898 mandays (average 13.7 days each)

Now we have an idea of the effective strength

Comment

• Does this now mean that we get our Grat back????

So even with the restart of recruitment, the RDF are bleeding bodies way faster than they are coming in.
                                Last edited by madden; 7 July 2014, 16:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X