Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual camp, manday restrictions & recruiting from now on (MOD edit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people are missing the point.

only 270 odd recruits were inducted into the RDF this year. As opposed to 1,000 odd in 2007/08

The issue here is 3* and 2-3* trg I think.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by mallen83 View Post

And if there is a problem with accomodation, then double up and move spare beds into these rooms.

The phrase "improvise, adapt, overcome" springs to mind for some reason.
      If you had to have female recruits/privates in with female NCOs then so be it. As long as everyone gets a bed.
      In this day and age, that phrase must be changed to

Improvise, Adapt, do risk assessment to make sure the improvised method is within safety regulations, contact safety officer and RDFRA rep, get their opinion, overcome.

Female NCO's regularily share with Female recruits/Privates.

The problem isn't just beds, it's showers, there has to be enough shower and a big enough hot water tank that everyone can have one in the interest of Hygiene.
      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
        And then all of a sudden, the week leading up to the Corpus Christie parade i was told that if i don't attend then i can forget about going to camp at all. But i could not go, not only that but this is in the middle of my Leaving Cert.
        What business is it for an RDF unit to be taking part in such an event? Surely if members of the relevant faith want to take part in such a thing and are given permission to do so then that is fine, but making people attend such an event in this day and age? I thought we'd moved on.

Comment

Only Ossifers are being asked to attend from our unit, Allah be praised
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Wesht cork is still living in the 1950s.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the weshht, nor the Easshht, nor the shhouth. Its those dodgy fellas up the nor'd that need looking out for boi!

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                Nothing wrong with the weshht, nor the Easshht, nor the shhouth. Its those dodgy fellas up the nor'd that need looking out for boi!
                Damn straight as the county counciller for Mitchelstown once said, there maightent be a north coast of Cork but we're working on it.
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

According to the custom and tradition of the service I would have said. Do not knock the participation of a unit in a ceremonial, these are great opportunities to show off the RDF, there are few enough of them as it is.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                    According to the custom and tradition of the service I would have said. Do not knock the participation of a unit in a ceremonial, these are great opportunities to show off the RDF, there are few enough of them as it is.
                    I'm not knocking ceremonial at all. What I am knocking is compulsion to attend what is essentially a religious service, something that is niether state or civic which I could understand RDF in participating in. It would be my feeling if members of that faith in question want to take part and the powers that be sanction their uniformed participation then so be it, they are welcome to participate as a personal expression of faith - I don't think compulsion should come into the issue, which is what appears to happened to this young man.

Comment

um... it's a detail.... just like any other.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
                        But hasn't recruit camp being cancelled for this year. So every unit is going away on their own. So, where lies the problem with accomodation because surely you are dealing with smaller numbers instead!
                        What do you mean?

Our recruits and their training NCOs are going off with another unit to complete their recruit FTT while the rest of the unit will do FTT in our home bks or an location in the south. Some are even doing both.
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                          um... it's a detail.... just like any other.
                          Would a Muslim be detailed to do anything like the Corpus Christie if they said they have reservations against it?

Actually come to think of it, in the RDF it is Unit's who are detailed not people.

The Minister has stated in the past that the RDF is a voluntary thing, where members choose what they want to do. (Paraphrasing) There is not much in the RDF I choose not to do, but I don't attend religious anything as a matter of course, and the only RDF religious thing to come up I did not attend it's just not my thing.

Of course citing being an Athiest could also be something I could be called up on as when I first went up to join I was asked my religion I did identify myself as a christian, something I no longer do.

So back to my original point, if a Muslim could get out of a religious detail, why should an Athiest not?
                          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

RDF cannot be detailed we are volunteers and if we don't turn up there is nothing tangable that can be done to you.

Comment

That being said, what is military and what is non military?

We, like other units, have an annual mass. This is to commemerate those that have gone before and so we parade at the company lines and march to the church.

Back in the days when the PDF Comdt was the CO we were told. "You will parade to honour the dead of this unit, their family and friends. What you do at the church is your own bussiness."

He also said some other colourful things about other religeons and non believers before admitting that he was not catholic but like the president of the time would attend as the CO.
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Mod: Stick to topic

Comments on religion in the DF

Comments on volunteers in RDF

This thread in on Annual Camp
                                "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Working...
                                X