RDF Unit Commanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAG
    Methinks I smell a cluster**** approaching.

In fairness, with the best will in the world, is there any RDF officer out there (with the exception of former PDF officers) who could even begin to approach the level of competence of a PDF Officer of equal rank?
    My thoughts exactly...
    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

A similar point applies to RDF NCOs
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

So do you propose we just go as high as 3* and let the PDF do everything for us? or will we just dispand all together and stop wasting everyones time...

officers *HAVE* to be well trained due to there nature of there work,and granted a lot of that training takes place over time in the RDF with having to climb the ranks and such, but you wouldnt have a part time directing manager in a business, and we shouldnt have RDF officer running a battalion.
        Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

There are pros & cons of have PDF unit commanders:
          - may just be looking for a cushy number, therefore troops only do what HAS to be done
          - unless they come from a corps unit they have experience as a "unit" commander
          - they have much more training & experiece
          - they are not familiar with RDF DFRs
          - they are not familar with the life style etc of the typical RDF private (and up)
          - they are the same rank as the company commanders

There are also pros & cons of RDF unit commanders:
          - it is their chance to do things the way, they should be done (in their view)
          - in most cases they will have commanded a company before
          - in most cases they have experienced all levels of the rank structure
          - they are more familar with RDF DFRs
          - they understand the lifestyle and other commitments the troops have
          - however, they are still the same rank as the company commanders

Comment

Nice thread WC.

For a lifetime I have observed the sub unit commanders of the the batteries of the Artillery Corps in which I served. In the tradition of those Btys the Battery Commander was "the Boss" and their word was law.They were LDF/NBO/FCA/PDF/RDF whatever the current fashion of names.In the field they commanded whoever was attched to the unit no matter where they came from. Like any other job the people grow into the role and seem to gain experience as time goes on. By the time they are promoted to BC they have become well rounded captains of long experience and so are usually considered a "safe pair of hands".

To most people in the Artillery Regiments the BC's are distant figures of authority to be avoided if possible.

But when in early morning sunshine mist or rain the battery forms up on the avenue in the Glen, the shouts of No.1's, the noise of trucks and guns arriving up from the lines , the squelsh of radios being tuned , everyone on the net ok,armed parties being mounted ,equipment checks and "Parties Report" the tension mounts up. The battery settles to attention on "Detachments Front" and silence as a distant figure approaches. Yea its a magic moment of unit pride as the battery is handed over to the BC , each gunner straining to get up the Glen, backs straight, necks to the back of the collar. yea he looks cool, we will be ok this day, his eyes pass over us and then blessed we are off to fire. Make way for the Guns!!
            Last edited by Gunner Who?; 15 May 2005, 03:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner Who?
              Nice thread WC.

For a lifetime I have observed the sub unit commanders of the the batteries of the Artillery Corps in which I served. In the tradition of those Btys the Battery Commander was "the Boss" and their word was law.They were LDF/NBO/FCA/PDF/RDF whatever the current fashion of names.In the field they commanded whoever was attched to the unit no matter where they came from. Like any other job the people grow into the role and seem to gain experience as time goes on. By the time they are promoted to BC they have become well rounded captains of long experience and so are usually considered a "safe pair of hands".

To most people in the Artillery Regiments the BC's are distant figures of authority to be avoided if possible.

But when in early morning sunshine mist or rain the battery forms up on the avenue in the Glen, the shouts of No.1's, the noise of trucks and guns arriving up from the lines , the squelsh of radios being tuned , everyone on the net ok,armed parties being mounted ,equipment checks and "parties report" the tension mounts up, the battery settles to attention on "Detachments Front" and silence as a distant figure approaches. Yea its a magic moment of unit pride as the battery is handed over to the BC , each gunner straining to get up the Glen, backs straight, necks to the back of the collar. yea he looks cool, we will be ok this day, his eyes pass over us and then blessed we are off to fire. Make way for the Guns!!
              Very poetic, Gunner Who. I almost shed a tear....
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

RDF personnel will command all the sub units of infantry (ie Inf Coy) and artillery (ie Arty Bty & AD Bty), as is currently the case.

However, from October, the sub-units of the LSB (ie Tpt Coy, Med Coy) and the other 2 corps units (ie Fd CIS Coy and MP Coy) will also be commanded by RDF personnel.

The bigger units (ie Inf Bn, FAR and LSB) will have PDF COs, as is currently the case with Inf Bns and FARs.

Comment

in early morning sunshine mist or rain the battery forms up
                  Usually rain.

Gunner Who? makes a very good point, I'm a lot more scared of the BC than the PDF CO

Comment

i have to say my bc, is very approachable, and will gladly eat all your bicuits!
                    The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

But when in early morning sunshine mist or rain the battery forms up on the avenue in the Glen, the shouts of No.1's, the noise of trucks and guns arriving up from the lines , the squelsh of radios being tuned , everyone on the net ok,armed parties being mounted ,equipment checks and "parties report" the tension mounts up, the battery settles to attention on "Detachments Front" and silence as a distant figure approaches. Yea its a magic moment of unit pride as the battery is handed over to the BC , each gunner straining to get up the Glen, backs straight, necks to the back of the collar. yea he looks cool, we will be ok this day, his eyes pass over us and then blessed we are off to fire. Make way for the Guns!!

That made my arm hair stand up, and I'm not even Artillery!
                      WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Working...
                      X